Marshawn Lynch unhappy with his contract?

Johnny

Reaction score
If this story does turn out to be true....

Then there is only one thing to say to Beastmode.... See ya later! and enjoy the rest of your career back with the Buffalo Bills, Because that's where we are trading you, for a 7th rd pick and a bag of Skittles!!!!!!!

BUT!!!!.... I don't think this story has much legs, I don't see Lynch being that 'type' of guy.... at least I hope not!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
So far the only person to come out an unequivocally say it's about the money is Jordan Babineaux. He said so on NFL AM and he said so on the radio, I believe. I can't imagine a guy would come out and make such straight-forward claims about talking to Lynch multiple times if there wasn't something to it. . . he would just come out looking like a liar at a time when he's doing broadcasting and trying to keep credibility. I think we can be pretty sure he'd like to get something done, even if it's just a restructure.

The GOOD news is that the hawks could do something like a 1 year extension to his current contract, put some bonus money in his pocket to make him happy, and still clear out some room on the books for next season. About the only down side to doing so would be that they would incur a dead money cap hit in 2016 if Lynch declines and doesn't play out that final year.

But really, if it is about the money like it sounds, it seems like they could get something done fairly easily. By all accounts Lynch has done a good job of saving his money so I don't think he's lookingfor a huge payday as much as he's just looking for a little love from the success the hawks have had in large part due to his play.

The issue here though is setting a precedent that players in Seattle could hold out an get new deals. We know Lynch isn't the best communicator; I think maybe as deals have gotten done Lynch has been internalizing a 'hey, wait a minute...' conflict, but is just now getting around to expressing it. He probably should have brought something up sooner and had the org. offer up such a restructure so they looked in a position of control, rather than capitulation.

TLDR:

I'm willing to bet it's about the money, the hawks can actually benefit from a restructure, i doubt such a restructure would break the bank but put bonus/guaranteed money in lynch's pocket since at the moment his contract is essentially a non-guaranteed 1 year 5m deal for all intents and purposes, but now the org is in a tough spot because they don't want to look forced into it.

My theory I'm sticking with.

I would not be surprised to see something get done, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen right away. I don't think the team is worried about Lynch not being at camp. With the punishment he takes the last thing they need to do is wear him down in practice.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Johnny":2oz2kyhr said:
BUT!!!!.... I don't think this story has much legs, I don't see Lynch being that 'type' of guy.... at least I hope not!

I don't wanna be a dick but this is the problem with your average fan. They see this happen and they wanna throw out the 'selfish' label.

whatever the numbers for lynch's contract look like on paper, in reality what he has at the moment is a non-guaranteed 1 year 5M deal. Now you can look at that and say "I wont make 5m in my life probably!". That's fine. That doesn't mean that someone else in a completely different position with a completely different potential for earning shouldn't try to leverage more if they feel it's earned.

Johnny

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3jqhtvrw said:
Johnny":3jqhtvrw said:

I don't wanna be a dick but this is the problem with your average fan. They see this happen and they wanna throw out the 'selfish' label.

whatever the numbers for lynch's contract look like on paper, in reality what he has at the moment is a non-guaranteed 1 year 5M deal. Now you can look at that and say "I wont make 5m in my life probably!". That's fine. That doesn't mean that someone else in a completely different position with a completely different potential for earning shouldn't try to leverage more if they feel it's earned.

Where did I ever say 'Selfish'?.................... Where?...

This is the problem with jerk posters they start off a post with "I don't wanna sound like a dick"...... and then start putting words in someone's mouth-or-post to make what ever point they think they are making.....

READ MY POST!!!!!

I said if this story is "TRUE" then there should be no problem with getting rid of him........ and then I said "I DON'T THINK HE'S THAT KINDA GUY"...............

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Johnny":31l39lbl said:
Hawknballs":31l39lbl said:
Johnny":31l39lbl said:

This is the problem with jerk posters they start off a post with "I don't wanna sound like a dick"...... and then start putting words in someone's mouth-or-post to make what ever point they think they are making.....

READ MY POST!!!!!

I said if this story is "TRUE" then there should be no problem with getting rid of him........ and then I said "I DON'T THINK HE'S THAT KINDA GUY"...............

Uh, everyone read your post. You implied that if he IS holding out, he must be selfish.

But even if he holds out, he's not selfish. You're just ungrateful for how he helped transform this team into a champion.

Johnny

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":iw2b3wui said:
Johnny":iw2b3wui said:
Hawknballs":iw2b3wui said:
Johnny":iw2b3wui said:

READ MY POST!!!!!

