Not open for further replies.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DuaneBrown76/status/925187089678954496[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JForsett/status/925189080702443521[/tweet]

irocdave

Reaction score
Tinymac2":1lh2hhes said:
So pissed. You bring in a 23 year old LT and take care of the issue for a decade. DB gives us 2-3 years. What a long term waste.

Perfect world, yea, thats what you do. Realistically, if your not drafting top 10 you dont get the guy your talking about. You dam sure arent trading for him either because no other team is willing to give up the guy your referencing for anything except a top tier QB.

THAT is todays NFL.

irocdave

Reaction score
Thunderkyss":1bppuiwb said:
Congrats guys, you've got a great player. He's been one of my favorite Texans for a long time. He's a warrior. He gives you 100% on the field & has been great in the community.

I knew he was going to be traded when he called our owner's comments ignorant over the weekend. I didn't want to admit it, but it seemed like he didn't really want to be here.

We need a LT, bad... We traded Duane Brown. You just gotta know something else is going on here. But DB76 is a stand up guy, so I doubt he'll ever leak what the real issue was.

I will caution you though, he blew his quad I think in his right leg. Though he played well I the final 12 games of 2016 some have speculated his hold out this summer was because he is unsure how long he'll be able to play at an elite level.

Some believe his hold out was due to management getting on him for raising a fist during the national anthem last season (really the only form of protest from any Texans until yesterday).

I don't know about all that. I did think a $9.6M salary was sufficient salary for him. I believe there were only two OTs in the league pocketing more in 2016 (not cap hit, real cash).

Anyway, I hope he plays until he's 40. I really hate seeing him go.

Thanks for posting, and for the heads up. If you really need a left tackle, I'm sure JS can swing a deal on our previous lightly used starter, Reece Odi'ole....for a 2nd round pick in 2019 :D

Seriously, you guys have "they guy" behind center, and to be honest, as a life long Hawk fan, good riddance, dont want anymore of the Texans this year.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
renofox":3fpjrpt9 said:
Fade":3fpjrpt9 said:
kidhawk":3fpjrpt9 said:
I guess I still need to reiterate that trading Lane DOES NOT free up any cap space this year.
Not correct according to the salary cap calculator on overthecap.com

Seattle gains $1.5M in cap space by trading him. Go to 2017 -> Find Jeremy Lane and select trade transaction.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/seattle-seahawks/

I believe those calculations are dependent on being traded before season starts and player earns game checks:

(salary) 4,000,000 +
(this year's pro-rated signing bonus) 1,250,000 =
(this year's cap number) 5,250,000 -
(this year's dead money [from accelerated signing bonus] if traded) 3,750,000 =
(cap savings from trade before paying any salary) 1,500,000

Since we've already paid him games checks, his cap number for this year is now:

(payroll paid this year) 7/16 * 4,000,000 = 1,750,000 +
(this year's cap number after trade) 5,500,000

Now subtract

(this year's cap number before trade) 5,250,000

and we actually take a cap hit of 250,000 on this trade

This is incorrect.

The 1.25 million signing bonus proration for 2018 & $1.25 mil for 2019 doesn't hit the cap until 2018 now (2.5 mil cap charge).

We save $2,117,647 on the 2017 salary cap for this JL trade (Lane's remaining 2017 base salary that HOU will pay)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Cc5674":3o2dp03t said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3o2dp03t said:
Seahawks are taking risks but at least they are trying... lot of wisdom coming in on both lines with Freeney and Brown.

It wouldn't have surprised me at all if part of the game plan was exposing the Texans secondary to make Lane seem like a necessity as well an audition for Brown playing in his first game of The season.

Yeah that was the plan All along. Pete told the O line to suck as usual so they could not run the ball so Russell throws for big yards and exposed Houston’s secondary. The other vital element was the LOB allowing 38 points to a rookie QB at home. That was quite a plan. I have read a few dumb posts in my days but this is one of the dumbest ever. Russell played his butt off and had to because the rookie on the other side was putting up big time numbers. Brown is an upgrade no doubt but not so sure giving Lane up was brilliant. Shaq got torched yesterday. The whole secondary of the Seahawks got torched at home yesterday. That’s not fantasy like your theory that’s a reality just watch the tape.

Yeah because in my dumbest statement ever I mentioned purposely giving up 38 points or failing to establish a running game.

Reading comprehension goes along ways.

kidhawk

Reaction score
scrummymustard":140aif4u said:
renofox":140aif4u said:
Fade":140aif4u said:
kidhawk":140aif4u said:
I guess I still need to reiterate that trading Lane DOES NOT free up any cap space this year.

Seattle gains $1.5M in cap space by trading him. Go to 2017 -> Find Jeremy Lane and select trade transaction.

I believe those calculations are dependent on being traded before season starts and player earns game checks:

(salary) 4,000,000 +

Now subtract

This is incorrect.

The 1.25 million signing bonus proration for 2018 & $1.25 mil for 2019 doesn't hit the cap until 2018 now (2.5 mil cap charge).

We save $2,117,647 on the 2017 salary cap for this JL trade (Lane's remaining 2017 base salary that HOU will pay)

Signing bonus accelerated to the season in which a player is traded. Can you link us the rule that allows the bonus to hit next year because I've never seen it anywhere

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Hawks46":29p5rlfx said:
Jazzhawk":29p5rlfx said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/925142174043340806[/tweet]
Seems like a lot. I hope Brown has a few good years left in his tank.

