Earn Everything: Oh when the Saints go marching home

NYCoug

Reaction score
IMG 20140111 1032162528800x6002529
I won't lie. I damn near lost my mind in the week leading up to this past week's playoff game with the Saints. As I toiled away at the grind, my mind couldn't help but keep thinking of all the scenarios that could possibly unfold. You know you've damn near snapped when you start thinking about the possibilities of a 2-0 Seahawks victory in the playoffs against one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history.

Finally though, the useless week that was, was done and it was time to head back across the country to my home away from home. My tenth trip of the season to Seattle. A trip to Training Camp at the VMAC in August, 8 regular season home games, and now this. My first ever NFL playoff game. What better place than at the CLink, of course. The dream, of course, is to make 12 trips to Seattle for the 2013-2014 season. The NFC Championship being the 11th, and the parade for the Super Bowl Champion Seahawks being the 12th. There goes that number again. Coincidence? I think not. However, I can't allow myself to think ahead. Just like the team preaches, it's one game at a time. It's the mentality I've had all season long, and I'm not about to change that now at this point in the year.

Joining me for this epic day of life would be my buddy Greg. Greg and I pretty much grew up together in Queens back in the late 90's and early 2000's. I remember summers spent playing football, where Greg and I would play for hours with our friends, climbing over a giant (at the time) black fence, and through a hole in another fence to play on a cement field at a local junior high school, IS 145. Now we were 26 and about to check out a playoff game at CenturyLink Field. A long-time Jets fan, Greg has always had a soft-spot for the Seahawks, much as I've always felt the same way about the Jets. For years, Greg and a few other friends would come over to my place to watch the slate of games on Sunday Ticket. As our circle of football loving friends grew older, we took our show on the road to bars across NYC. Still, all the while, we road the wave of emotion that goes with being a diehard fan.

If you've been keeping up with me so far this season, thanks, and you'd also know that this wouldn't be Greg's first rodeo. Nope, this would be his 5th trip to a Seahawks game this season. That's pretty damn impressive in my book. Houston, Indianapolis, Atlanta, and New York (errr, Jersey) were the other spots he hit on the 2013 schedule. However, none in Seattle. What better way than a playoff game, his first as well, and a rematch with the #6 seed New Orleans Saints.

As fate would have it, despite taking different flights into SeaTac, we both arrived in Seattle at the same time, roughly 9pm on Friday night. Greg flew direct from JFK to SeaTac, while I took a more convoluted route (as usual) to save some cash, going from Newark to Charlotte, laying over for 3 hours, then finishing the trip going from Charlotte to Seattle. It's a weird thing telling someone, "I'll see you on the left coast", and then meeting up with them over 3,000 miles away. It's pretty damn cool actually.

The highlight of the travel out west actually happened back east. At Penn Station, I stopped at a convenience store and picked up a copy of the NY Daily News. Inside, there was an excellent article by Hank Gola about the noise and atmosphere at CenturyLink Field. What made this article even better was that it featured quotes from my friend Leif, the Godfather of all things ROADHAWK. Leif was one of the people who inspired me to commit to this journey the most, so I'm eternally grateful for him and it was great to see him get some much deserved ink.

IMG 20140110 1016562528800x6002529
After reading the paper twice from front to back, I finally arrived in Seattle. I headed towards Greg's arrival gate and waited for him to get off the plane. It really was great seeing someone I knew from back home in a far away place. Greg's had my back all season long, and has been extremely supportive throughout. Another person who's done the same is Jordan. If I've ever needed a place to crash, ride to the Light Rail or even the Airport, or just someone to celebrate Seahawks victories in Seattle with, it's been Jordan. The saying "do things better than they've ever been done before" has taken off around these parts. Well, Jordan definitely accomplished that when he scooped up Greg and I from the airport promptly after our flight landed at around 9PM.

With a huge playoff game just hours away, the three of us decided to head on down to the Sloop for a beer before calling it an early night. I've got to say, I was impressed with the amount of people who told me that they had a relaxing Friday night to keep themselves in tip-top shape for the big game. That's pretty heads up from the 12th Man right there. Good job all around. And for those of you that continued to rage, much respect for holding it down for the rest of us. I know it's not easy sometimes.

IMG 20140111 0139312528800x6002529
To make things even more surreal, the New York Daily News had informed me before the game that if the Seahawks won, they would want to meet up with me for an interview about the Seahawks. Hank Gola called me to inform me that pending a Seahawks victory, Filip Bondy would be contacting me about a story. I tried to stay focused on the task at hand, beating the Saints, and winning the Super Bowl. Russell would've been proud. None of this wouldn't have been possible without Leif or Seahawks.Net, and I am very grateful for both.

