Max Unger and 1st for Jimmy Graham and 4th round pick

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":3irh3vxg said:
kidhawk":3irh3vxg said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/575388362200190976[/tweet]

Can someone explain to me what this means? I'm not up on how the young people talk these days. :les:

Irvin still need to sock him out one time if he come to Seattle

pmedic920

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3nw2yuru said:
He'll technically be a tight end, but he'll get split out wide all game long like he did in New Orleans. He'll basically be our #1 receiver that a certain person who's on vacation has been harping about.

I remember when he was working on his last deal, he argued that he was a WR and not used as a TE.
I THINK he will be our #1 unless something even more shocking transpires.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I love how everyone keeps bringing up the "Pro Bowl center" description for Unger.

Unger hasn't been near Pro Bowl caliber in almost 3 years now. Not to mention his snaps are all over the damn place.

You can find a center just fine. You can't find talent like Jimmy Graham nearly as easy.

This is not a great deal, this is highway robbery from this FO.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jimmy Graham isn't coming to Seattle to play TE. He will be a WR here. He can't block and doesn't like to block. That's why McCoy was resigned. McCoy can block. While I hate losing Unger, he was gone for a good part of last year and the team still finished 12-4. Plus went to the Superbowl. Lewis and LJP will do fine. There are some nice centers in the draft - Grasu, Dismuukes, Gralik, and Finney are all solid centers. I particularly see them going after Gralik in the 3rd or 4th round. He fits the type of center that will do well here.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Out of the LMJ, Schilling, and Lewis trio that filled in for injured Unger, Lewis was by far the better of the three. But assuming he can start is foolish.

We have to get a center.

Hawks46

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1ipy6h5n said:
I don't care, I LOVE THIS!!!!! We needed a threat on a receiving end, and now we finally got one. Graham is a chess piece, he can moved inside outside, and play like a WR. Imagine Chris Matthews and Graham on the outside, Baldwin in the slot, Marshawn in the backfield. Graham knows how to play with a short QB and will give insight into how him and Brees does it. It's a win/win. Irvin will be fine with Graham looked at how Harvin and Sherman got along afterwards.

Great point about playing with Brees. Graham will bring something.

Graham is the 2nd best TE in the league. You just don't get guys like this in FA, and when you do, they get over paid like Suh did because the excitement they generate.

Tons of fans wanted Thomas from Denver, who's also soft and won't play dinged. Graham at least plays dinged up. And Graham is a way better TE. We weren't going to get this level of talent with the 31st pick.

We can find a Center and Guard. Hell, resign LJP and Schlling and we're basically back to last year for half the year. Add some OL talent in the draft (we have less holes to fill), the draft was weak on TE's anyways so this looked to be a weakness we might not have filled.

Look at it this way: would you rather start the season with Unger and whoever backing him up, while trotting out Willson as your #1, Moeaki as your 2 and Helfet/McCoy as your 3, or Graham as your 1, Willson as your 2, and LJP/Schilling/Lewis as your Center group ?

We'll have an easier time this year filling OG and C in the draft than TE was looking like.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
WOW. Well, since he lost that ruling trying to be called a WR we get to use him like a WR and pay him like the elite TE he is. Should be fun.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":36aco0ls said:
You can find a center just fine. You can't find talent like Jimmy Graham nearly as easy. .

For sure, Pete and John have always coveted unique players, and Graham fits that mold.

Like I said, I'd be more excited about this if our O-line was already rock solid across the line, but it's not. But I will reserve final judgement after the rest of FA and the draft. I do expect us to go HARD offensive line in the draft.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Looking at the tweets from the other olineman...............they do not seem too pleased with this transaction.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I agree. Next year is going to be fun.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3ubi4mor said:
Looking at the tweets from the other olineman...............they do not seem too pleased with this transaction.

Post them or provide links please :D

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1onpkov1 said:
Jimmy Graham isn't coming to Seattle to play TE. He will be a WR here. He can't block and doesn't like to block. That's why McCoy was resigned. McCoy can block.

He will be both.

Part of what makes Graham, and for that matter Gronk, so dangerous is the fact they are a complete mismatch across the middle of the field.

Not to mention.. the one team that's really stopped Graham? Seattle.

Again.. I don't see how ANY Seahawks fan cannot be beyond excited about this move.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
If you want to utilize Jimmy Graham correctly you have to allow him time to run a route and get open. The problem of having less than adequate time for Russell to throw is only going to be enhanced by Unger (and Carpenter) not being in the mix. While it's awesome to have a guy of Graham's receiving ability in this offense unless they now somehow address the offensive line in a major way I don't like this move at all.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":4uiduup9 said:
I love how everyone keeps bringing up the "Pro Bowl center" description for Unger.

Unger hasn't been near Pro Bowl caliber in almost 3 years now. Not to mention his snaps are all over the damn place.

You can find a center just fine. You can't find talent like Jimmy Graham nearly as easy.

This is not a great deal, this is highway robbery from this FO.
I agree with this 100%. I think this is a case of people overrating "our" players. Unger is fine but always hurt and isn't the caliber of player he used to be.

I wanted Julius Thomas because of what he brought to the table, but he's not near the player Graham is and now Graham is cheaper than Thomas. What an unbelievable deal for the Hawks!

Hawks46

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":28lqmqcd said:
DJrmb":28lqmqcd said:
Look out for Stefen Wisniewski, he's been undervalued so far this FA period and would be a solid option at Center for us!

Exactly.

Additionally, when looking at some of the day 3 athletic prospects on the OL, I even made a note: Too bad we aren't in the market for a center. There are some decent looking OC prospects this year that should be available in the 4th/5th round range.

Good info. It was obvious there wasn't a TE talent like Graham in the draft (plenty of large WR that we can still draft), so good to know we can recover easier going OL.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1mcz1v1o said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/575388362200190976[/tweet]

Thank God for the urban dictionary...

Fade
to fight or deal with one appropriately.
"If someone steals from me, I'll have to show them the fade!"

It'll be interesting. Jimmy's got some enemies (soon to be frenemies?) in the locker room. He's always seemed like a jerk and a diva that expects to be forced the ball. Yay, another Percy.

Saints33

Reaction score
I think both teams came out good in this deal. We needed a Center badly and literally have no cap space. This doesn't help us much this year with cap room but will next few years. Ya'll were in need of a big play receiving threat. Graham will play through injuries and is a mismatch on the outside, however, he isn't a very good blocker.