Most Wilsonesque QBs in NFL?

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
There are quite a few QBs around the league that have a similar skill set to Russell - that can run and throw - but what really makes Wilson special is his positive attitude. Not to overstate it, but the guy just seems to embody what's best in the human race. His constant acts of charity (apart from his interceptions) are downright inspirational, even for a cynical Randian Objectivist like me.

I can only find two QBs with a comparable temperament: Kirk Cousins and Drew Brees. I'm sure there are others but those guys impress me with their positivity / work in the community. I would add RGIII but he seems a little selfish at times. E.J. Manual also seems to have a great attitude but I don't know enough about him.

Anyone else, past or present?

HawkWow

Reaction score
There's just one, IMO...Aaron Rodgers.

Whoops. Just Reread your post. I was comparing Wilson's on field game to that of Rodgers'.

kearly

Reaction score
On field skillset: Rodgers (holds the ball, similar stats across the board, mobile, smart, ballsy, accurate, short QB skillset, feel for the game, point guard style QB), Big Ben (game manager, accurate, tough, winner, football smart, "mobile", feel for the game), Drew Brees (touch passer, short QB skillset, elusive, smart, feel for the game, point guard style QB). There are quite a few others with multiple similarities as well.

Personality comparison: Tim Tebow. Wilson is an even better person, arguably a better leader, etc. I make this comparison because Tebow is the face of wholesomeness in the NFL, and Wilson is every bit as corny and wholesome as Tebow is. Both are huge outspoken evangelical Christians. Both are intangibles guys and fiery leaders. Wilson is just way way better at playing QB. That Tebow even got a chance in the NFL speaks to how good his intangibles are, so I consider a personality comparison to Tebow to be far from an insult.

Leadership / work ethic comparison: Peyton Manning.

All time NFL comparison: A healthy Steve Young. Career year Jeff Garcia is decently close as well (in terms of skillset, not production).

Shock2k

Reaction score
He's a mix of George Washington(Politics), Albert Einstein(Intelligence), Isaac Newton(Physics), and Morgan Freeman (Gravitas).

This is Russell Wilson.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
No one's really like him in the NFL, traits of Big Ben though on his creative abilities.

OP
OP
Thunderhawk

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
kearly":9mulga74 said:
On field skillset: Rodgers (holds the ball, similar stats across the board, mobile, smart, ballsy, accurate, short QB skillset, feel for the game, point guard style QB), Big Ben (game manager, accurate, tough, winner, football smart, "mobile", feel for the game), Drew Brees (touch passer, short QB skillset, elusive, smart, feel for the game, point guard style QB). There are quite a few others with multiple similarities as well.

Personality comparison: Tim Tebow. Wilson is an even better person, arguably a better leader, etc. I make this comparison because Tebow is the face of wholesomeness in the NFL, and Wilson is every bit as corny and wholesome as Tebow is. Both are huge outspoken evangelical Christians. Both are intangibles guys and fiery leaders. Wilson is just way way better at playing QB. That Tebow even got a chance in the NFL speaks to how good his intangibles are, so I consider a personality comparison to Tebow to be far from an insult.

Leadership / work ethic comparison: Peyton Manning.

All time NFL comparison: A healthy Steve Young. Career year Jeff Garcia is decently close as well (in terms of skillset, not production).
I also thought of Tebow when considering Wilson's attitude, but refrained from mentioning him because Timmy has been such a polarizing figure whereas everyone loves Russell - even people who hate the Seahawks. It's an interesting dichotomy in that they do have almost identical life philosophies. Not sure how you could be politically and morally opposed to the one and not the other. Is it just the on-field results? If Tebow had Russell's accuracy/arm strength/wins while Wilson was plagued with Tim's banana arm, would popular opinion be reversed?

As far as physical ability, Steve Young is my ultimate QB. Supreme accuracy, toughness, intelligence, and mobility. Russ isn't there yet as a passer, IMO, and I strongly doubt Russ will ever approach Rodgers as a pure arm talent. But in terms of the entire package - leadership, attitude, competitiveness, coachability, accuracy, decision making, mobility - it's hard to top Russell Wilson.