Finally gameday was here, and it couldn't come any sooner. I probably slept about three hours, if that, and was ready to go at around 7AM. You all know how it is, especially the day before a playoff game. Sleep, while a noble idea, is basically impossible to achieve. As we rose, the nerves were apparent. We all tried to play it cool, but deep down we all knew that this was going to be one anxiety-fueled day. Still, we remained confident that the Seahawks would ultimately set themselves up for a shot at the NFC Championship at the CLink just one week later.

Much like the Cardinals and Rams games before it, I played a game of Madden on Jordan's PS4. For some reason, I've always loved playing the upcoming Seahawks matchup in Madden, even if I haven't always been the biggest fan of the game. As luck would have it, both times Jordan and I played the upcoming game, the results from the video game ended up matching the results in real life, to some extent. We couldn't believe the whoopin' the Cardinals put on us and we were excited for the prospects of a Division Championship after spanking Kellen Clemens and the Rams. After some fooshnickens (pronounced foo-shnickens, a word created by my friend Darryl from back home, meaning nonsense) the Saints absolutely pasted the Hawks. Drew Brees couldn't be stopped. Before leaving the next morning however, I picked up the sticks again, and this time was able to manhandle the Saints. Balance was restored to the universe.

Greg and I would be sitting in Section 315 free of charge courtesy of James, aka "The Doc." James had previously given his tickets to his son, but unfortunately his son could not attend due to being on his honeymoon. Congratulations are definitely in order, as is a giant thank you to James. Free tickets to a playoff game? That's practically unheard of in this "Stubhub" day and age, where fans can sell tickets they aren't using and make a pretty penny to help finance their season tickets. Such a kind gesture doesn't go unnoticed and will never be forgotten.

Before it was time to get to our seats though, it was time to calm some of those nerves with a little tailgating! The guys from Nintendo on Massachusetts know how to throw down! Popcorn shrimp, black beans, and the kegs were definitely flowing. However, you could tell that everyone had their eye to the immediate future. As the rain and wind began to pick up after the skies had been looking a bit too pleasant earlier in the morning, the reality of the situation was starting to set in. This could be the last game the Seattle Seahawks play this season. For this reason, not many were taking the Saints lightly. In fact, quite a few people I ran into were very nervous about the Saints revenge mission. Not us though, that's just not what we do. That's not how we were programmed.

After dispatching some shrimp and talking about all the possible scenarios, and even getting to cop a feel of the Lombardi Trophy, the three of us headed towards Temple Billiards. It's not often that you can feel like a regular at a place clear across the country, but that's how I feel at Temple. There's nowhere else I'd rather go before a 'Hawks game. The combination of great people, hardcore Seahawks fans, and awesome Bloody Mary's make it the place to go before a game, in my opinion. When I walk in, my friend who works the bar, Steve, is swamped. As are all of the rest of the bartenders. As you could imagine, the crowd is more like a mob. The place is packed and people are rushing to the bar. Anything to calm the nerves.

Meeting us near the door are old friends Steve and his son Zack. Zack hands me a hoodie that his dad had been holding for me, I left it at his place when staying there for Christmas with his family. I guess you could say I'm a forgetful guy, as that's not even close to the only thing that I've lost or misplaced throughout this journey. My friends and loved ones would attest as well. Still, Steve and his family had my back. We make our way downstairs, where it's a little less crowded. The intense, playoff atmosphere lingers through the air, and you can tell that everyone is ready for kickoff. Ready to watch the battle that's about to ensue. Steve hands me a Bloody Mary, and for a split second, it's the only thing that keeps my mind off of the game. I never knew how much I loved pickled asparagus. Thank you, Temple Billiards.

Conversations intertwine like chords of the spine. Throughout the room you can hear various stories of Seahawks glory (and doom) past and present. The memories are like tattoos, forever etched in the hearts of Seahawks fans forever. Whether upbeat, or downtrodden, they are still games that remind us of various different times in our lives. Like many Seahawks fans, I can associate some of the big events in my life with who the Seahawks were playing that day or that week. I am not the only one, of course. We all wear these memories like badges of honor, and speak of them with pride. Even if it's a tale about Clipboard Jesus or David Greene, it still usually ends with a smile or a laugh now. It wasn't always that way. We couldn't always smile after those stories because they were usually still reality. Not anymore. Times have changed.

Once the clock strikes 12:30, everyone finishes their drinks and begins the trek to the CLink. Like soldiers being deployed, we say our goodbyes all while wondering if this could be the last time we do so. Nothing is guaranteed, especially against a great team like the Saints. Everything must be earned. Luckily, the Seattle Seahawks and their 12th Man are ready, willing, and able to earn everything at all times, at all costs. We rush up the stairs, nervous with excitement, and Greg and I join Steve and Zack for a pregame hot dog at Joe's outside of the stadium. On the way, a man stops me and asks if I post on Seahawks.Net. "Yes", I reply, and he begins to tell me that he lurks and has seen that I have been attempting to go to every game. I ask him for his name, and I think he says that his name is Matt. Then, he gives me a giant hug and tells me that he's proud of me for what I'm doing. That was pretty damn cool, I must say.

We pull up to Joe's and grab some dogs. Zack and Greg go with the Sherman Dog, Steve goes with the classic Largent Dog, and I decide to honor the Beast with a Lynch Dog with Cream Cheese. I'm addicted to hot dogs with cream cheese now. Thank you, Joe's. It's fitting that New Orleans is in town, because Steve is a saint and pays for the grub. There can't be many more giving and caring people in the world than my friend Steve. It's impossible.

After scarfing down our pregame meal, we head to Touchdown City to begin the voyage to our seats. Just as we enter, 3 security guards surround a man. Steve says "Hey, that's Jim Zorn!" Low and behold, it is Jimmy Z! He's giving us high fives and is extremely fired up. The security guards try to keep him focused and try to pull him back on track. As he's being pulled away, Jim looks at Zack and says "you better yell!" The whole encounter gives everyone chills. Don't worry Jim, I'm sure Zack made you proud. We then put two and two together and realize that those security guards are probably taking Jim to the 12th Man Flag, and that he's been given the honor of raising the flag. Just an amazing scene that leaves us stunned as head towards the giant "I'm In" sign that everyone is signing in Touchdown City.

Once there, I bump into the family who I sat behind for a few games when I sat in the North End Zone. Great people and great fans, with some family in Long Island so who knows, maybe we'll see them again in February? We shall see. For now, it was approaching game time and it the festivities were about to get under way. We go to the turnstiles and the kind lady who scans my ticket (if only they were hard copies! Oh well) looks in to my eyes and yells "GO Hawks!" I'm in love with the support for this team from everyone. From the buildings downtown with their lights forming the #12, to the people checking tickets, everyone is all in and I love it!

To the seats we go as the rain and wind steadies. We get there just in time, as that chilling music begins to play and the video board begins to flash clues and clips to let everyone know who the 12th Man Flag Raiser is. There he is, our boy, Jim Zorn! Zorn is still fired up and raises the flag in what has to be record time. I don't know if it was the wind or if Zorn was just that damn pumped and jacked, but whatever it was, it was incredible. The crowd is going nuts as Steven Hauschka tees the ball up for the opening kickoff. To show it's might and what had in store for both teams, the wind knocks the ball off of the tee. That doesn't stop the screaming and the yelling and the cheering. Hauschka places the ball back on the tee and gives it a thunderous boot. The game starts with a touchback and with that, yhe first playoff game of my life was underway.

The game was every bit as heated and contested as you would expect it to be. The Saints wanted to show the world that the Seahawks and CenturyLink Field do not own acres of property in their heads, and the Seahawks wanted to prove to everyone that they were not going to follow recent years trends and bow out early as #1 seeds recently have been prone to do. Whether it be Jimmy Graham jawing with Bruce Irvin, which led to Graham's now infamous "I'm Jimmy" quote (newsflash Mr. Graham, it's Jimi, and you are definitely not him), or Saints defenders pretty clearly going after Percy Harvin's domepiece, there was no love lost between the two sides.

IMG 20140112 2151112528800x6002529
It might not have seemed so bad on television, but let me assure you that the weather played it's part in this game. I won't excuse away all of Drew Brees and Russell Wilson's struggles as being weather related, but the conditions definitely didn't help matters. Just ask Thomas Morestead and Jon Ryan what they thought of the swirling winds and driving rains. Both punters looked like they were back in Pee Wee football with punts that couldn't even span 25 yards. Despite it all, I liked the Seahawks apparent approach. Play amazing, smothering defense, jump ahead early, and grind it out with Marshawn Lynch all day. It might not be the prettiest style of play, but since when did the city of Seattle worry about being pretty? Isn't it that elusive ring that we're all after that matters most?

Another thing your TV probably downplays is how loud it is at CenturyLink Field during a playoff game. I thought I knew what loud was when the 'Hawks hosted the Rams with it all on the line, or when we set the noise record against the Saints on Monday Night Football, or even when we set the noise record the first time against the 'Niners. That was raucous, and that was crazy, but this was savage. A primal, guttural sound that emanates from within when your going crazy over something you're really passionate about. In this case, it just so happens that these screaming bunch of lunatics all love the Seattle Seahawks. What better place to be on a Saturday? I look around, take in the moment, and realize that there's nowhere else I'd rather be in this moment.

By the way, that flash of lightning you saw in Saturday's game has a name, and it's Percy Harvin. Not only was it good to have him back, but Percy showed his toughness by absorbing some huge hits from the Saints DB's. Still, what everyone will remember from #11 in this one was his knack for not giving a damn about his body's well being, and that he's fast as all hell! When he took that end-around for a first down and was looking for contact, I thought that I've never seen a Seahawk so fast. Charlie Rogers? No chance. Joey Galloway? Perhaps. Daryl Turner? I don't think I'm qualified to say. The end result was a little more grim however, as Percy had to be taken out of the game due to a concussion. Something tells me we'll be seeing him this Sunday.

IMG 20140112 1348022528800x6002529
As the game wore on, the Saints just wouldn't give up. You had to expect that with Drew Brees at the helm. The Saints continued to struggle with the wind, as Shayne Graham misses another opportunity to bring the Saints closer yet. After another miraculous catch from Doug Baldwin along the sidelines, it appeared that Marshawn put things to bed with his mini-Quake that gave Seattle a 23-8 lead. Drew Brees wasn't dead yet however, and the Seahawks defense appeared allergic to catching the football. As always seems to be the case, the Saints made the 'Hawks pay for their miscues and just like that, we had a game on our hands.

I was never worried though. There was no way the Saints were beating the Seahawks on this day. Even if some fans weren't impressed with the performance, it got the job done, and that's all that matters this time of year. The absolute greatest moment of the game had to be Marshawn Lynch bustin' it for a TD to pretty much seal the deal. I'm not going to take all the credit for Beast's performance because I went with the Lynch Dog before the game, actually, I will. Lynch Dog's for everyone!

As the clock struck all zero's, relief rushed over the masses. To the 12th Man's credit, everyone still seemed focused on the task at hand after the game. People were happy, and the celebrations at Temple afterwards were great, but no one will be satisfied with anything less than a Super Bowl. It's been an amazing run, but it can't just be a run. It's gotta' go down in history as one of the greatest, most resilient bunch of people that play the game of football winning the game's biggest prize and the legendary fanbase who cheered them on every step of the way.

After leaving Temple, our now larger group headed to J&M. Joining Jordan, Greg, and I were Walt and Leif. Walt's a New York City Firefighter and one hell of a guy. He helped inspire me to embark on this quest. We met years ago and I was blown away by the fact that a guy from New York had season tickets and traveled across the country for Seahawks home games. When we first met, we agreed that the Tarvaris Jackson signing was okay and that we didn't mind him being the QB for the Seahawks who bridged the gap as we searched diligently for our franchise QB and savior. We all know how that went.

As we stood talking, with the band absolutely destroying it in the background, a familiar hand patted me on the shoulder. It was Kam Chancellor's brother Cornel's father in law. We had met in St. Louis and Atlanta previously at pregame and postgame celebrations. Cornel is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Our flight to St. Louis was delayed in DC and he bought me a drink after hearing about my travels this season. Come to think of it, that was the closest I've come to missing a game this season. I would have been a wreck if it weren't for Cornel being there to chill while we waited during the delay. It was completely out of our hands, so we didn't stress it.

Cornel's father-in-law tells me about how upset Cornel would be because he's not around at the moment. He had just left. He takes me over to his table and tells me that he wants me to meet someone. I wonder who it could be until we reach the table in the corner and he introduces me to Kam Chancellor's mother. I was honored, and humbled, to meet the mother of such a great Seahawk and more importantly such a great person. As vicious as Kam is on the field, his mother makes up for it by being the sweetest lady in the world off the field. We all talk as the band continues to set the soundtrack for the night with Suze Sims belting out tunes while nailing the drums like Kam does receivers.

Everything was perfect, and we finally headed home to call it a night. The Seahawks had won, our first playoff game was a success, and we got to hang out with some great people. You couldn't ask for anything more.

Again, I won't lie, it sucked waking up to watch the 49ers eventually beat the Panthers in a game where the referees snuffed out any chance Carolina had early and often. Our collective blood boiled as we watched Jim Harbaugh whine and complain to the officials, while Anquan Boldin headbutts defenders with no repercussions. However, we all agreed that the best case scenario for this massive NFC Championship will be allowing the 49ers to implode. Let them play the same way they did against Carolina, I'd be surprised if the refs let them get away with half of what they got away with last week. Better yet, how 'bout the 'Hawks just destroy them so we don't even have to worry about the zebras?

As Greg and I set sails on our trip back home, we couldn't believe that this was actually reality. An NFC Championship matchup with our most hated rivals, the San Francisco 49ers, looming in the not so distant future. After weeks of preparation, the moment was finally here. It was reality. I drop off Greg at his JetBlue gate and walk towards mine. With a 4 hour layover approaching in Charlotte, I thought for sure that meant that the Panthers would pull their game out. After all, it was the first city I had a layover in all season, when I stopped there on my way to Seattle in August for Training Camp. Banners and posters of Cam Newton are all over the place, and there's even an EA Sports store in the airport where you can play video games. No one is wearing any Panthers gear though, and I bump into a family of 49ers fans before I see anything even remotely associated with the Panthers.

Good luck trying to sleep this week. Everyone might want to take a page out of my friend Leif's book and start drinking tea with a side of aspirin. He says it gets him into game mode, and with his history of traveling to Seahawks games to cheer them on, I won't argue with him. For a game of this magnitude, whatever it takes. Don't worry Seahawks fans, we got this! We all we got, we all we need!

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
AWESOME TO READ.

Hope I get to catch you in TD City again so I can get you another beer.

Exittium

Reaction score
Yeah man that was amazing nothing but pure pleasure to read. Thank you so much for doing this, its amazing and allows those of us who can't physically be at those games, feel like we're there. Just amazing, once again thank you.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
Great read! Man, I haven't thought of the Sloop in many a year. Used to be one of my watering holes in the late 80's along with the Coppergate and Tor's Tavern.

Good luck on your travels this weekend.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Great post, great read my man. Thanks for taking the time. It's awesome to 'come along' on your journeys through your descriptions.

A special shout out is in order for James too. Not in the least surprised he gave you his tix. He is one of the nicest people I have unfortunately never had the pleasure of meeting. That must change.

RockHawk

Reaction score
There's a reason I gave Hank you and Leif as examples of 12's we can all respect. Thanks for sharing the experience again Dave!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Great write up as always my man...Question...How do you have a photo of the Lombardi with the Seahawks name on it??

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
NYCoug":2aih54ga said:
Another thing your TV probably downplays is how loud it is at CenturyLink Field during a playoff game. I thought I knew what loud was when the 'Hawks hosted the Rams with it all on the line, or when we set the noise record against the Saints on Monday Night Football, or even when we set the noise record the first time against the 'Niners. That was raucous, and that was crazy, but this was savage. A primal, guttural sound that emanates from within when your going crazy over something you're really passionate about. In this case, it just so happens that these screaming bunch of lunatics all love the Seattle Seahawks. What better place to be on a Saturday? I look around, take in the moment, and realize that there's nowhere else I'd rather be in this moment.

So true.

I remember during the SB run in 05/06, the crowd, the loudness, was just different. So much more amped up, so... I don't know how to describe it. It was like some sort of group-think, hive-mind, like the 12th Man was going to try and effect the outcome of the game. We we're trying to insert our selfs in the game, we were trying to effect the outcome of the game with our will.

It was amazing. Intense. :34853_tinfoil:

OrFan

Reaction score
I've been so waiting for this. To be able to read your journey highlights each week is a pleasure. I only got to attend one game this year, but I feel as though I have been to each and every one thanks to your writing.

I so wish my life weren't so written out at this point, that I could do something like this. Someone needs to represent those of us who are not able to do this ourselves. You represent us well.

Till next week's write-up, cheers to a great week at the NFC Championship game.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Aros":1s1s6768 said:
Great write up as always my man...Question...How do you have a photo of the Lombardi with the Seahawks name on it??

It was at one of the tailgates we were at before the game. I was shocked when I picked it up. From afar I thought it would be a cheap replica. But no, it was probably about as close to the real thing as you can get. The engraving just took it over the top.