Most polarizing Hawks player of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainger

Reaction score
Having watched all of the treads on .NET for a long time and thinking about what some have said about the continual threads and posts throughout .NET about RW.

I started wondering what player in the history of the Hawks has been the most polarizing to the team and the .NET fan base and the posters.

Like someone said, it is amazing that since March 2021 in almost every forum in almost every thread, RW somehow ends up in the discussion. Both good and bad. Even though he is no longer a Seahawk.

That got me thinking about all the players that have come and gone through the Hawks organization. Can anyone tell me a player who has been more polarizing and discussed than RW.

If you can think of a name other than RW please name him and your reasons so we can discuss it.

MODS: This is posted in the Main forum because you cant make a poll in the NFL nation.

BASF

Reaction score
I actually created a web site called the Alexander Argument during the SA years in which I did research for nine months with comparisons to eight other backs that were considered to be in his class for almost every category that so many posters went on endlessly about for years. I had more than a dozen pages dedicated to the comparisons and analysis to finally shut people up regarding Alexander. So many people seriously hated the guy because of the way he played despite being easily the best back in our history until Lynch was traded for.

The problem was that I had it hosted by the HTML Yahoo pages and when they took away their free service, he had already retired and it wasn't worth it to pay for their sites. I printed the pages out and they are somewhere in storage, but he was definitely a more polarizing figure than Me3.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
I actually created a web site called the Alexander Argument during the SA years in which I did research for nine months with comparisons to eight other backs that were considered to be in his class for almost every category that so many posters went on endlessly about for years. I had more than a dozen pages dedicated to the comparisons and analysis to finally shut people up regarding Alexander. So many people seriously hated the guy because of the way he played despite being easily the best back in our history until Lynch was traded for.

The problem was that I had it hosted by the HTML Yahoo pages and when they took away their free service, he had already retired and it wasn't worth it to pay for their sites. I printed the pages out and they are somewhere in storage, but he was definitely a more polarizing figure than Me3.
I remember a lot of argument about SA and his propensity to run out of bounds or flop. He was very elusive and a good back.

I don't remember there being thread after thread, post after post about him even a year and 1/2 after he was gone.

But you have come up with another.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I remember a lot of argument about SA and his propensity to run out of bounds or flop. He was very elusive and a good back.

I don't remember there being thread after thread, post after post about him even a year and 1/2 after he was gone.

But you have come up with another.
We are dealing with an entirely different fan base now vs when SA was around.

Yea I get it, we’re all Seahawk fans and that makes us the same fan base, but I call BS.

You only need to look at how our current “fan base” talks about Tyler Lockett to understand what I mean.

I say this pole is invalid and needs to be broken up by decade or generation.
People simply didn’t speak back in the day as they do now.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Darrel Jackson, despite being a fine receiver, did drop a lot of passes he shoulda caught. Still, damn hard to argue against Russ.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
We are dealing with an entirely different fan base now vs when SA was around.

Yea I get it, we’re all Seahawk fans and that makes us the same fan base, but I call BS.

You only need to look at how our current “fan base” talks about Tyler Lockett to understand what I mean.

I say this pole is invalid and needs to be broken up by decade or generation.
People simply didn’t speak back in the day as they do now.
Is your reply an indictment on how society has changed? And not for the better?

I didn't think Lockett was in any way polarizing.

A decade by decade poll would be too confusing and wide spread and how would that make a comparison between the 80's and today? Some will say the BOZ, however I don't think he was that polarizing.

Who has been the topic of more polarizing conversation debating a Hawks player here and on KIRO and in Seattle media in general than RW? I would suggest it isn't just Hawk fans.

I don't think the conversation is BS, go to every thread about Geno, or SBs or records, or coaches, or statistics, or running game, or deep ball, or pocket, or scrambling, or post season play, or offensive line, or OC's, or PC, or FO, or even Jody and Russ is in the discussion from one side or the other. That is polarizing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
I hate to sound dumb, but who is ME3?
HAHA another name for Russell Wilson. He is mostly about himself (in recent years) and he wears 3.

You have 3 different choices for Russell or someone else. If you choose someone else please state who and why you think that player is the most polarizing Seahawk of all time.

PS I see you are new to .NET. Welcome you will pick up on all the lingo fast.

Last edited:

Hotchy

Reaction score
Wilson's career has been polarized.
- From shoe-in HOF to ridiculed cap killer .
-From Mr Seahawk to - I don't want to be a Seahawk - . From being a team first guy to wanting to be in charge of the team.
-From me thinking he was under-rated to me thinking he's over-rated
-From being a clutch sand lot player to a chubby pocket QB that makes questionable decisions.
-From me loving the guy to hating the guy-to now I'm thinking of rooting for him again

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
Wilson's career has been polarized.
- From shoe-in HOF to ridiculed cap killer .
-From Mr Seahawk to - I don't want to be a Seahawk - . From being a team first guy to wanting to be in charge of the team.
-From me thinking he was under-rated to me thinking he's over-rated
-From being a clutch sand lot player to a chubby pocket QB that makes questionable decisions.
-From me loving the guy to hating the guy-to now I'm thinking of rooting for him again
LOL please wait 1 more year on your last point. We have a 3rd round pick next year riding on him not doing well this coming season. A bad Denver year could get us pick 65 to 70. But I agree in 2024 get back on the RW train if you want.

PS: I had a man crush on him for the first say 6 years.

sc85sis

Reaction score
T-Jack was pretty polarizing to some. I don’t know that it reached the level it has with Russ, but the guy took a LOT of heat from a segment of posters.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score

I'm pretty happy I didn't know about this place back then because I definitely would have been banned arguing posters over this.

Earl Campbell was my alltime favorite RB but can't believe the hate SA gets because of a different running style. He was just a fantastic RB.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bozworth and it isn't even close. First he was a supplemental draft pick, second he had so much bravado it was WWF level at the time, when talking smack in the media was not something players did, he sold T Shirts at the Bronco game to insight the fans there, he would target players on the opposition and call them out. Then he was trucked by Bo Jackson on MNF. Fand loved and hated him on a new level for all these things and more like his salary as well.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Me3, no doubt.

Shaun Alexander was only polarizing after he got paid, broke his foot, then sucked. The 2005 Shaun was one of the best backs in NFL history. Can't we just erase the crappy years and love him for being the engine that got us to SBXL?

Tyler Lockett has me polarized to loving him, his game, and especially the idea of him staying in one piece and on the field. His critics who say that he dives need to take a few hits from Brandon Browner when he gets out of prison. I've included some training videos, featuring Wes Welker, showing WHY Tyler goes down when he knows escape is unlikely, instead of fighting to the death to make a 13-yard play into a 14-yard play.

FYI Brandon Browner is scheduled to possibly be paroled this November and could probably be convinced to personally train Tyler-haters in absorbing NFL-level hits for a few bucks or a donation to his favorite charity.

Last edited:

Lennie

Reaction score
Bozworth and it isn't even close. First he was a supplemental draft pick, second he had so much bravado it was WWF level at the time, when talking smack in the media was not something players did, he sold T Shirts at the Bronco game to insight the fans there, he would target players on the opposition and call them out. Then he was trucked by Bo Jackson on MNF. Fand loved and hated him on a new level for all these things and more like his salary as well.
This

olyfan63

Reaction score
Good one! How quickly we forget!

I was and still am a Brian Bosworth fan, as he was actually a very good NFL player, but sadly, his body was not able to hold up to the NFL pounding. Recall that he was the NFC Defensive Player of the Week for key plays he made in a road win vs. the Bears. Wasn't necessarily a fan of all his antics, but I loved how Bosworth sold tens of thousands of "Ban the Boz" T-Shirts in Denver. There was no NFL linebacker who was going to stop Bo with the angle Boz had, so that play to me is a nothing-burger media creation.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Boz 80s (Perhaps the first Seahawks player whose celebrity kind of undermined the culture at the time. He wasn’t a bad player per se but you’d have to wonder if he could have gotten more out of his career if he was 100% about football especially off the field)

McGire 90s (purposely giving him No W. Mirer at least was able to be good enough to be the starter and his trade led to one of either Springs or Big Walt)

Hutchison 00’s (Poison Pill hurt for a long, long while especially since LG has never really been consistently replaced since his departure until maybe now in Damien Lewis who is starting his 3rd campaign there and that is if he re-signs. I’m not fact checking but it would not surprise me if Lewis was able to earn the most LG starts since Hutch during this up-coming season, knock on wood. In the end I really can’t fault Hutch for wanting to be closer to home, even though the way he did it sucked, but in the last couple of years he’s making amends by doing quality work for the Seahawks as a consultant)

Wilson 2010s (Best Seahawks QB or not, there is just so much drama over the years that continues to leak out that has tainted the squeaky clean wholesome image he (perhaps) portrays. Even early on, on his rookie deal or when he was in his prime, he’s always been a hot topic with huge contrast of opinions in not only the football world but the celebrity world. Like and unlike Boz, Wilson while consistent in piling onto his legacy with stats and play was another player whose celebrity and eventually a sense of entitlement and sheltering just kind of undermined the culture at the time not just once but twice in his tenure here.

Pete and co. like the King’s horsemen was able to somewhat able to piece Humpty Dumpty Wilson together again, egg-o and all after a big fall. Give him more and more of the wall but with less and less scaffolds and nettings both at his own demand because he’s DANGERUSSly spicy. And not having enough resources at the cost of holding HDW together again, OSHA be damned. HDW was able to balance it out , not falling too much or too hard and show up and continue to perform well enough to be the talk of the town especially when the Horsmen were silencing all the hecklers, haters, and detractors away one by one. Then the King died and HDW wanted all the eggs in his own basket but started to crack and fall apart under the weight of his own egg-o. Then had the arrogance to request to the Queen Regent for all the Horsemen to be replaced because they aren’t giving him enough of the wall, not giving him enough of the safety and precautions measures and failing to hold his increasingly aging, bloated egg-o and potato sacking legacy together.

We don’t have to crack this egg, to know that the shell of his former self Humpty Dumpty Wilson takes the cake.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.