New England's Defensive Game Plan

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
Belichick is maybe the best coach ever at scouting and game planning, On defense, he usually focuses on taking away two or three key things from the opposing offense.

What do you anticipate the Patriots will do on defense?

IMO, the New England defense will likely:

1. Stack the box against the Seahawk run, including the read option. When Belichick stacks against the run, he really commits to it.

2. Use Jamie Collins to spy/shadow Russell Wilson. Collins is an athletic 25 year old linebacker with 4.5 speed. He had 116 tackles this past season. Collins might be the fastest and most athletic player we have seen assigned to stop Wilson from running,

3. Try to take away Doug Baldwin with Revis blanketing him the entire game. Revis is a cerebral player and will know all of Baldwin's and all of Wilson's tendencies - as much as any CB Baldwin and Wilson have ever faced (except Sherman in practice.). Losing Paul Richarson leaves us very thin. Kearse, Luke Willson, Ricardo Lockette are our other receivers. The Patriots would love to force us into using Lockette and Willson as our main receivers. Kearse is going to need a big game. Marshawn will need to catch some passes. Baldwin is cerebral too and will have to figure out ways to trick Revis.

Having said all that, *if* the Seahawks utilize Wilson's mobility, running and deception as key weapons in their offensive game plan, both he and Lynch should have huge games and the Seahawks should win. If Collins shadows Wilson, it should open something else up. I am not sure, however, that they will let Wilson loose early in the game, choosing instead to play very conservatively on offense hoping for a low scoring , low turnover risk, defensive battle.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
1. Who doesn't stack the box vs Seattle? Better run stoppers than the Pats have tried and failed.
2. If you really think Collins has 4.5 speed, and that he is the fastest guy to spy WIlson this year, you either have not been watching Seahawk games or Patriot games. Which is it?
3. If they move Revis all over to shadow Baldwin , we will kick their ass down the field. Revis in the slot would force them to play deep thirds without Revis taking a deep cover, and they don't have a safety who can cover THAT much ground in the middle.

kearly

Reaction score
I was under the impression that Revis didn't shadow WRs very much this season due to the Pats running Seattle's style of secondary.

I feel sorry for Jaime Collins. Though no fault of his own, he's going to disappoint a lot of Pats fans on Sunday who suddenly think he's the next Ray Lewis.

LTH

Reaction score
I wouldnt look past Lockette... he had a great game vs GB...I also wouldnt think for a second that Baldwin and Kearse are out matched... going up against the LOB every day in practice brings them to their best...

LTH

idahohawk

Reaction score
the Lynch wheel route is going to be gold I predict. Lynch as a pass catcher is one thing NE can't game plan for IMO.

daveca5150

Reaction score
Stack the box all they want, there are always holes. With Britt back, Unger healthy and hopefully back in sync, I don't think they can stop our running attack into the second half.

Revis is a hell of a player and I don't think Baldwin has a big game. I hope I'm wrong. Good thing Russell is so good at getting the ball to multiple guys.

Collins is fast and a great tackler, but I've watched Russell make better LBs look silly for the last 3 years.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Stacking the box means more players for Lynch to hit.

And like Chris Borland on Thanksgiving, Collins is about to get a big intro to the symphony of Beast Mode. It will not go well for the linebacker.

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
I think Lockette could be an x factor in the game, remember Seattle had an entire offensive scheme this year we havent used since trading Harvin. The Rocket could a be pretty interesting role player in that offense, we actually saw a glimpse of it in the NFCCG.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
With Helfet (hopefully), Moeaki and perhaps even Gilliam now able to help out Willson, I have high hopes for our highly underrated TE's this game. They are going to try and exploit Kearse after that last game for sure. I also see Lynch and maybe even Turbin getting major involvement in the receiving game. If they commit a major chess piece like Revis solely to take away Baldwin these other guys will draw blood.

