Mort: Seahawks looking at Vince Young as a back-up

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Bringing in Young wouldn't just be dumb.

It would be moronic. Maybe even moronic enough to tip team chemistry.

Ask the Texas fans, they will tell you stories of Vince telling his coaches to shut the hell up. They will tell you stories about him creating an us vs them mentality between the players and coaches.

Not to mention that the guy has the IQ of a sandflea. How exactly would this help us?

Backup QBs are actually important. Ask Steelers fans about it but it doesn't have to just be something that severe.

There have been times where a good team gets their QB hurt in a hard fought game, the next game is against a lesser team so they rest the guy to let him heal. The backup keeps the team on track for a game or two. Then the starter comes back in fully healed without nagging injuries that will affect the team through the playoffs.

We are neck and neck with the 49ers in chasing after the division, based just on last year. The rest of the teams in our division are getting better and teams like Atlanta are getting better but getting an easier schedule. Contrary to popular belief, we do not have a road to the Super Bowl paved with pillows. One or two games lost because of a freak injury can hurt us. Heck last year, one game might have been the difference between homefield throughout the playoffs.

Bringing in a guy who would lose an IQ contest to a tube of toothpaste is not going to help things.

A backup needs to do two of the three:

1. Be a possible QB in development for the future or for trades
2. Be a resource to help further develop Wilson
3. Be able and effective enough to win games if the starter goes down.

Bringing in Young would accomplish none of those 3. It wouldn't just be stupid. It would be mindblowingly stupid. Charlie Whitehurst-level stupid.

DohBoy

Reaction score
HawkWow":2wbabckb said:
We should offer Oakland a 7th for Matt Flynn. Just to see if they're paying attention.

Thanks, that one made me laugh.

DohBoy

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Hearing that Seattle is "discussing" or "looking" at certain players/prospects doesn't give me the same excitement/worry that it use to 2-3 years ago, because as we know now, they have discussions about everybody but only make a deal on roughly 5-10% of them (Schneider's words).

At this point, I expect the hawks to draft a QB to be the #2, but I also expect at least one vet to come into training camp to compete for that spot. I'd be mildly disappointed if it was Young, but I also think it'll be more of a Terrell Owens-type deal than anything else with a VY being a long shot to be the backup.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I agree with taking a look at him, he has a lot of ability still I suspect but a lot of emotional issues.

I don't get all the love for Portis. The times I have watched him play he has been terrible. I honestly would feel better with MRob at QB than him.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I think it is a good idea to look at Vince Young, Tyler Thigpen and even Jamarcus Russell. If they have an agent working for them, then they must be serious about making a comeback.

Pete is a players coach and as a result the Seahawks are a close knit team. If anyone can bring a lost talent back to being a productive team mate and person, it is the Seahawks organization.

Pete also has no problem letting a talented "headcase" go...LenDale White as an example. We brought in "suspect" talent at WR and TE this season and later sent them packing when the mistake was realized.

Admit it...You want to see Jamarcus Russell running the ball!

bubbrubb

Reaction score
draft matt scott so when we go 13-0 and lock up home field he has three games to show his stuff. Call plays that favor his skills so his value aapreciates and double your money. Would fit the read option mold that we got going...

Axx

Reaction score
i dont mind if he comes here as backup, as long as he gets paid in peanuts.

SE174

Reaction score
Largent80":1oofbra2 said:
Portis fan here.....Go away Tebow T-Jack, hell anyone with T in their name.
Russell's middle name is Carrington. Icon e geek

McGruff

Reaction score
Happypuppy":1zwub332 said:
I agree with taking a look at him, he has a lot of ability still I suspect but a lot of emotional issues.

I don't get all the love for Portis. The times I have watched him play he has been terrible. I honestly would feel better with MRob at QB than him.

Puppy does not seem very happy :(

Portis is a guy who has gotten literally ZERO quality coaching for the last 6 years for a variety of reasons. Everything he does is raw talent. I think he's shown enough to make me wonder what he could do if given a chance to respond to dedicated nFL coaching.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
But Mort has since tweeted this:

@mortreport I think the VY discussion has ended. No Seattle. “@mfisherwa: Pete's always talked highly of VY's athleticism”

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Don't want VY at all, Qb is the last position you want a head case, he might be better than before but he still has bagage and will think he deserves more respect than he should get.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I would really like Portis to get a shot too! With @DangeRuss as a mentor he might put it all together.

How many times have you "choked" when it's time to sink the 8 ball? Maybe it's a nervous thing that Russell could help him overcome. Russell could sure help him with study and understanding the offense too.

Portis would also be super cheap and would come with the "chip on my shoulder" mentality. Worth another try!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
SE174":31fgjp2r said:
Largent80":31fgjp2r said:
Portis fan here.....Go away Tebow T-Jack, hell anyone with T in their name.
Russell's middle name is Carrington. Icon e geek

Also, who knows what that RAW ability can become if Portis becomes a sponge in the ocean that is Russell Wilson's intangibles.

LOL, quoted wrong post.

captSE

Reaction score
We shouldn't be babbling about what back up we need......horse dodo.

Portis should have started over T-jack last year.

nwgamer

Reaction score
TheWebHead":3a1di28l said:
But Mort has since tweeted this:

@mortreport I think the VY discussion has ended. No Seattle. “@mfisherwa: Pete's always talked highly of VY's athleticism”

ECHO Curtis Crabtree PFT:

UPDATE 12:58 a.m. ET: Seattle’s interest in Vince Young appears to have been short-lived. Mortensen is now reporting the Seahawks have ended their discussions about Young and he won’t be headed to Seattle.

/thread

Happypuppy

Reaction score
McGruff":wddiubcc said:
Happypuppy":wddiubcc said:

Puppy does not seem very happy :(

Portis is a guy who has gotten literally ZERO quality coaching for the last 6 years for a variety of reasons. Everything he does is raw talent. I think he's shown enough to make me wonder what he could do if given a chance to respond to dedicated nFL coaching.

I am just not excited about a guy that's line in 2011 was 10-24 , 124 yards and 1 TD.
I saw him in preseason I. '11 and '12 and I was impressed with his athletic ability and speed but he is not a very good passer at all.

How about this guy?

"First quarterback in Penn State history to run for at least ten touchdowns in a season. His 28 touchdowns (17 passing, 11 rushing) was one shy of the school season-record of 29 (26 rushing, 3 catching) by Lydell Mitchell in 1971. He also became the first Nittany Lion to throw three touchdown passes in three separate games during the same season"

That is MRob... Ad his numbers out of college blew Portis out of the water.

Seriously , if they think they can turn Portis into an NFL QB I will be impressed, but as long as Wilson stays healthy we are good and its moot who the backup is