Funny, my first thought was that if we can actually keep Brown...it's pretty damn cheap.

Our FO doesn't hit well on 1st round OL picks, and given the state of college OL's, 1st round talent isn't a given anyways.

Understatement of the century regarding this team and the ability to identify first-round offensive line talent.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's an alright trade, but I'm not overly excited, honestly.

That second is an important asset, and Brown is older and there are some concerns about his health/ability to play at a high level for much longer.

The only thing I do like is that his salary is way under market.

I just wish Fant hadn't been injured in the first place. We'd have better play than O provided at LT, a year growth for a great prospect, and our draft assets.

But, hey, on the plus side? Our line pretty much kicks ass now! Hopefully we can hit a stride in the run game and kick some ass. If we develop a run game, we're gonna crush.

Josea16

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1xf9akzs said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/925143243439988736[/tweet]

Cap space answer.
Wow, so we make our OL average for Lane and a bag of chips with an extension? Seriously that's just ridiculous. Wilson with this current joke of an OL is in the MVP conversation with actual help it's a slam dunk.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I’m glad that Brown is a proven vet. That way he doesn’t need Cable’s teaching. Maybe he can take over that job too. Mentoring the younger players so they actually learn how to block instead of dive.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Fade":2oovbeji said:
This move transforms Seattle's O-Line. From bad to very good.

LT Brown - LG Pocic - C Britt - RG Aboushi - RT Ifedi

LT - Top 10ish LT
LG - early but so far top 10 Guard in pass pro.
C - Top 10 Center.
RG - Grizzled vet, that excels at pass pro.
RT - 1st round talent, 1st year at RT, still developing, very raw coming out of college.

This will sound crazy to some but Seattle is going to have one of the best Pass Protecting O-Lines in football by the end of the year.

I don't think we can say we have a great pass pro OL when Ifedi is a bit of a turnstile but I do like that Pocic and Aboushi are much more solid in pass pro than Glowinski.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
"It wouldn't have surprised me at all if part of the game plan was exposing the Texans secondary to make Lane seem like a necessity as well an audition for Brown playing in his first game of The season."

lol... wut?

Or maybe their owner realized the value in trading his most outspoken critic.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Reminder to everyone that the protest issue around brown and the Texans owner is not a subject for this thread or the main forum. We have a forum for off field topics and there is a thread in there. Any and all mentions of that in this thread will be removed. Thank you now let's get back to wing happ about solidifying our LT position

Josea16

Reaction score
hawknation2017":b5arls16 said:
Thunderkyss":b5arls16 said:
Congrats guys, you've got a great player. He's been one of my favorite Texans for a long time. He's a warrior. He gives you 100% on the field & has been great in the community.

I knew he was going to be traded when he called our owner's comments ignorant over the weekend. I didn't want to admit it, but it seemed like he didn't really want to be here.

We need a LT, bad... We traded Duane Brown. You just gotta know something else is going on here. But DB76 is a stand up guy, so I doubt he'll ever leak what the real issue was.

I will caution you though, he blew his quad I think in his right leg. Though he played well I the final 12 games of 2016 some have speculated his hold out this summer was because he is unsure how long he'll be able to play at an elite level.

Some believe his hold out was due to management getting on him for raising a fist during the national anthem last season (really the only form of protest from any Texans until yesterday).

I don't know about all that. I did think a $9.6M salary was sufficient salary for him. I believe there were only two OTs in the league pocketing more in 2016 (not cap hit, real cash).

Anyway, I hope he plays until he's 40. I really hate seeing him go.

Classy post. You've got a hell of a QB. Hope you guys do well against everyone but the Seahawks.
Agreed. I seriously cannot believe Wilson might have a decent OL for the first time in 4 years.

Josea16

Reaction score
kidhawk":14im9bqk said:
Reminder to everyone that the protest issue around brown and the Texans owner is not a subject for this thread or the main forum. We have a forum for off field topics and there is a thread in there. Any and all mentions of that in this thread will be removed. Thank you now let's get back to wing happ about solidifying our LT position
Screw that crap. They are right and I support them. No worries though I get your intent.

pmedic920

Reaction score
This just occurred to me, sure it’s obvious but it makes me even more stoked.

Brown has been practicing (on a regular basis) against Watt and Clowney for a good minute.
I guess it’s part of what makes him a top tier LT.

I see this as added/hidden value.

Not many guys in the league get to practice at that level.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
kidhawk":pdjphpwj said:
scrummymustard":pdjphpwj said:
renofox":pdjphpwj said:
Fade":pdjphpwj said:

(salary) 4,000,000 +

Now subtract

This is incorrect.

Signing bonus accelerated to the season in which a player is traded. Can you link us the rule that allows the bonus to hit next year because I've never seen it anywhere

After June 1, trades/releases the unamortized SB doesn't accelerate until the next league year.

CBA-article 13

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":1mhvusyg said:

Post-June 1 retirements and trades are treated the same way as a Post-June 1 release.

http://russellstreetreport.com/salaryca ... -cap-faqs/

Can't find anything more official but lots of references hat it works just like a release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts