Penix Jr.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
"Some thoughts on Michael Pennix Jr

Although this is a Seahawks Draft Blog — I’ve never really had Husky or Coug fans pushing for their own.

Until this year.

I’m asked a lot — on Twitter, via email, on YouTube — about Cam Ward (who I haven’t watched) and Pennix Jr.

Firstly, I thought Pennix Jr played very well against Michigan State. Washington haven’t been a fun or interesting team in a long time. They look fun again.

However — let’s not forget that Michigan State had the worst passing defense in college football last season. It looks no better in 2022. They were a fraud being ranked at #11. The good news is — Ken Walker clearly carried that team last year and now he’s in Seattle.

On top of that, Kalen DeBoer’s scheme is very quarterback friendly. He was appointed for his work at Fresno State where he made Jake Haener look good. The design and scheming is terrific, modern and a real positive for UW. They are in good hands.

But I think people are going to start talking up Pennix Jr as a major pro-prospect and we really need to be careful with that. He is a player who achieved very little in four years with Indiana. Last year he had four touchdowns and seven picks before getting hurt. He’s had three major injuries in his career. He’s playing in a system that does a lot of the heavy lifting and doesn’t demand too much from the quarterback in terms of progressions.

He’s in a scheme that is great for quarterbacks and he’s enjoyed playing the opponents he has so far. Right now — I’d suggest just enjoying the games and letting this thing roll."

Rob Staton's take, Seahawks Draft Blog

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I agree about the scheme. But so far I've seen Penix deliver some NFL quality throws. Throws that quite honestly not even every starting QB in the NFL can make. Time will tell us more.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The greatest ability is availability and Penix is a huge question mark there.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He has delivered enough results, including while on crappy teams, to have earned the right to not have people (besides opposing fans) making fun of his name.

If he can get put in a system that throws the ball often, runs from shotgun, and does not ask for naked boots? He will be just fine.
If they are stupidly running him up the middle on the goalline? Then no, he will get injured.

Dan Marino was notoriously hard to sack. Not because he was mobile, but because he got the ball out quick. Penix is obviously no Marino.
But he plays in a complex offense, makes multiple reads, and gets rid of the ball quickly.

We are an offense built to throw the ball. Look at all the pieces we have now. All we are missing is a QB that can put the offense on his shoulders and win through the air. So far, Penix looks to be able to do that.
Additionally, Penix has carried his team past multiple top 25 teams when his team was clearly not the best team. MSU is one instance, PSU is another.
And at Indiana he put up #s on really good defenses even with substandard talent.
Some of that is system, but the skills look transferable.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Every time I see his name I think "Penis".
Dirty bastard. You know it crossed his teammates mind to scribble an s with a sharpie over the x at his locker
Just gonna leave this right here...

OP
OP
BASF

BASF

Reaction score
Just gonna leave this right here...

I wonder if RG3 already trademarked the term since he used it last week.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I saw something different tonight with Penix.

3 and 3 isn't supposed to be an easy passing down but he gets that ball out quick. 3rd and 3 for him is like 3rd and 2 for Carson.

Tonight was more short passes. His long stuff wasn't hitting. But he was spraying the ball all over the field tonight.

I like how fast he completes the throwing motion. Gets the ball out quick, makes quick reads.

Most importantly, didn't do anything stupid with the ball.
There was a play the ball squirted free, Penix just dove on it. No trying to pick it up and fling it wildly. Just grab the ball and get effing down. Loved it.

However, not great in the red zone. Some of it is the play calling. A lot of short stuff that is expecting to break tackles is not going to happen a more crowded RZ inside the 10.

Last edited:

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Smh my Cougs really blew it today in so many ways but the officiating was awful. Good game to watch tho

Chevy

Reaction score
Penix had another good game. He puts amazing touch on his passes, he has the mobility to extend plays but will throw the ball away when there is no one open. He does go through his progressions when his #1 read is not open. His arm strength looks good.

The offensive scheme is creative, but don't get it twisted...ball placement on touch passes, progressing through your reads, mobility to get extend plays, not taking sacks, and not staring down your first read is not a given for most QBs. Penix does all this and makes it look easy with his calm on field demeanor.

Penix for me, at this point of the season, is a high 2nd round pick to mid 2nd round prospect. Give me Penix or BYU QB Hall in the draft.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Really impressed with Odunze at receiver. Definitely a future big time nfl receiver