Penix Jr.

BASF

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this young man? The announcers have detailed the injury history, so he might not even be drafted. However, I am impressed by his play against Michigan St.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
What info do you need?
He passed for something like 500 yds on Ohio State

He was destroying people as the QB of Indiana.

He is the best QB in the state of Washington, and that includes any Seahawks.

Yes please. He is the best QB in the country. By a longshot, he is basically the 2nd coming of Warren Moon.

OP
OP
BASF

BASF

Reaction score
What info do you need?

Yes please. He is the best QB in the country. By a longshot, he is basically the 2nd coming of Warren Moon.
As an FSU fan, I know nothing about him and I am thinking that you are doing tongue in cheek schtick. Hope that works out for you.

That being said, do you believe he will be drafted? Do you think he could grow into a starter in the NFL?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think if he comes out in this draft he ends up being the best starter in the draft.

His problem is his injury history.

Look at his current team. His RBs are middling at best, Newton is good - the rest are pretty close to worthless. Now look at the #s he put up with basically a very mediocre RB group.

Then look at the #s he put up at Indiana. And how many top 20 teams he put those #s up on with some pretty iffy skill players to support him.

Nothing tongue in cheek.

When you draft a QB, you want someone that flashes greatness and shows he can carry his team. Penix checks both those boxes. He has an injury issue. But if you can keep him upright, he will continually put the ball in the EZ.

He throws well on the run but can get the ball out quickly and is great with the long ball, especially in placement. What more do you want?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BASF

BASF

Reaction score
I think if he comes out in this draft he ends up being the best starter in the draft.

His problem is his injury history.

Look at his current team. His RBs are middling at best, Newton is good - the rest are pretty close to worthless. Now look at the #s he put up with basically a trash RB group.

Then look at the #s he put up at Indiana. And how many top 20 teams he put those #s up on with some pretty iffy skill players to support him.

Nothing tongue in cheek.

When you draft a QB, you want someone that flashes greatness and shows he can carry his team. Penix checks both those boxes. He has an injury issue. But if you can keep him upright, he will put the ball in the EZ continually.

He throws well on the run but can get the ball out quickly and is great with the long ball, especially in placement. What more do you want?
Regarding the last sentence, my QB not to be an injury issue.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Ok well you can have the another QB that passes like Warren Moon but gets injured when he runs with the ball (which should be never).

Or you can have that guy that will turn into another Josh Rosen. It is pretty slim pickings if you watch the QBs this year.

(Or Bryce Young, a much much crappier Kyler Murray)

I don't see anyone else carrying their team this year, wasn't impressed with Levi at all.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I’ve been impressed so far. He had a huge game tonight against #11 in the nation. UW might have been 0-3 if Morris was the QB, he’s horrible.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I've watched a lot of Husky football. Lots of NFL QBs. Penix throws the ball like Brunnell did, but better with the long ball (and Brunnell had much better targets).
That throw Penix made with 4 seconds in the half, looked like vintage Moon to Spider to me though.

Admittedly, MSU has a horrible secondary. But Penix has carved up a lot of good teams. Didn't he beat Penn State when they were #8 and he was on Indiana?
Morris shouldn't have been a starter. But his losses contributed to the Huskies getting Kalen.

(I doubt we will be able to keep Kalen long, imagine Notre Dame will come asking among others and being from the MidWest it probably won't take too much to pry him free.
But he brought Penix and Penix won with freaking Indiana.)
The questions that matter most when drafting a QB:

1 - Does he carry the team? (ie is the team winning because of the QB despite the reality that it would be losing but for him?)

2 - How many comebacks does he have in the 4th quarter against ranked teams?

So far, only Penix delivers on both of those fronts. I want no part of that Ohio State QB or that Alabama QB, and the one time I watched Levi - I saw the defense winning the game for him...not the other way around.

We will see on Penix, but for me he looks like an easy late 1st or 2nd round pick that could be a star.

Last edited:

getnasty

Reaction score
Have you seen what he did in 21 against good teams?

Don't get me wrong he's been great so far this year but let's slow down on the best QB in the country talk until we get at least half way through the season.

You might pass on Stroud and Young but remember they've done it for over a year against teams that are the real deal.

Chevy

Reaction score
Penix accuracy and ball placement on his throws are amazing. It looks like he has a strong arm but knows when to put touch on his passes as opposed to throwing fastballs all the time.

His previous injury history is concerning. During the Michigan State game, he was injured but kept playing the rest of the game. His accuracy, after his injury, was noticeably worse. The injury looked like it happed on a QB sneak near the goal line.

As of right now I could see him drafted somewhere between rounds 2 and 4.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Penix accuracy and ball placement on his throws are amazing. It looks like he has a strong arm but knows when to put touch on his passes as opposed to throwing fastballs all the time.

His previous injury history is concerning. During the Michigan State game, he was injured but kept playing the rest of the game. His accuracy, after his injury, was noticeably worse. The injury looked like it happed on a QB sneak near the goal line.

As of right now I could see him drafted somewhere between rounds 2 and 4.
Already getting injured..I love his arm since IU but he is brittle and won't be
playing for long.
Forget the NFL and try to enjoy what he has left.

pmedic920

Reaction score
What info do you need?

It’s not that there isn’t information available, I haven’t been paying any attention to it/him.

Chevy

Reaction score
Already getting injured..I love his arm since IU but he is brittle and won't be
playing for long.
Forget the NFL and try to enjoy what he has left.
I was surprised that the head coach or offensive coordinator would ask his injury plagued QB to run a QB sneak. Not a smart play call IMO.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It was terrible. He was hammered at Indy. Why subject your QB that kind of punishment when he has an injury history, is mobile, has a quick release, great accuracy, and good ability to read the defense?

Ack.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
It has been a nice change to watch Penix play at QB for the Huskies. His reaction to the hit on the kickoff return was awesome as well.

OP
OP
BASF

BASF

Reaction score

This throw is big time NFL type throw. The anticipation making the throw and the zip on it was fantastic. He will be playing on Sundays as long as he is healthy. I really really hope that it is not in our division unless it is for us.