Metcalf and Taylor scuffle during practice

keasley45

Reaction score
Geno and Lock do? Lol

No. They don't necessarily. But my point was that the leadership of the team and its identity isn't being carried by the qb (or stunted) the way it was made to with Russ. Sherm said it himself. The fire and intensity that made the Hawks great was muted when the identity of the team was made to account for Russ and the need for him to be the guy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fights at a practice? Oh the horror. It has been happening for decades. Josh Allen just got in another fight at practice. I guess he must be a "diva"

Suck it up and get fired up for the season. The LOB had SEVERAL fights, big deal.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Fights at a practice? Oh the horror. It has been happening for decades. Josh Allen just got in another fight at practice. I guess he must be a "diva"

Suck it up and get fired up for the season. The LOB had SEVERAL fights, big deal.

LOB would have multiple skirmishes a TC.

This is just one and people are concerned.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Football practice fights are common and as old as the game. Players fight in middle school, high school, college and the pros. They're usually over by the end of practice.

Players on offense think players on defense are mouth breathing dolts. Players on defense, being mouth breathing dolts, usually do something stupid to initiate a fight. Of course I'm not biased.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I appreciate the passion. DK just seems to have a shorter leash with a lot of fans. Just seems odd that's all.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I love it. Means we’re a playoff team with a competitive edge

Throwdown

Reaction score
Must be getting into the dog days of camp. Aiyuk and Warner squared off twice today as well

Usually gets intense around the first game.

But twice!? That’s some high quality 24 hour beef right there

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. It's often the best players too. Ultra competitive, tired and grumpy, and ready to play some football. Love it.
Those 2 are both beasts. I doubt anyone is called that a "divas" in Santa Clara for getting in a scrap.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
No. They don't necessarily. But my point was that the leadership of the team and its identity isn't being carried by the qb (or stunted) the way it was made to with Russ. Sherm said it himself. The fire and intensity that made the Hawks great was muted when the identity of the team was made to account for Russ and the need for him to be the guy.

If the QB isnt the leader of the team or at least the offense then who is it going to be? Metcalf? Lol, good luck with that.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
They'll have mutual enemies soon, and it'll (probably?) all be forgotten.

I'd rather see some fire like this than apathy!
Exactly. Unless they're throwing blows, sucker punching and/or injuring themselves or others, let them scuffle. It's normal.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score

Allen got his money and now he thinks he's Jeff George.

keasley45

Reaction score
If the QB isnt the leader of the team or at least the offense then who is it going to be? Metcalf? Lol, good luck with that.

There are different leaders on a football team. Does the QB have to lead? Yes. Strong character, demands and gets respect - from both sides of the ball.

But the spiritual, emotional leader... that doesn't have to be the QB and it shouldn't when your qb is someone like Joe Flacco.

For example, Big Ben was A leader on his team. Demanded and got respect from everyone, but the fire of that team came from the defense and running game in it's hey day. Ben was a part of it. And it wasn't muted because of Ben.

Here, prior to Geno and Lock, the QBs temperament dictated the demeanor of the team. Less fire, less spirit. Not disputable.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Here, prior to Geno and Lock, the QBs temperament dictated the demeanor of the team. Less fire, less spirit. Not disputable.

I think your on glue. Wilson was the leader and general of the huddle. Like him or not, the guy got results and commanded respect. Not disputable.

keasley45

Reaction score
Your arguing something I'm not. Sure. He led the huddle. Not the point. His inability to take criticism in practice from teammates necessitated the coddling from his coach and the need for him to be handled lightly. That created animosity and the division that led to the demise of the competitive spirit and fire that looks to be back.

I dont know why this is an issue. It's been written about and quoted from a few articles. It's been referenced here in this forum several times.

When you create an exception for a player who is a leader, that sets him outside of the fire of competition - and actually mandates a standard that the fire and intensity that boils out of competition should be tempered because said leader can't take it, well then you've effectively thrown water on that flame and what unfolded here on this team is the result.

That condition no longer exists. The qbs we have on the roster now might not have Russ 's resume, but they also don't come with the protected, 'fragile' label that he had. Competition, fire and the criticism that SHOULD come when you aren't on your game are back.