Mariners 2022 Season

balakoth

Reaction score
Last year i didnt like Mis... still dont like him.. while people here defended him over some season stats.. bleh

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
2-2 split on the road, certainly not the end of the world. But, this team looks to be offensively challenged......yet again. Julio was on 3rd with NO OUTS and they couldn't even get him home. Pathetic.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We are 2-2 with a run differential of -8.

Dylan Bundy who was one of MLB's worst starting pitchers last year, we made him look like an ace.

We stranded all kinds of base runners this series.

Mariners are in mid season form.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
We are 2-2 with a run differential of -8.

Dylan Bundy who was one of MLB's worst starting pitchers last year, we made him look like an ace.

We stranded all kinds of base runners this series.

Mariners are in mid season form.
Servais switches up the lineup too much each game. He needs to let guys get their timing down for a few series then allow others to creep into the lineup

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I did see about how our hitters have had bad luck and most should be hitting way higher. The whole BABIP index or something like that.

Marco on the mound for home opener.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Nice write-up on Seattle Times discussing the productive start to the season of the Ms' offense -- I'll copy part of the article here:

All the numbers are backing up what you see: Mariners offense is actually really good
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...see-mariners-offense-is-actually-really-good/

By Ryan Divish April 24, 2022 at 2:58 pm Updated April 24, 2022 at 7:38 pm
Seattle Times staff reporter

The possibility of it being real starts when the actual numbers start matching the analytical projections for the feelings of optimism permeating from the Mariners clubhouse.

There will be a cold stretch because it happens in baseball, usually coinciding with the talent of the opponent’s starting pitching.

But for now, it’s OK to bask in this unfamiliar concept — the Mariners have one of the best offenses in Major League Baseball.

Yes, it’s only 15 games into the 2022 season. But the revamped lineup with a focus on improved plate discipline and better bat-to-ball skills has offered glimpses of its potential.

Coming into Sunday’s homestand finale against the Royals, the Mariners offense leads all of Major League Baseball in FanGraphs’ weighted runs created-plus (WRC+) at 132 and wins above replacement (WAR) at 4.0.

Weighted runs, what?

The metric, which is used heavily by MLB front offices, was created to measure a player or team’s total offensive value and the ability to create runs in relation to the league average. WRC+ is a version of sabermetric legend Bill James’ “runs created” metric. The league average is 100 and every point above that number means 1% above it.

Instead of using one metric, like batting average, which is now viewed by most teams as a less than comprehensive measure of offensive contribution, WRC+ is designed to provide a more encompassing number. Manager Scott Servais often refuses to discuss or shrugs off batting average when evaluating a player or a team’s offensive success.

But if you are looking for other more traditional numbers, here’s a look at where the Mariners rank in MLB coming into Sunday’s game:
  • Runs per game: 4.80 (tied for 5th)
  • Batting average: .237 (11th)
  • On-base percentage: .339 (3rd)
  • Slugging percentage: .404 (8th)
  • Home runs: 17 (4th)
  • Walk rate: 12.2% (1st)
  • Strikeout rate: 20.8% (25th)
  • Run differential: +17
These numbers have been achieved with Jesse Winker still not finding much in the way of hits, Mitch Haniger being out four games on the COVID injury list and Julio Rodriguez and Jarred Kelenic being hot-and-cold in production. But with the additions of Winker, Adam Frazier and Eugenio Suarez, the lineup has lengthened to where the bottom of the order doesn’t feel like three automatic outs.

A year ago, the Mariners were not close to this productive. They were reliant on Haniger, Ty France and Kyle Seager for most of their offense. Here is where the Mariners ranked in 2021 in the first 15 games:
  • WRC+: 93 (15th)
  • WAR: 1.1 (18th)
  • Runs per game: 3.9 (18th)
  • Batting average: .230 (17th)
  • On-base percentage: .305 (20th)
  • Slugging percentage: .351 (19th)
  • Home runs: 16 (17th)
  • Walk rate: 8.8% (18th)
  • Strikeout rate: 25.7% (10th)
  • Run differential: -5
And those numbers would get worse over the next few weeks, hitting rock bottom in mid-May.

The Mariners believe the additions to the lineup, who all have the same “control the zone” mentality, will bring more consistency 1-9.

“If you look at the best teams, they’re high up there in their day-to-day plate discipline,” France said. “Guys are OK with taking their walks. I’m very impressed with what Jesse’s doing. He’s hitting the ball well, but it’s just right at people, but he’s also got 14 to 15 walks. The good teams control the strike zone. And the deeper you go into the season and the more consistent you are with that, the more respect you get from umpires and calls start going your way. That’s what good teams do.”

With the willingness to see pitches, hit with two strikes and work walks, the Mariners grind on pitchers in each count and with a steady stream of base runners.

“I don’t think there’s an easy way out of this lineup when you’re pitching against us right now and that’s a good spot to be in top to bottom,” Winker said.

sutz

Reaction score
Two numbers that jump out to me:
  • Walk rate: 12.2% (1st)
  • Strikeout rate: 20.8% (25th)
That speaks to some good plate discipline that tells opposing pitchers that they can't easily pitch around one or two guys to find an easy out. Been nice to see all the guys on the bases, even though it can be frustrating when they leave so many on. They have been scoring runs at a pretty decent clip.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This team is not only fun to watch, I think they are a legit contender. Not just to make the playoffs. But to make it to the ALCS.
Nice to see the offense heating up.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This team is not only fun to watch, I think they are a legit contender. Not just to make the playoffs. But to make it to the ALCS.
Nice to see the offense heating up.
Offensively they will be fine. Winker will start hitting soon, Julio is slowly settling in. Not sure about Kelenic but we can afford to hit him at the end of the lineup if we have to.

The main question for me is the rotation. Ray and Gilbert, no issues there. After that it’s yet to be seen. Brash is nasty but can he put it together? Marco has been up and down since last season. We will see with Flex, his last outing was good.

At some point we will likely have an injury to the rotation. Who takes over? Sheffield? Call up Kirby? I think the team needs at least one more arm, they just need to make the move for it when the time comes.

sutz

Reaction score
Offensively they will be fine. Winker will start hitting soon, Julio is slowly settling in. Not sure about Kelenic but we can afford to hit him at the end of the lineup if we have to.

The main question for me is the rotation. Ray and Gilbert, no issues there. After that it’s yet to be seen. Brash is nasty but can he put it together? Marco has been up and down since last season. We will see with Flex, his last outing was good.

At some point we will likely have an injury to the rotation. Who takes over? Sheffield? Call up Kirby? I think the team needs at least one more arm, they just need to make the move for it when the time comes.
They've already said that Brash will not get 30 starts. They're going to "monitor" his usage, which is normal for a rookie on his first full campaign. No doubt Kirby will be called up, and probably before the roster expansion. I could see where those two guys could "split" the No 5 spot for several weeks mid to late season.

I think Sheff could handle a spot start or so, but I don't think they consider him as a long term starter any more.I think Flex will be OK, but he's more of an innings eater than a guy that's gonna get a ton or wins. I think Marco will be fine buried in the middle of the rotation. As long as he can locate his pitches, he'll be Ok. He's more of a Jamie Moyer type than a Felix type anyway.

It should be an interesting ride. Our pitching staff is in pretty good shape, but you're probably right. It's a bit thin right now and more than a single injury could be problematic.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I think they trade for a legit SP and Middle relief guy at the deadline. Just my gut.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Flex is solid in 3rd/4th spot..Marco is so up/down
it gets on my nerves.