Uh, everyone read your post. You implied that if he IS holding out, he must be selfish.

But even if he holds out, he's not selfish. You're just ungrateful for how he helped transform this team into a champion.

NO!,,,,, I 'implied' if he is truly holding out...... Then SO BE IT!.... This team is bigger than one person and WE have many more players to sign to keep this Championship TEAM together and winning..... Lynch made plenty of money over the years here now it's time for the younger guys to get their do....

mjwhitay

Reaction score
I think you have to call him selfish if he is holding out for any reason. It doesn't mean that he doesn't have a right to be, but to say its not selfish is just simply factually incorrect.

He was one of the first to get a new deal. He earned it and the organization rewarded him with a very good deal for a running back. He's only half way through. I think these guys know what they have in Turbin and Michael, especially. I doubt they do much in the way of more money. They have a way they are going to run this thing and if everyone wants more money half way through their contracts, the model can never be sustained.

Its hard to believe that he walks away from $5M+, but I think the front office is going to lean towards that outcome rather than caving in to a guy getting paid top 5 at his position this season already. He has been paid very fairly the last two years and it's possible, but unlikely that he'd have earned a contract this size if Pete and John didn't rescue him from Buffalo. I think they'll let him walk away and I'd support it.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think Marshawn can hold out without being selfish. It's not like he has a career in the booth in front of him. He needs to get what he can get while the gettin's good. This is his very last shot at getting paid, brand aside.

And speaking of brand. I have no idea what kind of money 'Beastmode' generates, but the brand will definitely take a hit should he retire or even hold out. Marshawn is street smart. He will weigh everything out, then make the decision that best suits him, mentally. physically and financially. I believe he's doing that right now. I do believe there is more than smoke to this story. In fact, you can bet Babs got Lynch's approval before going to press with this.

chris98251

Reaction score
Everyone is throwing their hands in the air over a media report and bandwagon mediots jumping on it. Lynch has held himself out of OTA's before and trained away from the facility, he has no reason other than wanting an extension to hold out. He has a ring, he has team and the front offices respect. This front office doesn't discuss contracts in the media, we get our news usually from player tweets concerning contract progress. When I hear something from the front office or Lynchs camp or representation I will think it has some merit.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
chris98251":1cbllgvu said:
Everyone is throwing their hands in the air over a media report and bandwagon mediots jumping on it. Lynch has held himself out of OTA's before and trained away from the facility, he has no reason other than wanting an extension to hold out. He has a ring, he has team and the front offices respect. This front office doesn't discuss contracts in the media, we get our news usually from player tweets concerning contract progress. When I hear something from the front office or Lynchs camp or representation I will think it has some merit.

I'd almost be willing to bet something is up with Rapoport reporting it. We will know if he doesn't show for the mini camp.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I HATE the media and I HATE the salary cap(especially with the richest owner in the league)...

dutchman063

Reaction score
DavidSeven":17vx4uoh said:
Meanwhile, Marshawn just re-tweeted this:

Retweeted by Shawn Lynch
Eugene Smith ‏@edsmith84 2h
@MoneyLynch preparing for the upcoming season!!!! #BeastMode @Seahawks pic.twitter.com/zHrpZAji1w

Bp LI3XCIAAXuWY

Maybe we can ratchet down the ridiculousness now.

"preparing for upcoming season"... it doesnt say "preparing for upcoming season with the seahawks"...When you want other teams to show interest in you , you show them that you are working hard in the offseason to stay in shape. he's gone

mjwhitay

Reaction score
dutchman063":2z9qh7is said:
DavidSeven":2z9qh7is said:

Retweeted by Shawn Lynch
@MoneyLynch preparing for the upcoming season!!!! #BeastMode @Seahawks pic.twitter.com/zHrpZAji1w

Bp LI3XCIAAXuWY

"preparing for upcoming season"... it doesnt say "preparing for upcoming season with the seahawks"...When you want other teams to show interest in you , you show them that you are working hard in the offseason to stay in shape. he's gone

haha. He's not a free agent. He's under contract. They aren't releasing him or trading him. If he doesn't play for Seattle, he's not playing for anyone in 2014.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
dutchman063":cb2v3ni0 said:
DavidSeven":cb2v3ni0 said:

Retweeted by Shawn Lynch

Bp LI3XCIAAXuWY

Hes wearing a Seahawks shirt and the person who uploaded the picture even included the Seahawks twitter handle

dutchman063

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2yps0s7x said:
Momma Lynch is on 950 KJR AM right now

Thats the last thing we need to hear is family members gettin involved.. the front office will do whats right