Panic level (poll)

What's your panic level?

• 0. It's pre season man. We talkin about practice

Votes: 41 35.3%
  • 1-3. Wish our depth was a bit better. Haven't seen most of the starters yet.

Votes: 46 39.7%
  • 4-6. What I've seen so far is concerning

Votes: 25 21.6%
  • 7-9. We need to wake up. What is going on? This will be a long season

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 10. Initiate DEFCON 1! Fire everyone! This team is a dumpster fire!

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

CPHawk

Reaction score
Not concerned about the O. Our backup QBs have always been terrible. Russ will make the O work.

I still think we will have a bottom 5 pass D though. Our DB are lacking big time, and Adams isn’t going to help that. I do however expect our run D to be a top 10 unit, so there is some positive on D.

TreeRon

Reaction score
The year we won the Super Bowl we went 4-0 pre-season and were known for our depth. It's the depth we seemingly don't have now that I'm concerned about.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Tampa Bay lost 34-3 to Tennessee last night. They're not worrying. Neither should we.

AgentDib

Reaction score
TreeRon":1nv7un0l said:
It's the depth we seemingly don't have now that I'm concerned about.
It's not like we were playing 2nd string vs. 2nd string last night though. They were still trying to figure out who their starting QB should be and played some starters accordingly. More importantly, a bunch of the players who were making the mistakes on our side are not going to be on our final 53 man roster. Does it really matter if they are better or worse than the Broncos 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th string?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Panicking because the game was lost by players who most likely won’t be on any NFL roster this season? Most of the guys we saw in Seahawks uniforms last night were probably playing their last game of organized football. Unless they transition to arena football. Many of these guys were unknown names in the past 6 months.

These young NFL wannabe players were given an opportunity to show what they could do. If they don’t make this team then they at least have some film for other teams to look at. Sadly, this is the end for many of them.

I won’t even entertain the concept of panic until we see the regular guys play. If the regular guys play like this I still won’t panic. I’ll be disappointed but not panicked.

All we have seen the last two weeks is guys wearing Seahawks uniforms who will have little to no NFL careers going forward. Denver chose to play their starts to begin the game. The whole game basically went like this. Their 1svs our 2s. Then their 2s vs our 3s. This or last week was never a matchup of 1vs1. Think HS varsity vs a freshman team and you might have an idea of what we’ve seen.

With NO preseason games last year, teams learned that preseason is not needed. The starters are getting reps in practice. The starters we have seen are younger guys who can benefit from extra live reps. Russ, Bobby, Tyler, DK, Jamal, Quandry, and yes, Duane(!) will all be ready and fine when the real games that actually count in the win column begin.

Preseason is not the time to see how the new offense will look. They don’t want to give away free film on scheme before games matter. Practice is never as good as a game to watch. Preseason is practice. If any of you are panicking about this, might I suggest a relaxing activity that will put your mind at ease. Getting worked up about a meaningless practice game just isn’t worth any possible anxiety it might cause.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2rlvrwck said:
Panicking because the game was lost by players who most likely won’t be on any NFL roster this season? Most of the guys we saw in Seahawks uniforms last night were probably playing their last game of organized football. Unless they transition to arena football. Many of these guys were unknown names in the past 6 months.

These young NFL wannabe players were given an opportunity to show what they could do. If they don’t make this team then they at least have some film for other teams to look at. Sadly, this is the end for many of them.

I won’t even entertain the concept of panic until we see the regular guys play. If the regular guys play like this I still won’t panic. I’ll be disappointed but not panicked.

All we have seen the last two weeks is guys wearing Seahawks uniforms who will have little to no NFL careers going forward. Denver chose to play their starts to begin the game. The whole game basically went like this. Their 1svs our 2s. Then their 2s vs our 3s. This or last week was never a matchup of 1vs1. Think HS varsity vs a freshman team and you might have an idea of what we’ve seen.

With NO preseason games last year, teams learned that preseason is not needed. The starters are getting reps in practice. The starters we have seen are younger guys who can benefit from extra live reps. Russ, Bobby, Tyler, DK, Jamal, Quandry, and yes, Duane(!) will all be ready and fine when the real games that actually count in the win column begin.

Preseason is not the time to see how the new offense will look. They don’t want to give away free film on scheme before games matter. Practice is never as good as a game to watch. Preseason is practice. If any of you are panicking about this, might I suggest a relaxing activity that will put your mind at ease. Getting worked up about a meaningless practice game just isn’t worth any possible anxiety it might cause.

