Most liked 'sleeper'/'forgotten' Hawks.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Tandem of David Sims and Sherman Smith.. the two together were dynamic.

Rat

Reaction score
One never talked about enough in football circles is Jacob Green. Only Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor had more sacks when he retired.
I was surprised to see how far ahead of everyone he is on our franchise sack list. He's at 115.5 sacks; next closest is Michael Sinclair with 73.5. Jeff Bryant (63) and Tez (58) are the only others to even eclipse half his total, and with the latter, it's just barely.

Last edited:

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Sydney Rice, Brandon Mebane and Zach Miller get my votes. All solid contributors (not world breakers by any means), but if they needed to make the play they would get it done.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Some good names here ... but my vote here is Brian Blades. The guy played his heart out for some bad teams and some OK teams, with mostly awful quarterbacks. The numbers he put up over those years are damn impressive. He never hesitated to catch the ball across the middle and often paid a huge price. One of my favorite all-time 'Hawks and I always though he deserved ROH status.

The other guy is Eugene Robinson. Prior to our Superbowl era, I always saw him as having the greatest defensive career in team history. Easley was better, of course, but his career was cut short. 'Tez was beast, but Eugene was voted MVP by his teammates in '91 and '93. He was the QB of some of the best defenses in team history. Smart and instinctive and all ball hawk. My other under-appreciated all-time favorite.

Some of the early LBs were great players also. Terry Beeson, Keith Butler, Michael Jackson .... all punishing guys. Butler will be raising the flag soon, I assume, as he's just retired from a stellar coaching career.

bileever

Reaction score
John L. Williams, Dan Doornink, Dave Brown, Ricardo Lockette (despite his involvement in the interception in SB49), Paul Skansi, DeShawn Shead, Jon Ryan, Steven Hauschka and of course, the fabulous Luke Willson.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I liked JJ, too, but he played for us in just one season, in 2005.
Yeah, I was a little peeved when they let him go.. I don't think it was a coincidence that SA had his greatest season in 05. JJ made a lot of downfield tackles that receivers now just don't make.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I haven't seen this name mentioned yet, so I'll mention it now:
Bryan Millard. He had attitude and a way with words. He once said something to the effect of, "I'd rather be trapped in a phone booth with a couple of wildcats with their tails tied together than get tackled by Fredd Young."

Boohman14

Reaction score
In the modern era I loved K.J. Wright, and Luke Wilson, Michael Robinson

In the Holmgren era I loved Bobby Engram, and Marcus Trufant or Hamlin briefly before his bar fight and Mack Strong

In the Knox Era Michael Jackson Jeff Bryant,Joe Nash and Jacob Greene and Mike Tice.