More Geno Speculation - From 5 GM's & 3 Agents

LeveeBreak

Reaction score

toffee

Reaction score
I think the range that .net has been discussing is the same range as those in the biz. 28-38m/yr.

Not sure if Geno bought his current '17 Rolls brand new or used, but finally, Geno could start buying brand new Rolls Royces and whatever toys that he fancy.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I totally forgot about the franchise tag option, its spendy but only a 1 year commitment.

Draft a QB and let him learn for a year...then make a big choice the next year.

I love it!

AgentDib

Reaction score
The franchise tag could make sense here if we can't work out an extension. We'd be OK with the more affordable non-exclusive variant which has a much more reasonable price tag of $31.5m compared to the $45.5m exclusive version. The difference is that teams could talk to Geno but would have to give us two first round picks if they signed him.

However, that should just make the extension likelier. Geno playing one year at 31.5m is a lot more risk for him than getting a multiple year deal around 25m-30m with a lot more guaranteed money up front.

Mase

Reaction score
-- I admit, I am fighting my own confirmation bias here, as I was very much a non believer in Geno coming into the season, but unless he blows the doors off the rest of the season, I don't want to commit a bucket load of money to him. This defense will be top five with some added pass rush, and pass rush costs money, and draft picks. Geno is having a great year, but not in the sense that some other team will back up the Brinks truck for him. Teams might now think that Pete Carroll is pretty devious at hiding his QBs weaknesses from the marketplace..... I know the Broncos do.

Mase

Jegpeg

Reaction score
2 year deal max.

If he wants more, let him walk
Depends how much he wants. I would be quite happy for a 3 year contract if it is around $25m p.a. if he is wants $30m then we are talking a 2 year contract and much more than that we slap on the franchise tag.

nanomoz

Reaction score
It's going to take some cap wiggling. The Hawks aren't in nearly as good of a cap situation as many in the media think. They've only got 33 players under contract next season. And about $46 million in cap space. $10ish milliion or so will need to be allocated to rookie contracts.

I can't see any possible way they don't cut Diggs. And they should absolutely try to restructure Adams's deal.

Probably Gabe Jackson can go, too. His dead cap hit is palatable.

Maybe QJeff and Woods?

Outside of those guys, there's not a ton of obvious savings to pursue.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The problem with tagging him (and not extending him) is the team's available cap space in 2023 is being eaten up by one player at the risk of extending other players already on the team (and signing other FAs).

For that reason, I don't like using the franchise tag.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I've been loving watching Geno play this season, and I'm sure this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather use draft capital to get a good young qb that won't cost as much over the next 4-5 years than pay Geno a penny over $25 million. Yes he's been stellar, but I don't think he can get that kind of money outside of Seattle and if he can, I say best of luck to you Geno.

Own The West

Reaction score
I'd want 3 years with a potential out after 2, myself

The more we can spread these bonuses out over years, the better it is for the cap. Excessively short, big money deals kill cap room like nothing else. I'd rather risk some dead money.
I agree. I've been repping a 3 year $20-25M APY with a ridiculous signing bonus (e.g $30M) next year so Geno can get his money, but we don't get Russelled if he can't sustain it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I'd want 3 years with a potential out after 2, myself

The more we can spread these bonuses out over years, the better it is for the cap. Excessively short, big money deals kill cap room like nothing else. I'd rather risk some dead money.
yep!! ^^^

sdog1981

Reaction score
This is his last chance to get paid. The dude is going to start at 4 years 120 fully guaranteed and go from there.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
2 year deal max.

I disagree. We just need to keep the guarantee money in the first two years. Add a third at high salary but not guaranteed and both parties are motivated to stay dedicated through the contract. In the meantime, either Lock is developing into the longer term guy or you’re developing a draft pick who is. Best case scenario IMO

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
I've been loving watching Geno play this season, and I'm sure this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather use draft capital to get a good young qb that won't cost as much over the next 4-5 years than pay Geno a penny over $25 million. Yes he's been stellar, but I don't think he can get that kind of money outside of Seattle and if he can, I say best of luck to you Geno.
I agree. This is an unpopular opinion. Pay Geno to keep him here for the next two years. Plan to replace him and make sure the next guy is ready or pay Geno again.

hawks85

Reaction score
2 year deal max.

I'll give Geno his props but he just can't walk into negotiations and start demanding anything. Sure, he's having a great season, but that's the point. ONE good season that's it. Is that worth 30-35 mil a year, not to me it isn't unless they win the SB this year, and even if that does happen I still wanna see 1 more year.

OP
OP
LeveeBreak

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I'll give Geno his props but he just can't walk into negotiations and start demanding anything. Sure, he's having a great season, but that's the point. ONE good season that's it. Is that worth 30-35 mil a year, not to me it isn't unless they win the SB this year, and even if that does happen I still wanna see 1 more year.
Well, other QBs have been paid top 10 money for less impressive seasons. It should be interesting.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Still a lot of football to be played. Seahawks are smart to ride it out. I wouldn’t rule out a QB with their first pick still