Need another receiver

nwHawk

Reaction score
Give the coaches clay, not retreads.

Jville

Reaction score
John Schneider had said he was disappointed that Young was not used enough last year. So maybe the coaching staff last year wanted more veteran WRs on the field. The GM was high on him after the season, even though he was only a 7th round pick. It's easy to be dismissive of 7th round players, but if the GM was disappointed the the coaching staff not using him then Young just needs the opportunity.

If you want to be sold on prospects then Seahawks should only provide legit starting opportunities to players drafted in the first and second round. After those rounds its a crap shoot.

I caught some sound bits of Coach Carroll excitement about Young's future. Dereke Young brings a very physical versatility to the team. He stands out as an unusually physical and effective gunner fighting thru double teams. Once he got some game day opportunities in their offense his excellent blocking really stood out. Unusually effective delivering wham blocks. He even delivered on a full back assignment. The season was nearly over before he was actually targeted as a receiver. But, he has been described as a sure handed receiver in their practices. He has also been described as highly coach-able. Schneider and Carroll found themselves a late round ruby.

Dereke Young was in on 10% of the offensive plays last year as a 7th round rookie. His contributions on offense flashed toward the end of the year. I'm expecting a sophomore jump in his opportunities and play. Dereke's versatility and coach-ability is huge. Glad he is already on board for 2023.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
A true WR3 would have a higher snap count on this team than the starting nose tackle would.

And your point? We've gone through this already with your love of the Eskridge draft pick and I showed you that the impact and numbers from the highest WR3 to the lowest WR3 was marginal. Its not a dire position and can be filled easily and for cheap.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm not that concern about wide receiver at this point in time. I think there are plenty of possibilities that will be added to the roster. SANJAY LAL, the team's primary wide receiver coach is also the passing game coordinator. He is known to insist on precision route running as well as decoy and blocking execution.

Tyler Lockett's snap count percentage peaked in 2019. It's been in slow decline to 73.1% in 2022. DK Metcaft's snap count percentage peaked in 2020 .... dropping to 81.7% in 2022. I assume this trend is a reflection of Waldron's desire for less predictablity, more recovery time and more utilization of complimentary personnel groupings.

In 2022, Marquise Goodwin was next highest among wide receiver at 38.4%. All three of the tight ends were on the field more than Goodwin. So yes they will continue to have an interest in a reliable 3rd receiver.

This should be a prove it year for Dee Eskridge ..... who has some highly desirable traits. I supect that, if they make drafting a similar option to Eskridge a priority, it would of course be someone with similar athletic traits. Although, Dereke Young could encourage both the Offensive Coordinator and Passing Game Coordinator / Receiver Coach to entertain and incorporate a different #3 skill set.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I am a bigger fan of 12 personnel over 11 for the Seahawks. The thought of a 2nd TE is a bigger miss match than a 3rd WR especially when the 2nd TE can be a legitimate slot receiver, New Orleans did a good job with this with Jimmy Graham I am surprised Seattle never tried it when they had him

Chevy

Reaction score
JS can say he’s disappointed all he wants I see it more as he took a flyer on a guy and hope he works out the coaching staff felt differently
This is true. The coaching staff also felt differently, than JS, about our 2nd round pick OLB Boye Mofe.

Last edited:

Own The West

Reaction score
I am a bigger fan of 12 personnel over 11 for the Seahawks. The thought of a 2nd TE is a bigger miss match than a 3rd WR especially when the 2nd TE can be a legitimate slot receiver, New Orleans did a good job with this with Jimmy Graham I am surprised Seattle never tried it when they had him
Exactly. We want to run a lot of 12 and 13 personnel. I’d say a TE at #20 would be a better fit than WR. We can add WR depth later in the draft, but we’re a tight formation, multiple TE offense.