My Opinion:Russell has a legitimate gripe about OL Personell

Whatwhat

Reaction score
Seahawks won a SB because of a great defence and run game. Not Russell Wilson.

He got paid, well done to him.

John63

Reaction score
Whatwhat":39lyrxly said:

Lol yeah we could have won.that SB with any qb....NOT. amazes me how people forget he was the 2nd leading rusher on that team, and the highest rushing qb of that year. Or that he had 5 4th qtr comebacks making incredible plays to get those wins. We dont win those 5 games we don't even make the playoffs. So factually yes Wilson was responsible for getting to and winning the SB. As responsible as anyone else on the team.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Whatwhat":1acmkbh9 said:

The team continues to win and be competitive for the most part because of Wilson, so whats your point?

Best QB the franchise has ever had and people are crapping on him. Crazy.

strohmin

Reaction score
For the first time after our last SB, I am finally respecting Russ for standing up to Pete's dumbass BS that he keeps feeding year in and year out. I wish Russ had put his foot down sooner and took control of this offense.

xray

Reaction score
Where will the Hawks come up with gr8 OL personnel anyway ? They only have 4 draft picks and none in the 1st or 3rd rounds . Any quality FA linemen will come with high price tags that the Hawks probably can't afford anyway . I predict 40 plus sacks of Wilson next season providing he stays .

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
In my opinion, its a simple calculus; if they hope to retain Wilson, and expect him to be a 40+ TD kind of QB, they will have to finally invest in the OL, most likely in FA, with proven commodities. Who knows, with all the cuts expected to happen this year because of the reduced cap, maybe you get a decent 2nd tier of Quality NFL OL starter that is on the wrong side of 30, but still has lots of gas left in the tank. Heck, maybe you luck into two, but its going to cost you more this team has historically been willing to commit.

That also means you cut at other levels, including the defense. I don't see both Wagner and Wright being back next year, especially if they end up paying Jamal Adams. Frankly, this front office has done much better with drafting and finding Defensive talent on the waver wire, then it ever has bringing in O-Linemen. If Wilson is a 40+ TD QB, and we can establish a consistent, multi-player running attack, then you only need a middle of the road defense to win those shootouts.

ducks41468

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":20m7zir1 said:
I think that when you are taking such a huge portion of the cap you should stfu about priorities.

What is up with this argument. Dude takes up 16% of the cap, not 75% or something. That still leaves like $170m to spend on other players. This isn't the NBA where signing the wrong player to a bad contract screws you for years.

This is a lazy excuse for the team's inability to prioritize the rest of the salary cap on the right position groups and their inability to draft the right players. It's not like we're drafting these studs and then losing them in free agency because Russ's massive contract eats up the entire cap; we've held onto all the good players that were worth holding on to, there just haven't been as many of those players in recent years.

And likewise, Olsen's 7m contract that Russ lobbied for and makes up some 4% of the cap is not what makes or breaks your year.

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1359989877614534666[/tweet]
/endthread

Since winning the Superbowl the Seahawks rank 32nd in OL spending. And are the only team to not give a drafted O-Lineman a 2nd contract. Pete, John, & Management have failed in this area. It's irrefutable.

I surmise Wilson has complained about this behind the scenes for years, but it has fallen on def ears. So he decided to take it public to get results.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Yeah, if we end up spending $20m on each of a friggin safety whose weakness is coverage or an aging LB whose replacement we drafted with a 1st round pick last year but continue to look for OL in the dvd bin at WalMart where you get 6 had horror movies on one disc, this front office's priorities are just broken. We'll continue to get eaten by teams who easily destroy us in the trenches.

D

DomeHawk

Of course he does, I and others here have been saying it for years. All these never-was never-gonna-be types here poopoo it with ridiculous extrapolated stats and and other BS. How much more obvious could it be? It has to be our #1 priority - no half-measures.

Here's a new article on it:

"Seattle Seahawks Need to Listen to Russell Wilson, Build Around Star QB in 2021"

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/293 ... =editorial

getnasty

Reaction score
John63":35a36tek said:
12forlife":35a36tek said:
Hey Russell have nothing but mad respect for you up to this point! You need to keep your thoughts to yourself, and take a note out of Brady's book! Maybe take a lil less so the team can afford better & younger line talent. You really need $35 mil a year? Don't expect any of us fans to feel sorry for you? Be a team player and take a lil less, and maybe you wouldn't have to run like you stole something every play? Don't be the problem Russ, be the solution!

Okay first WIlson has redone his contract every time they asked 7 and counting

2nd so if I understand Brady gets to talk and say what he wants but Wilson can't., Hmm I wonder why?

#3rd you do know when he signed this deal there was talk of 40 mil right? I mean he took less than what he could have ha dmore.

4th he would still have this problem, this problem existed when he was on his Rookie contract.

5th this problem existed when he was on his 2nd contact, so Why should he take less when they had the chance, and he was making way less they still did not address the issue.

The reality is this team has had 8 years with Wilson to fix the oline issues, and they have not.

1-Russell has never taken less money so restructuring his contract has only been a good thing

2-Tom Brady has 6 rings

3-Highest paid player when he signed his contract

4-How many SB did he play in on his rookie contract?

5-Becacue How many SB did he play in on his rookie deal

The reality is you could play next year for 25 million instead of 32 million like Brady and have yourself 7 million more to spend on your center or guard.

I probably wouldn't take less if i'm Russell but let's not act like he's some saint that took less money.

Fixing the OL would be easy if your willing to part with guys like Bobby, maybe trade Lockett or DK.

Fade

Reaction score
getnasty":1wu0sn8w said:
John63":1wu0sn8w said:
12forlife":1wu0sn8w said:
Hey Russell have nothing but mad respect for you up to this point! You need to keep your thoughts to yourself, and take a note out of Brady's book! Maybe take a lil less so the team can afford better & younger line talent. You really need $35 mil a year? Don't expect any of us fans to feel sorry for you? Be a team player and take a lil less, and maybe you wouldn't have to run like you stole something every play? Don't be the problem Russ, be the solution!

2nd so if I understand Brady gets to talk and say what he wants but Wilson can't., Hmm I wonder why?

#3rd you do know when he signed this deal there was talk of 40 mil right? I mean he took less than what he could have ha dmore.

4th he would still have this problem, this problem existed when he was on his Rookie contract.

5th this problem existed when he was on his 2nd contact, so Why should he take less when they had the chance, and he was making way less they still did not address the issue.

The reality is this team has had 8 years with Wilson to fix the oline issues, and they have not.

1-Russell has never taken less money so restructuring his contract has only been a good thing

2-Tom Brady has 6 rings

The reality is you could play next year for 25 million instead of 32 million like Brady and have yourself 7 million more to spend on your center or guard.

I probably wouldn't take less if i'm Russell but let's not act like he's some saint that took less money.

Fixing the OL would be easy if your willing to part with guys like Bobby, maybe trade Lockett or DK.[/quote]

They had $60M to spend last off-season. It's not a money problem. It's a priority problem.

32nd in OL spending since 2014. Year after year, Pete chooses to neglect this area of the football team. Going with stopgaps, guys off of the scrapheap, and mid-late round draft picks.

They'd rather trade a boatload of picks for a box safety, and pay him, and sign a bunch of JAGs, than build an avg- to above avg O-Line. This pattern has been going on for YEARS.

How come the Packers, don't have to get rid of their star players to maintain their O-Line?

The Steelers? The Rams? The Saints? Etc.

The number 1 problem, is making it an emphasis, and prioritizing it.

The fanbase has been sick of it, and now Wilson is too. Good for him.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Fade":6oajx4k5 said:
getnasty":6oajx4k5 said:
John63":6oajx4k5 said:
12forlife":6oajx4k5 said:

2-Tom Brady has 6 rings

Fixing the OL would be easy if your willing to part with guys like Bobby, maybe trade Lockett or DK.

They had $60M to spend last off-season. It's not a money problem. It's a priority problem.

32nd in OL spending since 2014. Year after year, Pete chooses to neglect this area of the football team. Going with stopgaps, guys off of the scrapheap, and mid-late round draft picks.

They'd rather trade a boatload of picks for a box safety, and pay him, and sign a bunch of JAGs, than build an avg- to above avg O-Line. This pattern has been going on for YEARS.

How come the Packers, don't have to get rid of their star players to maintain their O-Line?

The fanbase has been sick of it, and now Wilson is too. Good for him.[/quote]
I've always been surprised by Carroll's neglect of the offensive line. A good offensive line plays into exactly what Carroll wants. He said that he wanted to "get back to 90s football" on offense. Well, how do you suppose we do that? You do it through having strong trenches. You want those huge chunk plays? Offensive line, you want to pound the ball relentlessly and still move the ball? Offensive line. We've had several chances at blue chip o-lineman in free agency, and we've passed on some VERY good lineman such as Ramczyk in the draft. Our drafting and free agent signings here have been extremely suspect under Carroll at O-Line.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":xhw4vgbt said:
Fade":xhw4vgbt said:
getnasty":xhw4vgbt said:
John63":xhw4vgbt said:

2-Tom Brady has 6 rings

The fanbase has been sick of it, and now Wilson is too. Good for him.
I've always been surprised by Carroll's neglect of the offensive line. A good offensive line plays into exactly what Carroll wants. He said that he wanted to "get back to 90s football" on offense. Well, how do you suppose we do that? You do it through having strong trenches. You want those huge chunk plays? Offensive line, you want to pound the ball relentlessly and still move the ball? Offensive line. We've had several chances at blue chip o-lineman in free agency, and we've passed on some VERY good lineman such as Ramczyk in the draft. Our drafting and free agent signings here have been extremely suspect under Carroll at O-Line.[/quote]

The packers have done a better job of drafting and developing their offensive line. The Seahawks have tried to do this without success.

RCATES

Reaction score
Every year its the Offensive line or Cord. Russ seemed to play ok behind that same line early in the year when he was in the MVP race. Then came the 2-deep safety look. Russ looked like dogshit from that point on. Keep making excuses for Russ. Fact is he simply can see over the Line. Has to move to make his reads. Teams have figured out a formula. He looks washed now.

hawk45

Reaction score
RCATES":284o96z0 said:
Every year its the Offensive line or Cord. Russ seemed to play ok behind that same line early in the year when he was in the MVP race. Then came the 2-deep safety look. Russ looked like $h!t from that point on. Keep making excuses for Russ. Fact is he simply can see over the Line. Has to move to make his reads. Teams have figured out a formula. He looks washed now.
And when he was in the MVP race he was living off of deep shots where the OL held up for a long time.

Cable OLs often gave Russ no chance but the line hasn’t been like that since cable was fired.

I’m not against spending more on OL, far from it, but it won’t make Russ see the short middle. What it might do, however, is make the running game that more effective when teams are showing 2 deep and our only chance is to run the ball. I’d be totally fine with that approach.