Things have changed markedly in the nearly year and a half since BB took a snap with this squad, so I dont think the intel he might otherwise provide the Pats is necessarily valuable. Highly prized, no doubt but limited nonetheless.

gulliver

Reaction score
12thManHawkFan":4gm0pbi8 said:
The Rocket could a be pretty interesting role player in that offense, we actually saw a glimpse of it in the NFCCG.
You mean that sweep he ran that got blown up immediately, and which he miraculously turned into a 3-yard gain?

I'm hoping to see much, MUCH less of that.

NEPatriots1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2g3pvgin said:
1. Who doesn't stack the box vs Seattle? Better run stoppers than the Pats have tried and failed.
2. If you really think Collins has 4.5 speed, and that he is the fastest guy to spy WIlson this year, you either have not been watching Seahawk games or Patriot games. Which is it?
3. If they move Revis all over to shadow Baldwin , we will kick their ass down the field. Revis in the slot would force them to play deep thirds without Revis taking a deep cover, and they don't have a safety who can cover THAT much ground in the middle.
I get that all Hawks fans have the utmost confidence in the running game, but Green Bay's D that isn't as good as the Pats, shut that down for 3 quarters and your offense was terrible. Why can't a Pats Dl/LB combo thats better have similar results? Also Revis will shadow a WR all game if Bill wants him too and Mccourty might have the second most range in the NFL after Thomas so I think they have someone who can cover serious ground.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
NEPatriots1":3a750yn9 said:
Scottemojo":3a750yn9 said:
I get that all Hawks fans have the utmost confidence in the running game, but Green Bay's D that isn't as good as the Pats, shut that down for 3 quarters and your offense was terrible. Why can't a Pats Dl/LB combo thats better have similar results? Also Revis will shadow a WR all game if Bill wants him too and Mccourty might have the second most range in the NFL after Thomas so I think they have someone who can cover serious ground.

He had 15 carries for 78 yards in the first 3 quarters . He ran well the whole game, we just uncharacteristically turned it over 5 times.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":34t9hscf said:
I was under the impression that Revis didn't shadow WRs very much this season due to the Pats running Seattle's style of secondary.

I feel sorry for Jaime Collins. Though no fault of his own, he's going to disappoint a lot of Pats fans on Sunday who suddenly think he's the next Ray Lewis.

The Pats move Revis around. Last week they had him on Wayne and Nicks a lot.

Hasselbeck (the QB, not me in 3rd person) actually broke down the Patriots defense pretty well this AM on Brock and Salk. But also said he thinks we have a better chance against their defense than they did.

Vetamur

Reaction score
If you watched the Patriots- Colts game and some others, youll see they dont always put Revis on the best receiver. To thoroughly cancel players out they assign it different -- they put their 3rd and 4th CBs on the #1WR, double cover. They had their #2 CB and a LB or SS Chung on the Colts #2 receiver (their TE), and they put Revis on the 3rd receiver.. so that every one is mismatched. On passing downs I expect Revis to actually be on Kearse if they move him around. This year he did stick to one side a lot though. This game we really will likely need Wilson to scramble a lot on obvious passing downs because the Patriots will have an edge over our WRs early in their routes. Fortunately with emphasis on the defensive holding rules, no one can keep an NFL WR covered for 5 to 7 seconds. I think we may actually see Norwood get a couple catches. Theres not much tape on him and they wont know what level of coverage he warrants. A couple of deep passes to Lockette will be necessary to keep them honest.

People are talking 8 in the box.. PLUS a spy. If the spy is in the box and a true spy and we run read option as well as Wilson does, then that box is really just 7. #91 wont be able to commit to run defense. If its 7 in the box we will be able to run the ball.

This is the crux, I dont really think the Patriots can shut down our running game. Its what they might completely sell out to do and in that case maybe.. but if they do, Wilson will have a couple of good runs and TE Willson will have opportunities.

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
gulliver":2jdbse0x said:
12thManHawkFan":2jdbse0x said:
The Rocket could a be pretty interesting role player in that offense, we actually saw a glimpse of it in the NFCCG.
You mean that sweep he ran that got blown up immediately, and which he miraculously turned into a 3-yard gain?

I'm hoping to see much, MUCH less of that.

Say what you want that play was one good block away from being a great call.

LTH

Reaction score
NEPatriots1":2hslor6z said:
Scottemojo":2hslor6z said:

You can say what ever you want... Greenbay has a respectable D they have a much better D line than NE and Lynch shredded them...

The part that you should REALLY be worried about is the Hawks D after giving up all those turnovers the Hawks D kept GB to 16 points in the first half and kept this team in the game... That should make you shake in your boots cause Brady has not seen a D this year thats as good as the Hawks D...

but you can come back after the game and rave about how awesome the Hawks D is after you see for your self....

LTH

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
NEPatriots1":3m9lu487 said:

Ahh.. one of the experts making reference to the GB game as a barometer. The "Shut Down for 3 quarters story". Seriously man? Really?

Hey, remember that reference to the GB game on Sunday and also remember this, it will be Wilson's arm that kills the Patriots. That means Revis and Browner both, Mccourty, the works. Remember I said that now.. The Hawks have spent the last 2 months playing defenses that would slap the Patriots like they owed them money.

That GB reference has less value than the idiots referring to the week 2 game against San Diego or Dallas. None of it matters, just like it didn't to NE when they bit it in week 1. The Hawks have killed better defenses than NE and embarrassed better offenses.

And quit with the Revis garbage. Big deal. The Hawks have been enjoying better secondary play for years. How can Pats fans actually call that some sort of advantage? Please. We have seen Revis play Seattle before too, it doesn't matter how good he is, the guy still has to cover someone right? Wait until that little pudspank puts his shoulder pad down to stop Beast Mode. Revis will wake up on the turf screaming for help from Rex Ryan and the Jets staff.

Exittium

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":92fqu38x said:
NEPatriots1":92fqu38x said:

Ahh.. one of the experts making reference to the GB game as a barometer. The "Shut Down for 3 quarters story". Seriously man? Really?

Hey, remember that reference to the GB game on Sunday and also remember this, it will be Wilson's arm that kills the Patriots. That means Revis and Browner both, Mccourty, the works. Remember I said that now.. The Hawks have spent the last 2 months playing defenses that would slap the Patriots like they owed them money.

That GB reference has less value than the idiots referring to the week 2 game against San Diego or Dallas. None of it matters, just like it didn't to NE when they bit it in week 1. The Hawks have killed better defenses than NE and embarrassed better offenses.

And quit with the Revis garbage. Big deal. The Hawks have been enjoying better secondary play for years. How can Pats fans actually call that some sort of advantage? Please. We have seen Revis play Seattle before too, it doesn't matter how good he is, the guy still has to cover someone right? Wait until that little pudspank puts his shoulder pad down to stop Beast Mode. Revis will wake up on the turf screaming for help from Rex Ryan and the Jets staff.

:th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :thirishdrinkers:

jake206

Reaction score
I really think, its going to be Turbin, Marshawn show. Unless New England can show they can stop the ground game. This game is going to get ugly quick.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Vetamur":3iazav03 said:
If you watched the Patriots- Colts game and some others, youll see they dont always put Revis on the best receiver. To thoroughly cancel players out they assign it different -- they put their 3rd and 4th CBs on the #1WR, double cover. They had their #2 CB and a LB or SS Chung on the Colts #2 receiver (their TE), and they put Revis on the 3rd receiver.. so that every one is mismatched. On passing downs I expect Revis to actually be on Kearse if they move him around. This year he did stick to one side a lot though. This game we really will likely need Wilson to scramble a lot on obvious passing downs because the Patriots will have an edge over our WRs early in their routes. Fortunately with emphasis on the defensive holding rules, no one can keep an NFL WR covered for 5 to 7 seconds.

Hi Matt Hasslebeck. I heard you say this on 710. I completely agree with this. The scramble drill will be our bread and butter. Browner is bound to hold after 4 seconds.