Okay - seriously. WTF is the global plan here.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There seems to be a belief that Pete not making the playoffs would be failure in the eyes of management. We have nothing from the ownership to make that assumption.
(There is a professional baseball team in this city that actively attempted to find the least it could reach the playoffs without losing fan interest, so we cannot assume making the playoffs is a goal at all)

The goal would be to sell tickets and keep fan engagement interest. Seems Carroll has a free pass for a few years on this because he cannot be expected to compete without a QB.

Management could be getting exactly what they want, but want different things than the fan base. As long as the value of the Seahawks as an investment continues to increase - they might be happy with whatever outcome on the field as long as fans stay somewhat engaged/hopeful.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There seems to be a belief that Pete not making the playoffs would be failure in the eyes of management. We have nothing from the ownership to make that assumption.
(There is a professional baseball team in this city that actively attempted to find the least it could reach the playoffs without losing fan interest, so we cannot assume making the playoffs is a goal at all)

The goal would be to sell tickets and keep fan engagement interest. Seems Carroll has a free pass for a few years on this because he cannot be expected to compete without a QB.

Management could be getting exactly what they want, but want different things than the fan base. As long as the value of the Seahawks as an investment continues to increase - they might be happy with whatever outcome on the field as long as fans stay somewhat engaged/hopeful.

Considering Jody Allen has shaken up both her professional franchise front offices and coaching staffs after the Blazers and Hawks underperformed since she's taken over the organizations, I don't think you're right.

Status quo is how you know you have a disengaged apathetic owner, and while yes both Pete and John are still here? It's pretty evident that the coaching staff changes and moves the team has made this off season points to the direction of her giving Pete and John time to try to build another contender, and not just be happy with an appreciating asset.

Allen had no pro sports franchise experience, but she's not a dumb person, she's very savvy. She knows success is the greatest way of accelerating that appreciating asset.

sdog1981

Reaction score
No, they're not, and you've clearly never even put yourself in the shoes of the fans of those teams if you claim the situations to be comparable.

It's not ideal, but this ownership group aren't actively bumbling meddlers who ensure decades of futility.

They're not the savior type that Paul Allen was, but to compare them to the Haslam and Ross families, not to mention Mike Brown prior to him coming around a bit recently is... sheesh.
Get out of here with that gatekeeping BS. I vividly remember the Ken Behring years and fans blocking moving trucks. I will admit Haslam and Ross are the wrong comps because of how hands-on they are.

Maybe more like the Bidwells and Browns who don't get involved with the team and just let it float along with bursts of competitiveness.

diver110

Reaction score
Top QBs are hard to find and Drew Lock is not one of them, but Wilson is. I get that there was tension, but the last time I can remember someone of Wilson's caliber get traded was when Brees went to New Orleans, and then he was hurt and the Chargers had Rivers (who they should have traded instead of Brees). And now DK might go? Prepare for some time in the cold.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There is a tremendous amount of drive through type instant gratification type need here. There is as well the usual unrelenting AP slanging ongoing which seemingly has to be included in every thread, i.e.: too old fashioned, too old, too stupid, incapable of changing, has conned the too stupid ownership of the team to go along with his continuing path to perdition, etc., etc., yada yada, blah, blah. this however is the world of Maddenesque thinking. I confess I am unsure of what the plan is at all save for a change to a 3-4 defensive scheme along with some significant coaching changes. I understood the Wilson trade as necessary in the long term interest of the team as he wanted to be gone from here, other decisions remain opaque. Let us hope the arrogance of earlier drafts and the need to trade down and trade down again to recover picks traded or made for underperforming players is avoided by the FO

I don't understand the lack of the team signing any experienced OTs until now, and it is quite unusual to see the team go into the draft with glaringly obvious draft needs although that hasn't stopped them before. I am a tad confused additionally as to why the team is wishing to take all the dead cap money this season. However, clearly there are going be some genuine changes on D. To me though, a lot is riding upon Penny and Carson staying healthy and Lock being a lot less than awful for the team to be less than awful on O.

To me there seems to be something in the works that is being cooked up which is preventing other things from happening, or at least it appear a bit like that is the case
Meanwhile, the complaining continues and the intrigue builds. At this point though, even my unrelenting support of PC/JS is starting to feel a bit shaky as they for sure are on hold or it seems that way. The why of that appears far from clear.

However, it is still early and there will be lots a things still needing to be done before the team will be ready to play football this season.

Last edited:

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Top QBs are hard to find and Drew Lock is not one of them, but Wilson is. I get that there was tension, but the last time I can remember someone of Wilson's caliber get traded was when Brees went to New Orleans, and then he was hurt and the Chargers had Rivers (who they should have traded instead of Brees). And now DK might go? Prepare for some time in the cold.
Brees was 26 when he went to the Saints. Wilson is 35 and notably slower with less accuracy and vision as well as a bum knee and finger. Doesn't even compare. Wilson isn't winning a chip in that division. Denver will be average for 3 years with no rings to show for it

Fade

Reaction score
Wilson is currently 33 and will be 34 at the end of November.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Wilson is currently 33 and will be 34 at the end of November.
Still doesn't change the outcome. He has aged poorly in terms of performance and productivity. Like Sherm said "Heads will roll in Denver if they don't win a chip"

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Wilson lost some of his athletic advantages. And he is less prone to take risks now (not sure if that was Carroll or him).

But one thing Wilson has that almost NO other other QB in the league has, that is worth more than almost anything? Wilson thrives under pressure. In high pressure situations, outside of the Rams and you can argue most of that is our HC moronic game plan, Wilson somehow becomes more focused and better.

He used to be better under pressure. He might still be.

That isn't going away.

Remember that while defense wants sacks, a lot of defense is predicated on pressuring a QB so they make mistakes. Pressures are the goal not the sacks, in many instances. Since sacks are not as consistently achievable. But pressures don't work nearly as well against Wilson.

That is worth something.

And it hasn't changed much, if at all, with age. I think you will find with a competent HC, he will do much better now.