Penny out for Saturday

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Absolutely ridiculous that someone could look at Penny average over 6 yards per carry and put up 750 yards in just 6 starts last year and be like "Lol! That guy sucks!"

We watching the same game?

Hell, are we watching the same SPORT?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Concerning that he is hurt but even 100% healthy should he have been playing much if at all in the first pre-season game?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is interesting how many RBs have trouble staying healthy for us. Basically, unless your name is Lynch, you are going to be injured.

Carson, Rawls, Penny, do we have a RB that lasts a full season as a starter>?

I think some of how we use RB contributes to this.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
It is interesting how many RBs have trouble staying healthy for us. Basically, unless your name is Lynch, you are going to be injured.

I've kept this in the back of my mind for years now, surely it all leads to somewhere.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think it is how we block for RBs. You watch other teams and you can see how their RB is tackled. From in front or from behind. We have guys get swarmed and hit from odd angles all the time.

Haven't looked to see if it is a function of missed blocks and guys dancing trying to find a hole while a tackler is diving at their legs. I haven't charted that one but I've seen enough missed pass blocks and missed assignments to expect there must be some misses in the run blocking too. But haven't checked yet. I seem to remember Rawls was injured because of a blown block.

What I do know is the results indicate a problem. We have had enough RBs that it might be less a case of a RB 'that cannot stay healthy' and how we are setting that RB up for success.

Blame Penny all you want but I don't expect ANY RBs of ours to stay healthy if they are getting 20+ carries a game. Not one since Lynch has been able to; I do not think that is a coincidence.

Last edited:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Are you purposely being obtuse, or do you actually not grasp the differences between those two situations?

When Penny is on the field, he has always performed excellently. *Excellently.* The man is averaging 5.6 yards per carry on his career on about a full seasons worth of rush attempts at 280. He's obviously had severe availability issues, but as I've been telling you for years, he's obviously supremely talented.

I'm surprised you keep coming back for more when time keeps proving you further and further off-base on this point.
He hasn't always performed excellently... You're really stretching the story. YPC numbers also don't tell the whole story. Penny would struggle to do the little things right. Wilson always had to tell him where to line up and his YPC usually were gained off of huge plays. Penny wasn't great at doing simple procedural things correctly. There is a reason why he lost his job to Alex Collins. Stats don't always tell the whole story and they certainly didn't for Penny.

You want to know who lead the league in YPC for several years? Felix Jones. When he started getting more carries consistently his YPC went down.

Penny has been uneven and at times a liability for the Seahawks when on the field. He finally looked like he might be putting things together. For what we paid for him he was definitely worth giving a prove it contract at the cut rate price we got. That being said, Penny has a lot left to prove yet. For all we know he could pull a Rawls or backslide. Penny has a history of being complacent (showed up 15-25 pounds overweight most off seasons, had poor attitude/entitled).

OP
OP
samwize77

samwize77

Reaction score
I'm still hopeful for the guy. But to me this is basically it. I kind of want to see a season out of him. Or at least a better part of a season. RB's get banged up...I get it. But damn.
I'll add this to my thoughts.......PC/JS knew Carson wasn't going to make it....and they also know Pennys injury prone. Hence KW in the 2nd round. Good pick guys!! I think it speaks volumes to not only how they want to be a running team, but also their faith in Penny being available.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He hasn't always performed excellently... You're really stretching the story. YPC numbers also don't tell the whole story. Penny would struggle to do the little things right. Wilson always had to tell him where to line up and his YPC usually were gained off of huge plays. Penny wasn't great at doing simple procedural things correctly. There is a reason why he lost his job to Alex Collins. Stats don't always tell the whole story and they certainly didn't for Penny.

You want to know who lead the league in YPC for several years? Felix Jones. When he started getting more carries consistently his YPC went down.

Penny has been uneven and at times a liability for the Seahawks when on the field. He finally looked like he might be putting things together. For what we paid for him he was definitely worth giving a prove it contract at the cut rate price we got. That being said, Penny has a lot left to prove yet. For all we know he could pull a Rawls or backslide. Penny has a history of being complacent (showed up 15-25 pounds overweight most off seasons, had poor attitude/entitled).
He's pretty much always performed excellently when actually performing, actually.

Not sure why you think begging Felix Jones helps your point here. They're not the same guys, and even if there are similarities, a simple analogy about a guy who played over a decade ago isn't really any sort of analysis that's relevant to Penny's play.

