Per ESPN/Schefter, Hawks trade for OT Duane Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJrmb

Reaction score
So can we finally have people stop arguing that Seattle's philosophy is to scrimp on the O-line???

Josea16

Reaction score
pmedic920":1vw6gb2o said:
This just occurred to me, sure it’s obvious but it makes me even more stoked.

Brown has been practicing (on a regular basis) against Watt and Clowney for a good minute.
I guess it’s part of what makes him a top tier LT.

I see this as added/hidden value.

Not many guys in the league get to practice at that level.
Except in Seattle. Look all you need to know is listen to Dwight Freeny and what he said and how he actually played. Skip Bayless isn't liking us currently.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
ringless":3c30pimf said:
9.7m cap hit next season at 33. That's pretty high risk move IMO. But I'm guessing this move was more of a short term in mind type regardless. Not a lot of linemen perform well past 33-34 as with most positions.

I guess time will tell as always if it's a good trade or not. Definitely high risk (age, contract, draft picks) high reward (top 10 tackle)

Low risk high reward to me. We don't lose much but could get a championship out of this

Josea16

Reaction score
DJrmb":1qqr1o1c said:
So can we finally have people stop arguing that Seattle's philosophy is to scrimp on the O-line???
They never have if you're good like Britt.

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":3rktsro6 said:
kidhawk":3rktsro6 said:
Signing bonus accelerated to the season in which a player is traded. Can you link us the rule that allows the bonus to hit next year because I've never seen it anywhere

Post-June 1 retirements and trades are treated the same way as a Post-June 1 release.

http://russellstreetreport.com/salaryca ... -cap-faqs/

Can't find anything more official but lots of references hat it works just like a release

Directly from your link...

Just like with the release of a player, the remaining unaccounted-for bonus pro-rations will accelerate and count against the team’s Salary Cap.

All remaining bonuses already paid and prorated accelerate to count against the current cap.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I hope that the Cable Curse doesn't fall on Brown. I would hate to see him at RG instead of LT simply because Cable wants to see his versatility.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2308tege said:
Ideally, Ifedi will move back to RG once George Fant returns next season. If Brown loses a step with age, then a move to RT might benefit him in the long run.

I'm genuinely excited about the future of the offensive line with Justin Britt locking down center, Brown giving us a consistent presence at OT, Fant providing otherworldly athleticism, Pocic showing potential, and hopefully Ifedi moving back inside where he can give us a physical presence without being abused by as many outside rushers.

That's how huge this trade is.

Ifedi wasn't that great at RG. He's either going to make it at Tackle or not at all. He seems more natural at Tackle imo.

Also not sure Fant can play RT. Have they ever had him there? I know some guys prefer one side or the other on the edges. Not so big a deal on the interior, but it still can affect guys. it's still not a bad thing to have him as a reserve swing Tackle and learn from Brown. Awesome to go from not having a LT to having a hedge after grabbing one of the top 5 in the league.

This move makes us sooooo deep. It's amazing. Not only this year but next year.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":38mf3tov said:
Well I hope that the Cable Curse doesn't fall on Brown. I would hate to see him at RG instead of LT simply because Cable wants to see his versatility.

For maximum versatility he'll put him on the bench so he can replace anyone later. :2thumbs:

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Hawks46":1076zfl3 said:
hawknation2017":1076zfl3 said:
Ideally, Ifedi will move back to RG once George Fant returns next season. If Brown loses a step with age, then a move to RT might benefit him in the long run.

I'm genuinely excited about the future of the offensive line with Justin Britt locking down center, Brown giving us a consistent presence at OT, Fant providing otherworldly athleticism, Pocic showing potential, and hopefully Ifedi moving back inside where he can give us a physical presence without being abused by as many outside rushers.

Ifedi wasn't that great at RG. He's either going to make it at Tackle or not at all. He seems more natural at Tackle imo.

Also not sure Fant can play RT. Have they ever had him there? I know some guys prefer one side or the other on the edges. Not so big a deal on the interior, but it still can affect guys. it's still not a bad thing to have him as a reserve swing Tackle and learn from Brown. Awesome to go from not having a LT to having a hedge after grabbing one of the top 5 in the league.

