Pathetic team coverage by the Seattle Times

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I subscribed to the Times digital feed for articles about the team, but this offseason has been a virtual wasteland of Seahawks news articles from the Times writers.

The most recent online article is dated June 22nd ... before that, June 16th... and befoe that, June 14th. Nothing new for 2.5 weeks!

I cancelled my digital subscription yesterday. I'm fed up.

Any other subscribers feel the same way?

I realize we're between the end of OTAs and the start of TC... but this is pathetic.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I don’t subscribe to any digital platform for Seahawks news and coverage but I have noticed this NFL off season has been quiet.

I listen to NBC Profootballtalk on YouTube with Mike Florio pretty regularly, and even Florio, has to somewhat “dig” into finding any NFL stories this time of the year.

But, in addressing your concerns of Seattle Times coverage, I haven’t used the Seattle Times for Seahawks content for years. But that’s just me personally.

I like to read a national perspective of the Seahawks to gauge whether or not Seattle is taken seriously or not.

Locally, in the northwest and among Seahawks fans, I would think we feel pretty good about the teams outlook for this season, and I like to get a different perspective from non Seahawks fans on how they think of Seattle.

I enjoy that “underdog” label Seattle is more than likely receiving from national pundits.

bileever

Reaction score
I disagree with you, @onanygivensunday. It's the dead time for NFL news--between the draft and training camp. There's nothing to report, so I wouldn't expect any coverage.

But when there is news, Bob Condotta is a knowledgeable and smart writer who provides a lot of good information and analysis. The Seattle Times doesn't generate click bait when there isn't any real news or just traffic in gossip, rumors and speculation. That's what seahawks.net is for.

I'm happy to pay them the $4.99 a week. And they have real news, too, in addition to sports. I'm all for keeping journalism alive in Seattle.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
What news are you expecting this time of year?

I do subscribe to the Athletic, as I think Mike Dugar is the best writer for the team right now.

Condotta is still pretty good, and he's an old guy like me so he really knows his team history.

OP
OP
onanygivensunday

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I disagree with you, @onanygivensunday. It's the dead time for NFL news--between the draft and training camp. There's nothing to report, so I wouldn't expect any coverage.

But when there is news, Bob Condotta is a knowledgeable and smart writer who provides a lot of good information and analysis. The Seattle Times doesn't generate click bait when there isn't any real news or just traffic in gossip, rumors and speculation. That's what seahawks.net is for.

I'm happy to pay them the $4.99 a week. And they have real news, too, in addition to sports. I'm all for keeping journalism alive in Seattle.
To each their own... seriously.

OP
OP
onanygivensunday

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
What news are you expecting this time of year?
They occasionally do a Mailbag article answering a variety of Seahawks related questions.

How about they publish one of those every couple of days... or, at a minimum, once a week?

That's not asking too much, is it?

notyou

Reaction score
I usually just listen to 710, but it has been 99 percent baseball lately. I have quit listening for now. I'll check them out again once training camp starts.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
The only real news this time of year is injuries and arrests. No news is good news.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Newspaper companies are stuck in the stone age so its no shock that the digital content stinks. NY Times just cut out their "sports desk" for good reason. The lazy fluff pieces these people put out are no longer good enough for fans with all the direct access we have to athletes.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
Why go anywhere else
A guy at long Beach wa told me brady is going to be a partial owner and player n that JG didn't pass his physical and I immediately checked here n the other reputable site as it was obvious he was click baited

Lagartixa

Reaction score
They occasionally do a Mailbag article answering a variety of Seahawks related questions.

How about they publish one of those every couple of days... or, at a minimum, once a week?

The Seahawks' web site, https://www.seahawks.com, has a "mailbag" article, but even that one doesn't appear to be coming out every week now. Once training camp starts, it'll prob'ly go back to being weekly.

And a few times per week, there's a "round-up" of Seahawks news there.

I don't frequent the online Seahawks community with the silly name (the one that's part of SB Nation) anymore, but when I did, there was a guy who posted a daily round-up of links to Seahawks-related material around the web.

pmedic920

Reaction score

Sounds to me like you should write a letter to the editor.

For real/seriously

If you’re paying for something and don’t feel like you’re getting your money’s worth why not be respectful and simply voice your concerns?
It can’t hurt, and you’ve basically done the same thing right here.

OP
OP
onanygivensunday

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you should write a letter to the editor.

For real/seriously

If you’re paying for something and don’t feel like you’re getting your money’s worth why not be respectful and simply voice your concerns?
It can’t hurt, and you’ve basically done the same thing right here.
Good advice. I'll do exactly that.

KinesProf

Reaction score
People who cover sports for a living deserve a summer vacation too. Especially this time of year, during the doldrums of summer with next to nothing going on.

If you're looking for engagement, Corbin and Michael-Shawn are pretty good at engaging with Hawks fans.

If this was occurring during September to February then this whining would be valid.

Last edited by a moderator: