Penny…

GemCity

Reaction score
Anyone still tracking Penny? I’ve read that he’s lighter and taking first team reps.

Part of me wants him to tear it up (with the exception of playing us). Show the league why Seattle invested in him in the first place.

Of course, I wouldn’t change a thing about our RB room. We’re set!! Better off than we have been in a long, long time.

QWERTY

Reaction score
It kinda depends.

There's many people on forum that want new management. HC and GM. So if for example, Penny does well with his new team, then it will make management look bad.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to spend a first-round draft pick on a running back like Rashaad Penny or Clyde Edwards-Helaire, and then fully guarantee four years of compensation at first-rounder prices, when a team can find running backs like Chris Carson, Kenny McIntosh, and Isiah Pacheco in the seventh round. In addition to the financial burden, there's a huge opportunity cost when a team drafts a running back in the first round instead of a player at a higher-demand position.

Even drafting a running back early in the second round is a lot better than drafting one in the first round, because the team doesn't have to fully guarantee four years of compensation.

I'm against big extensions for running backs too. Before injuries ended Carson's career, people were talking about giving him extensions at $8M+ per year. Even in 2020 and early 2021, I saw that as a terrible waste of cap space, even though I really liked Carson. In the end, the Seahawks signed Carson to a two-year, $10.4M extension in 2021, but he didn't get to play much before needing neck surgery and then retiring. $2.7M of the "dead money" left from Carson's contract came from the Seahawks' 2022 cap, and there will still be $1.736M in dead money against this season's cap. And that was from a $5.2M-per-year contract with "just" $5.5M guaranteed.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
IR by week 3..book it!
Loved Penny When he was able to play..The guy has the worst luck when
it comes to injuries..I can see him being out by week 3 and for sure not
playing the whole season.
His body just keeps breaking down and the previous injuries likely sets a
chain reaction to the next one.
It's too bad because he had all the talent to be one of the greats.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. We have seen it firsthand, he's a hell of a RB. It's not like the guy gets hurt on purpose. Some guys are just unlucky.
Sad thing is that so many people seem to enjoy blasting a guy for being injured. Strange stuff........

NoGain

Reaction score
From accounts I read, Penny was not a hard worker in the off-season, and not as dedicated to rehabilitation as other guys in his first few years in the league. He even admitted as much, and was kind of blown away by AP during his short stint with the team by how insanely conditioned he was.

Not really ragging on him, but he didn't strike me as one of those players who lived, breathed, and died football. I wish him the best, though, and he certainly had flashes of productive brilliance for us.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Just an opinion...what do you think?

I have noticed while watching videos that when Raschaad Penny and also when Tyler Locket was injured, they both seemed to "relax into the contact". Could that have caused a twisting motion that might result in a broken bone?

Both Marshawn and Chris Carson seemed to fight against the contact, rather than relax. Before his neck problem, Carson had a leg injury, but it was the result of a "dirty" tackle. I was impressed and inspired by both of them for their "toughness and durability".

I really like K9, he is like a mini-Marshawn. But, I think DJ Dallas also has that toughness to fight through contact.

Maybe that mental "toughness" attitude will extend their careers against broken bones and other injuries.

toffee

Reaction score
Just an opinion...what do you think?

I have noticed while watching videos that when Raschaad Penny and also when Tyler Locket was injured, they both seemed to "relax into the contact". Could that have caused a twisting motion that might result in a broken bone?

Both Marshawn and Chris Carson seemed to fight against the contact, rather than relax. Before his neck problem, Carson had a leg injury, but it was the result of a "dirty" tackle. I was impressed and inspired by both of them for their "toughness and durability".

I really like K9, he is like a mini-Marshawn. But, I think DJ Dallas also has that toughness to fight through contact.

Maybe that mental "toughness" attitude will extend their careers against broken bones and other injuries.
I am no expert, medical or football, but I do agree with you. Penny confessed that he was 237 lbs playing for us last season, but frankly, from my untrained eyes, he didn't play like a 237 lbs back, felt like he prefered to run or dance around instead of hit hard in attack mode.

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
Take this with a grain of salt… I coach 6th grade football. We constantly preach going through the contact. It’s evident in our drills “ALL THE WAY THROUGH”, both on offense and defense, etc.. At their age, it’s hard, conceptually, for them to understand that we incur more injuries when players stop their forward force.

But…there are some players we would rather have “roll” when carrying the ball if they are 100% going to engage in contact. Typically, these are smaller kids. It’s hard to teach and if done incorrectly, can do more harm than good.

Knowing how to take a hit is hard at any age. I’m not sure our Seahawks have it “down” either.

I’ve seen Tyler step out of bounds and while most folks (take Gameday chat for example) are ok with it, others rant about not getting that extra yard or two.

It seems like a trivial issue but, it’s definitely harder to teach than I thought it would be.