I think Ifedi looked better at RG than RT, personally. And he was a rookie who missed training camp practices due to injury. But we shall see. We won't find out until 2018 when Fant returns.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2017":23n99je5 said:
Hawks46":23n99je5 said:
hawknation2017":23n99je5 said:

I think Ifedi looked better at RG than RT, personally. And he was a rookie who missed training camp practices due to injury. But we shall see. We won't find out until 2018 when Fant returns.

Tobin, Battle, Fant, Brown, and I know I am missing others, we won't keep them all now.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
chris98251":396ywdwf said:
hawknation2017":396ywdwf said:
Hawks46":396ywdwf said:
hawknation2017":396ywdwf said:

Tobin, Battle, Fant, Brown, and I know I am missing others, we won't keep them all now.

Tobin/Battle couldn't see the field over Odi. :/

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Tinymac2":cuna75qe said:
Hawk_Nation":cuna75qe said:
Seymour":cuna75qe said:
Tinymac2":cuna75qe said:
So pissed. You bring in a 23 year LT and take care of the issue for a decade. DB gives us 2-3 years. What a long term waste.

Where is this 23 yr old LT that starts next Sunday?

They are always available on Madden!

Wouldn't the last draft or the prior three have been the appropriate place to address the issue.

You got a time machine that Schneider can borrow? Would you rather have DB for 2-3 years and a significantly higher possibility of winning a ring this year? Or would you rather wait and MAYBE be able to draft a LT that probably isn't as good as DB at pick number 27 next year? Can't wait to see your answers.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":28f009vt said:
mikeak":28f009vt said:
kidhawk":28f009vt said:
Signing bonus accelerated to the season in which a player is traded. Can you link us the rule that allows the bonus to hit next year because I've never seen it anywhere

Post-June 1 retirements and trades are treated the same way as a Post-June 1 release.

http://russellstreetreport.com/salaryca ... -cap-faqs/

Can't find anything more official but lots of references hat it works just like a release

Directly from your link...

Just like with the release of a player, the remaining unaccounted-for bonus pro-rations will accelerate and count against the team’s Salary Cap.

All remaining bonuses already paid and prorated accelerate to count against the current cap.

Key word is REMAINING

It excludes signing bonus which we all know in case of release can be pushed to next year. By knowing that it clearly showed hat the sentence quoted doesn't apply to signing bonus. REMAINING bonus would be performance bonus etc

Edit: confirmed as 2019 cap spend for Lane $6 million

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't love that we are robbing Peter to pay Paul a second time this season but I can understand it. I suspect my discount rate for wins over time is lower than most and I'm concerned we'll be in a tight spot this off-season if the salary cap doesn't go up. Weighing current performance against future performance is one of the few areas where the interest of the front office doesn't always align perfectly with that of the season ticket holders.

mikeak

Reaction score
AgentDib":3lsshpin said:
I don't love that we are robbing Peter to pay Paul a second time this season but I can understand it. I suspect my discount rate for wins over time is lower than most and I'm concerned we'll be in a tight spot this off-season if the salary cap doesn't go up. Weighing current performance against future performance is one of the few areas where the interest of the front office doesn't always align perfectly with that of the season ticket holders.

A bit sidetracked but look at my link below. It is interesting from the perspective that we are not heavy with debt into future seasons. The main issue will be the number of FA. I said before this year that I felt we really had to hit homeruns in the draft to afford our team into the future. I think if Malik comes back and Darboh can develop we got some of that, but clearly we have a lot of guys we can't sign for big deals...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/

Separately - Kidhawk. Note hat they have $6million for Lane at 2019 cap spend at the bottom of the page

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":26lxtioj said:
This next off season is going to be the year of hard choices.
Thank God they already have a new base core in place right? You're right that change is coming but we have the core on both sides of the ball to be fine and Russell Wilson. We also have plenty of cap space after 2017.

Likely we will be offense heavy or balanced like Kansas City for 4-5 years though. That ok with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts