Overall feelings about our draft?

warden

Reaction score
Four really good players were available when our first pick number sixteen came up. The only way we could screw that pick up was by trading down. I am ecstatic that we picked one of those four players

CactusJack

Reaction score
Jerrell = D
Comes from a small school, not much tape on him. There were better guards like Christian Mahogany or Javion Cohen available.
Jerrell fits the profile of a Tackle. MM confirmed as much. He's not a Guard. He'll probably land on the practice squad as a developmental Tackle.

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
I viewed Tyrice Knight as the only reach for them. But the pick could totally workout in our favor.

I also like DJ James quite a bit more than Pritchett. So, I don't necessarily understand the logic on that one.

Drafting Murphy was a complete no brainer. Anyone who says otherwise, has not done their homework. Haynes has a chance to be one of the better Guards in this draft class at a position of need. Another easy choice.

Last edited:

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I viewed Tyrice Knight as the only reach for them. But the pick could totally workout in our favor.

I also like DJ James quite a bit more than Pritchett. So, I don't necessarily understand the logic on that one.

Drafting Murphy was a complete no brainer. Anyone who says otherwise, has not done their homework. Haynes has a chance to be one of the better Guards in this draft class at a position of need. Another easy choice.
I think Pritchett was a Mac pick. He wanted a dude that fits his style. Some people think he is a fit for the Ravens and his play style fits that team. So...not hard to see why Mac might be drawn to Pritchett.

DJ James was just a good opportunity to find value. I think JS's hand prints are on this pick. Not sure what his role is but dude can probably be a dynamite nickle.

That's the only rationale I can think of.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I think Pritchett was a Mac pick. He wanted a dude that fits his style. Some people think he is a fit for the Ravens and his play style fits that team. So...not hard to see why Mac might be drawn to Pritchett.

DJ James was just a good opportunity to find value. I think JS's hand prints are on this pick. Not sure what his role is but dude can probably be a dynamite nickle.

That's the only rationale I can think of.
James was easily the best value on day three. Definitely a candidate to play Nickle.

I just didn't love Pritchett on film. Maybe I'm wrong? But I'm surprised he was picked before James.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I was excited for Murphy and Haynes... but the next two picks were seemingly over-drafted by the evaluators I have read... and then the next two picks were drafted where expected by my sources.

John and Mike really liked the potentially over-drafted Knight and Barner. I hope they're spot on. My ultimate evaluation will hinge on the successes of Murphy, Knight and Barner, given their draft positions.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Jerrell fits the profile of a Tackle. MM confirmed as much. He's not a Guard. He'll probably land on the practice squad as a developmental Tackle.
I've been hearing he'd be a guard, I'd still give the pick a "D" though. I get that it's the 7th round, and he's got great athleticism for a guy his size, but I think he could've been signed as an UDFA.

*Edit: Quoted the wrong post*

CactusJack

Reaction score
I've been hearing he'd be a guard, I'd still give the pick a "D" though. I get that it's the 7th round, and he's got great athleticism for a guy his size, but I think he could've been signed as an UDFA.

You might be right.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Mixed. Two first picks seem like bangers but the rest seem reaches. But lets see.

bsuhawk

Reaction score

Teams will sometimes select a player they like at the end of the draft simply because they don't think they can get him to sign with them as an undrafted free agent. That is probably the case with Jerrell.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
I'm really excited from what they did up front. I've wanted Murphy the entire time and fully expected a name I didn't know being picked (guess i'm shell shocked from past drafts). The only pick that was a headscratcher was Tyrice Knight, as MM likes his LB's to cover. MM in his presser did say he's a sure tackler and squares up which are great traits for a mike lb. LOVE the attention to the OL and yes, lots of db's in the mix to use a swiss army knife. I'm really curious how MM will use Coby Bryant, I think if he can get the best out of this young man, it will be a great benefit.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Trench picks are awesome. I'm wondering if they addressed lb and safety well enough. We'll see. I'm also intrigued by the udfa qb they signed. Maybe just a camp arm, but dude has skillz and seems way undervalued because he played in the Mountain West.

Ozzy

Reaction score
First two were very good. A little meh about the rest but it’s their first draft together and they are probably looking for some specific stuff so they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Sort of wish some high upside special traits guys got mixed in but we shall see. Murphy and Haynes can move the needle quite a bit though if they hit

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
We'll see. I'm sure they saw something they liked in all these picks that my lack of nuance may not reveal. I think this particularly applies to Knight and Barner. It's hard for me to call any of them a 'reach'. We're talking day-3 picks here. Both corners are fast and can play, so some potential there. Laumea and Jerrell are both developmental guys with potential. Late round picks are all dart-throws regardless of what crystal ball we're looking through.

It's a cliche, but give it a couple years...

Last edited:

BGHawk

Reaction score
I don't know what I feel. Bunch of random pieces to try to stitch together. I do know I like to say ..big murph

Chawker

Reaction score
I'm wondering if Verse was in the conversation at 16 ? Drafting him and cutting Taylor would of helped lower the cap. We need cap help at this point.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I'm wondering if Verse was in the conversation at 16 ? Drafting him and cutting Taylor would of helped lower the cap. We need cap help at this point.
Not with Murphy sitting there.

I had Latu, Turner, Murphy & Mitchell as the four best defensive players in this draft.

Verse will be a productive player for the Rams. But he doesn't have the ceiling of the other names. He was the third edge taken.

Last edited:

12th_Bob

Reaction score
1st two picks were fantastic, everything after kind of sucked.