^^^ this.

xray

Reaction score
Same as game 1. Depth is concerning .

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Very good post oldhawkfan. That's why I made this poll, to get a pulse of where the fan base is at.

Looks like most of us aren't concerned, which is good.

My only concern, as x-ray said, is our depth. This is a top end roster with expensive contracts across the board for the majority of the 22 starters, then there's a severe drop off.
That right there is what is concerning. If we get a couple guys hurt, which will happen unfortunately, then it's worth being concerned about the "next man up." Because what we've been shown is the next man up isn't very good. The chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Yes, last year did show that pre season isn't necessary. Our offense looked great out the gate last year. But our defense on the other hand was poor.

I'm concerned about Norton as D coordinator. Whether they're backups or not, I'm still seeing way too many missed assignments. Guys falling off their guys in coverage for no reason.
Details like that which continue to get missed are frustrating.

It feels like the whole "Always Compete" mantra is gone. This is a team of 22 quality starters who aren't concerned about losing their starting jobs, with 30 other not very talented players.
Gone are the days where players were concerned about their starting job. If anything, this pre season has sent the message that they're going to play the players who've been paid.

What made the early Carroll years so special was he didn't care what your contract looked like. Your job was always on the line, and we got the most out of guys and this led to a Superbowl victory.
Now, these guys have gotten paid, they're not worried about the guy behind them. There's no fire.

That was my most concerning thing from last night. No fire or desire. The backups basically played like "well I have no chance to start. What am I doing here."
That's not what this program used to be about. In pre season games of old, the starters were on the sidelines gerring fired up, cheering on their mates on the field.
Last two games, they're on the sidelines laughing and high fiving, not caring what's going on. That was eye opening to me.

I hope I'm wrong about my concerns. My panic level is at a 2 of 10

hoxrox

Reaction score
The next game vs Chargers is supposed to be the “tune up” game where more starters will play. Will learn more then.

That said, I’m not as high on this team as I was right after the draft.

1) KNJ’s vanilla schemes or base defense still can’t cover – especially the middle of the field. And Run D looks a little suspect.

2) CB position still looks weak. Flowers and Witherspoon hasn’t looked good in preseason. DJ Reed is injured.

3) Tempo – an offense based around “tempo” requires everyone be on the same page. Duane Brown hasn’t even been practicing. Pocic has been injured. How will the oline gel in time for this offense to operate like clockwork?

4) The schedule is filled with top ranked defenses. Unless the O gets rolling fast and Waldron is as advertised, this season could get ugly.

Of course, my opinion on this could change after week 1.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
No reason to panic! Going to be easy to cut this week from the display last night. Hopefully next week will be as easy. I think the FO knows who will be standing at the end of Pre-season then its getting those who made the cut to gel as one. Happens every year, right? With this years FA's and picks we really can't expect to see the lone diamond in the rough.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
No panic, I mean the Broncos were playing most of their starters for most of the game to our 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers.

But depth is absolutely a concern to me.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I'm mid-range concerned for two main reasons:

1) Defense. We saw Witherspoon, Flowers, Amadi, lots of people we probably will be seeing in our regular games, and that was 30-3.

2) Backup QB situation. Nathan Peterman will not make No. 2 QB with Mariota there, but he played well enough to win two games. Practice, I understand, but that was against us and the Rams. Either Drew Lock or Teddy Bridgewater will be the QB2 in Denver, and both could compete.

We have, outside of Russell Wilson, absolutely no one who can fill in a series let alone win a miracle game. That include ol' Geno who couldn't last one "practice" game.

We need insurance.

Cut Mannion and McGough and pick up someone like Peterman, who might get cut, or Mullens, who probably will get cut but successfully competed. Including against us.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
balakoth":m44xstt4 said:
Most of our players in this game tonight were not even second stringers... we had.. our friggen full back special teamer.. playing LB.... Come on now...

And he played well.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I get feeling a need to vent. Been there, done that. But not for these two pre-season shows. We haven't seen our team yet. What we have been watching is an opportunity for new guys to carve out a spot on the roster in hopes they can develop into something more meaningful
The next exhibition will show us a little bit about where our ones are at right now. I'll take those possessions a lot more seriously.

rsRyno

Reaction score
We had Darrell Taylor, Alton Robinson, Kerry Hyder, Rasheem Green, Jordyn Brooks, Cody Barton, Ahkello Witherspoon, Tre Flowers, Tre Brown, and Ryan Neal all play a lot of minutes on defense tonight. All are gonna be in a heavy rotation this season. To say the defense playing as poorly as it did is not a concern is delusional, especially with our previous issues under Norton. I don’t expect them to shut teams out while playing backups, it being preseason, and (hopefully) running a vanilla scheme, but it’s still not good that it has been THIS bad. I’m not panicking, but I’m definitely concerned.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The only way I am going to panic is... if #49, Dom Wood-Anderson makes the final cut. lol

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The defense is going to be a problem.

Apparently, scoring TDs is going to be a problem.

In the past, issues in the preseason, almost ALWAYS become regular-season issues. At least for the past 8+ years. So we now know - scoring and keeping the other team from scoring will be really frustrating for us all year. Pencil it in.

Depth is clearly an issue. (The silver lining is that on cut day, we won't have upset seahawk fans. There is no fan favorite that will get cut because is there anyone even showing anything right now? So far, Dallas and Cade are the only ones doing anything. Maybe Collins. Doubt any of those get cut. I like how #39 hits, but other than that is there even anyone you would hope we could keep on the PS? Other than Cade?)

As long as we have Pete and Wilson, we go to the wildcards. But if there was ever a year we missed it, it certainly looks like this coming one might be it. And if that happens, I expect Wilson's camp to start chirping 'move him somewhere else' almost immediately.

That would be the only thing to panic about - not being able to keep Wilson if we don't do well.

I expect our offense struggles out the gate as we didn't play our #1s enough to pick up the new offense (practice does not fix this...you need game reps). As losses pile up in the first third of the season, it will be interesting to hear if the people saying 'it is just preseason you don't need it' make excuses for our offense because 'they are still learning the offense'.

But what can you do? Our depth is paper-thin, if any starter gets hurt - we are screwed. And that likely happens, we will get a starter hurt at some point, struggle to replace him because we have nothing in the cupboards, and start to lose games.

The depth and the defense will be difficult to deal with this year. So we need this offense to work. Will we be able to get it working in time? Not being able to score worries me if our defense gives up scores. Because losing games seems to lead to losing Wilson.

hoxrox

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":20xta8qj said:
The depth and the defense will be difficult to deal with this year. So we need this offense to work. Will we be able to get it working in time? Not being able to score worries me if our defense gives up scores. Because losing games seems to lead to losing Wilson.

Winning a championship is obviously important to Russ, but it is not his highest priority. He (and/or his agent) will want to be the highest paid QB on his next contract - that we can be assured of. The question is - will his performance be commensurate with the highest paid player when that time comes?

If winning was the, be all, end all for Russ, those four teams he was open to being traded to wouldn't indicate to me as much.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3fosm4bg said:
The only way I am going to panic is... if #49, Dom Wood-Anderson makes the final cut. lol

For real! Five flags??

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawks85":3ethr1k2 said:
balakoth":3ethr1k2 said:
hawks85":3ethr1k2 said:
This is 1 of 3 things.
1. This "New Offense" is all hype
2. The 2nd strings are bad
3. Both

This new offense with none of our starting OL. None of our WRs, none of our TEs.... 2nd stringers are bad? You mean the actual second stringers who made plays.. the rest 3rd.. fourth.. and offensive players playing LBer...

Our fan base.. is.. way off "base"

I'm not way off anything. For 2 straight weeks this offense hasn't scored a single TD and hasn't had a descent offensive drive. They didn't even improve this week on offense they were actually worse than last week, but I'm not judging yet. The starters are supposed to play the first half next week, and if it's the same performance it's time for concern.
"For Two Straight Weeks This Offense Hasn't Scored a Single Touchdown" <- Untrue
Dallas ran one in last week playing against the Raiders.
As for Pete Carroll, Waldron, & KN Junior not stupidly showing their hands nor going balls out to win a NOTHING TO GAIN GAME at all cost, giving newbie players a FAIR SHOT of NFL style play, to SHOW if they have any promise to make it through the CUTS, so as far as I'm concerned, they kept their cool, and focused on what these Pre-Season games were designed to do.
Both Denver & The Las Vegas Raiders were set on just winning, and NOT giving their second & third stringers a chance to show their wares, and when they did have SOME Rooks & Walk-ons playing, they were surrounded by their # 1's...Crappy way to do a fair Evaluation, before making their paring down to the 53.
PLUS, these are the games that I don't mind watching guys like Flowers bung things up...IF I have any concerns?, it's seeing this athletic player not seeming to be getting any better....Maybe it's just me, but I'm beginning to think it's time to cut bait.