You guys are really hellbent on denying the clear fact that when playing, he HAS been one of the best backs in the league. Easily. The stats agree with the eye test. It's baseless negativity.

keasley45

Reaction score
I thought he just has a tight groin?... in the same way that probably 100 starters across the league are sitting out because one thing or the other is 'tweaked'.
I mean, it's Penny, so I understand the angst. But I don't know that it's something to worry about yet.

Blind optimism?

sc85sis

Reaction score
No, I think it's factual optimism until proven otherwise. They have to play again on Thursday, so Pete is being extra careful. Belichick didn't play a bunch of his starters last night either and no one freaked out over that. It's preseason.

Smellyman

Reaction score
No, I think it's factual optimism until proven otherwise. They have to play again on Thursday, so Pete is being extra careful. Belichick didn't play a bunch of his starters last night either and no one freaked out over that. It's preseason.
McVay will play no starters. This is the much more common thing to do in preseason nowadays.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I'm hoping Walker develops quickly with some solid reps in preseason so that we can have a 2 headed monster by mid season in hopes it helps keep Penny semi fresh this year, his injury history still scares me a bit.

keasley45

Reaction score
Im just hoping for no injuries. Especially for KW3. I wanna see what he can do, but would be happy with 10 - 12 carries. Pull him. Let Dallas and Homer run.

Definitely fine with penny not playing.

Natethegreat

Reaction score

Most of the injuries Penny has had don't even occur on game day though. Really doubt its a usage issue with Penny at least. He seems to get injured stepping out of the shower. I hope he is great this year but the ypc arguments don't hold a lot of water with me. Yes, he ripped off some really nice runs last year against some of the worst D's last year (and his career possibly being over had he not done so) but I frankly doubt he plays more than 8 games this year as a starter. Actually I expect less.

Fade

Reaction score
The thing with Penny is, he's incredibly talented, so tantalizing that you're going to keep giving him chance after chance. Because if ever can put it together for a whole season, he could be a 2000 yard 25 TD back.

And even if he never has a complete season, 10 games of Penny is still better than not having him on the roster.

I am a little concerned when looking at his numbers last year. He feasted on soft boxes. (Teams taking away Wilson's deep ball.) He only averaged around 3.5 ypc against stacked boxes. But generally didn't run him against stacked boxes so small sample size.

Penny shouldn't get a single carry in the Preseason. Walker should also get very few, imo, but will probably get a lot. I'd like to see Dallas be the bellcow of the pre-season.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He's pretty much always performed excellently when actually performing, actually.

Not sure why you think begging Felix Jones helps your point here. They're not the same guys, and even if there are similarities, a simple analogy about a guy who played over a decade ago isn't really any sort of analysis that's relevant to Penny's play.

You guys are really hellbent on denying the clear fact that when playing, he HAS been one of the best backs in the league. Easily. The stats agree with the eye test. It's baseless negativity.
But he hasn't been one of the best backs in the NFL... That is the thing. He's had a good run but the dude was really uneven when he stepped on the field before then. There is a reason why he lost his job to Alex Collins, despite being a high pick. That sort of thing doesn't happen for no reason.

Penny has even said himself that he wasn't taking the job seriously when he was drafted to the Seahawks. He expected to be handed the starting job.

As far as Felix Jones goes, i'm demonstrating that ypc numbers aren't the end all, and often times can be deceptive, especially with smaller sample sizes. The guy has mostly been used situationally throughout his tenure here. His big thing was the runs outside thee tackles. Even in his most recent tear, as Fade pointed out he mostly running against soft boxes.

I suspect that Penny is going to lose his job to Walker before the season ends.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Most of the injuries Penny has had don't even occur on game day though. Really doubt its a usage issue with Penny at least. He seems to get injured stepping out of the shower. I hope he is great this year but the ypc arguments don't hold a lot of water with me. Yes, he ripped off some really nice runs last year against some of the worst D's last year (and his career possibly being over had he not done so) but I frankly doubt he plays more than 8 games this year as a starter. Actually I expect less.
I think a lot of it has to do with conditioning. Most of the time as a Hawk he's shown up to training camp out of shape. That sort of thing makes you more prone to injuries. Even this offseason he's at a heavier weight. The guy has issues keeping the weight off and staying in shape.