Our next future QB from college could be the next Mitch Trubisky

KinesProf

Reaction score
Fiction. Whoever that person ends up being will be the first version of themselves.

I don't really see anyone in the college game right now, or at least amongst the QB prospects currently projected as potential 1st-2nd round picks, with a profile or skill set similar to Trubisky.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if the Seahawks brought in Trubisky if he were to become available. I think he could be pretty good in Seahawk offense. He's had comp pct of 64.1% and the only year he's been under 60% was his rookie year. He has a winning record (career) at 29-21. He did lead the Bears to a 11-3 record in 2018. The Bears have a pedestrian WR corps (compared to the Seahawks). He's very mobile, strong armed, very accurate in the short to intermediate passing but needs work on his accuracy with deep balls.

W

Welshers

Fact of Fiction?
Of course it's fact. That's the elephant in the room. It's the thing the let's suck and roll with lock people don't want to say out loud...

Just because we get a good pick next year does not garuntee a good qb. People are acting like CJ Stroud and Bryce young are garunteed to be the next Mahomes...

Smellyman

Reaction score
Of course it's fact. That's the elephant in the room. It's the thing the let's suck and roll with lock people don't want to say out loud...

Just because we get a good pick next year does not garuntee a good qb. People are acting like CJ Stroud and Bryce young are garunteed to be the next Mahomes...
They could be the next Tua and Fields!

keasley45

Reaction score
If you look at the history of top pick, flame out qbs, they usually end up landing on bottom feeder teams who are in part, bottom feeders, because they have less than great coaching systems and FO management, personnel departments. We aren't one of those teams. We will pick the guy who makes the most sense and is most pro ready and will drop him in a system where he isn't expected to save the franchise, as Trubisky was, Darnold, David Carr, every qb in Washington, (drop in one of many examples here ), etc. They either don't work because the team around them isn't good enough, the coaching is sub par, or the scouting was more 'consensus says to do this ' than it was high level evaluation for for and potential.

That's not to say you can't miss if you're one of the better franchises, but the Green Bays, Colts, Chiefs... they get the right guy at the right time. I think the fact that we didn't just go and grab a dude this year because conventional wisdom said we should, shows that our FO knows what and who they want (or dont) and will be patient about it. We waited for Russ, and again, despite convention saying you don't sit a guy you just gave millions to, did just that. And that guy was only here because our GM thought, given prior experience, that he'd be ok.

I dont think we'll end up with a trubiski (who amazes me that he's still in a position to actually start in this league). We might not get the next Aaron Rodgers, but im confident whoever it is won't be a bust.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sure, or he could be the next Josh Allen, or Russell Wilson.

This is such a negative thread, the team could draft a bum, or not. WTF?

Last edited:

chrispy

Reaction score
History indicates there's a good chance JS doesn't even take a QB in the first round.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Does it truly matter where the QB is drafted if he proves he can play good solid football? There is very long list of 1st round QB busts. It is often the case that they need to be given time to grow into their job, which isn’t easy. It is also unfair aft a talented player but provide him with no supporting cast.

Changes needed to be made, changes are being made, Pn’J are a long way from being done.

We have wait and watch the process play out.

Jerhawk

Reaction score

And as I've been trying to say on here since Wilson was traded but keep getting laughed at: the team really doesn't have another option at QB but to look forward to the draft.

They had a franchise QB and traded him away. Of course the draft is a roll of the dice, but what other option have they left themselves?

And don't say Jimmy G. He's not a franchise QB, he's a system QB

W

Welshers

And as I've been trying to say on here since Wilson was traded but keep getting laughed at: the team really doesn't have another option at QB but to look forward to the draft.

They had a franchise QB and traded him away. Of course the draft is a roll of the dice, but what other option have they left themselves?

And don't say Jimmy G. He's not a franchise QB, he's a system QB
And I would argue that system QBs/non elite Groppolo level QBs have won the SB many times.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
We could also draft the next rookie stud. Just sayin'.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
And I would argue that system QBs/non elite Groppolo level QBs have won the SB many times.
Figures you would ignore the majority of my point to bend the narrative with a non factual argument to act as if you've proven something.

W

Welshers

Figures you would ignore the majority of my point to bend the narrative with a non factual argument to act as if you've proven something.
What are you talking about, I was just trying to have a conversation. I don't dispute the draft is an option all I'm saying is it's not a sure thing. Not sure what the hostility was all about I certainly wasn't try to argue in any adversarial manner. I didn't even say I was correct, just what I would advocate for.

In terms of facts, I'd say that Nick Foles won the SB just a few short years ago. If that's not the definition of a system QB then I don't know what is. He was a backup who came into a good system that another guy who also hasn't proven himself elsewhere was excelling in. Neither guy was ever good outside of that system. So in my mind it's not a non-factual argument.

Your question to me is what other option does the team have than the draft. My point was the team could get a serviceable game management QB without drafting one and potentially still be competitive. I'm not saying it's 100% but there are teams who have won SBs without "franchise" QBs before (in my opinion, I know you said this is non factual).

Sorry I upset you Jerhawk. I think you got the wrong idea from my post.

chrispy

Reaction score
Seahawks will draft a QB next year, probably. Seahawks will bring in a FAQB next year, probably. Seahawks will give '22 starter a chance at the competition, probably. A three-way competition will probably determine the '23 starter. Many fans will disagree with each decision.

...I just felt like we needed a post everyone could agree on...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seahawks will draft a QB next year, probably. Seahawks will bring in a FAQB next year, probably. Seahawks will give '22 starter a chance at the competition, probably. A three-way competition will probably determine the '23 starter. Many fans will disagree with each decision.

...I just felt like we needed a post everyone could agree on...
Oh yeah? what if I don't want to agree? ;-)

olyfan63

Reaction score
What are you talking about, I was just trying to have a conversation. I don't dispute the draft is an option all I'm saying is it's not a sure thing. Not sure what the hostility was all about I certainly wasn't try to argue in any adversarial manner. I didn't even say I was correct, just what I would advocate for.

In terms of facts, I'd say that Nick Foles won the SB just a few short years ago. If that's not the definition of a system QB then I don't know what is. He was a backup who came into a good system that another guy who also hasn't proven himself elsewhere was excelling in. Neither guy was ever good outside of that system. So in my mind it's not a non-factual argument.

Your question to me is what other option does the team have than the draft. My point was the team could get a serviceable game management QB without drafting one and potentially still be competitive. I'm not saying it's 100% but there are teams who have won SBs without "franchise" QBs before (in my opinion, I know you said this is non factual).

Oh man, and here I was thinking our next drafted QB could be the next Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell!

Thanks for reminding me about Nick Foles, SB Champion QB. Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, all "game manager" SB Champion QBs on teams with elite defenses that carried them to a Lombardi. I'm honestly not sure where to put Foles, because he played like an elite QB in the playoff run and Super Bowl. Your "system QB" argument has some merit, realizing you could also call Aaron Rodgers/Matt Flynn "system QBs" by this same criteria. I wouldn't argue the point for Flynn. BTW, Flynn holds several Packers records from his stints filling in for an injured Rodgers, got the Pack into the playoffs multiple seasons with wins while Rodgers was out.

So it's settled then, the Hawks go all-in on bringing in AJ McCarron? Looking for him to fill big shoes as the next Jeff Hostetler?

AgentDib

Reaction score
History indicates there's a good chance JS doesn't even take a QB in the first round.
I'm not so sure about that. I heard much the same thing earlier this offseason about how the Hawks history indicated they were going to trade down, disregarding that the only time they've had much draft capital before they stayed put and drafted Okung and Thomas.

In my view history has demonstrated the front office heavily emphasizes the top tier of talent. They love to package picks and players in return for pro bowlers; see Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, Sheldon Richardson, Duane Brown and Jamal Adams. They like to draft at the top, and chase former top prospects if they become available; see Clowney or what feels like the entire 2013 draft class. They've extended players to put them at the top of their position salary wise many times, including multiple times at the QB spot.

What they don't like to do is overpay/overdraft the next tier of players down. Those are the ones who we let walk in the off-season (Browner, Tate, Coleman) or hopefully trade away (Clark). We don't throw around big dollars in free agency at merely 'best available' players. We skip drafting a question mark like Malik Willis in the first round (or second round, or third round) even though everybody tells them they have to draft a QB.

Lastly, when it comes to drafting QBs there has also been a separate factor to consider which no longer applies. Not just having a pro bowl starter at the position already, but the drama surrounding keeping them happy.

Jerhawk

Reaction score

I'm the one that should be apologizing Welshers. I acted like a total loser and baby. I'm sorry.

Hopefully whatever the team does is results in winning.