Mariners 2022 Season

sutz

Reaction score
Nice to have baseball to look forward to again. :irishdrinkers:

sutz

Reaction score
https://www.mlb.com/news/jesse-winker-e ... o-mariners

The Mariners completed a deal with the Reds that will bring outfielder Jesse Winker and infielder Eugenio Suárez to Seattle, the clubs announced on Monday. Cincinnati will receive Justin Dunn, Brandon Williamson and Jake Fraley in return, and the Mariners will also send a player to be named later.

Winker was a first-time All-Star in 2021, slugging a career-high 24 home runs with a .305/.394/.556 batting line. The slugger Suárez went deep 31 times last year and hit 49 homers in 2019, though he struck out 189 times.

“Obviously, it’s part of the business. It’s what you sign up for. But I can’t wait to go to Seattle," Winker said of the move. "I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about that city, about the team. We’re trying to win, and I am really, really excited about that. I look forward to competing and I can’t wait to get over there.”

The move comes a day after the Reds traded Sonny Gray to the Twins, as their offseason overhaul continues.

Sounds interesting. Not one of the big names we've been hearing about, but looks like decent numbers.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":2bvtgwud said:
https://www.mlb.com/news/jesse-winker-eugenio-suarez-traded-to-mariners

The Mariners completed a deal with the Reds that will bring outfielder Jesse Winker and infielder Eugenio Suárez to Seattle, the clubs announced on Monday. Cincinnati will receive Justin Dunn, Brandon Williamson and Jake Fraley in return, and the Mariners will also send a player to be named later.

Winker was a first-time All-Star in 2021, slugging a career-high 24 home runs with a .305/.394/.556 batting line. The slugger Suárez went deep 31 times last year and hit 49 homers in 2019, though he struck out 189 times.

“Obviously, it’s part of the business. It’s what you sign up for. But I can’t wait to go to Seattle," Winker said of the move. "I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about that city, about the team. We’re trying to win, and I am really, really excited about that. I look forward to competing and I can’t wait to get over there.”

The move comes a day after the Reds traded Sonny Gray to the Twins, as their offseason overhaul continues.

Sounds interesting. Not one of the big names we've been hearing about, but looks like decent numbers.
I guess that means no Bryant or Story.

Trade doesn’t seem too bad though. We basically traded spare parts for 2 productive players.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Winker seems legit, and he's a lefty. We are going to see more men on base. Outfield is stacked.

Threedee

Reaction score
Crizilla":3mn72g2u said:
Winker seems legit, and he's a lefty. We are going to see more men on base. Outfield is stacked.

Good, we do need lefties to hit in the T.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Dipoto came out and said they are done making moves for the lineup. I kind of hope that isn’t true, but even if it is the offense should be much better than last season. Winker will be a nice upgrade in the OF, and I like the idea of having depth there as I don’t want to depend on Kyle Lewis to stay in the lineup.

Not super happy about Suarez but he is the only reason we got Winker. I would have preferred if Jerry either shopped him or got another 3B. He is basically Kyle Seager’s bat but a downgrade in the field. He’s been a major disappointment the last two seasons.

Still think we need another starting pitcher or two and maybe another guy in the bullpen. I’m aware of Jerry’s comment, but would feel better if we added another bat, either 3B, catcher or DH. They still haven’t spent what they said they were going to.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3ilk95jb said:
Dipoto came out and said they are done making moves for the lineup. I kind of hope that isn’t true, but even if it is the offense should be much better than last season. Winker will be a nice upgrade in the OF, and I like the idea of having depth there as I don’t want to depend on Kyle Lewis to stay in the lineup.

Not super happy about Suarez but he is the only reason we got Winker. I would have preferred if Jerry either shopped him or got another 3B. He is basically Kyle Seager’s bat but a downgrade in the field. He’s been a major disappointment the last two seasons.

Still think we need another starting pitcher or two and maybe another guy in the bullpen. I’m aware of Jerry’s comment, but would feel better if we added another bat, either 3B, catcher or DH. They still haven’t spent what they said they were going to.
Good trade by Jerry as they caught the reds in a salary dump situation, and he just gave up spare parts.
Its concerning though that they likely made low bid offers to the FA’s.

I don’t trust this ownership group at all. I think Stanton is full of hot air when he says they are not afraid to spend money.
They are so afraid of the bidding war it’s comical.
I don’t trust him to spend the needed funds when they need another bat or arm at the deadline in a playoff race.

A telling sign is if they give J-rod the “2021 Kelenic treatment” to delay the start of his arbitration clock.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Yes, because Kelenic showed he was so ready. :roll: :roll: They have the minor leagues for development believe it or not.

DJrmb

Reaction score
First at bat of the spring and Julio crashes a 3 run bomb! This guys going to be fun to watch whenever he's called up!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/kylemoto10/status/1504938900082466818[/tweet]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
He flat out killed that baseball. He hit that curveball 420 plus. I know it’s just spring training and his first AB of spring training, but the M’s FO/Ownership better not play arbitration clock games with this kid. He is going to be a superstar from day 1.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Hopefully the new rule in the CBA combats that service time manipulation. If they do play that game and Julio ends up voted as one of the top two for rookie of the year, he still gets a full year of service... So all they did was screw themselves in that scenario.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DJrmb":fo7glb8n said:
Hopefully the new rule in the CBA combats that service time manipulation. If they do play that game and Julio ends up voted as one of the top two for rookie of the year, he still gets a full year of service... So all they did was screw themselves in that scenario.
You’d think that would be a deterrent, but this is the Seattle Mariners we are talking about.
I hope it is a deterrent.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Springer, Greinke, now Correa out of the AL West....could the M's actually win the division now?

sutz

Reaction score
Crizilla":29a63jxv said:
Springer, Greinke, now Correa out of the AL West....could the M's actually win the division now?
Yeah, a lot of AL hitters gravitating to the new NL DH teams. :)

We didn't add a ton of talent, but I think they're hoping JK will come into his own this year. I think our Offense might be pretty decent. I guess we could use another arm, but we also have a couple of young guys either almost ready for prime time in the minors or coming off injuries.

Looking forward to this year. The first couple of months might be dicey because of the short spring, but if Servais is careful with the pitchers, we should be a contender.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The more I look into this off season the more I don’t like it.

We didn’t spend like the front office said we would. We were suppose to be in on all these big name guys, Bryant, Story, possibly even Correa. And nothing.

Sure we are improved with Winker, Ray and Frazier, but there are still issues. We have no #5 starter. What if last year was a fluke for Flexen? Marco was pretty bad last year, he could improve, but he could also stay the same. While Torro started out hot, he really cooled off in the second half, he hit under .200 in September and October. Suarez is not an upgrade over Seager. While JP has great defense he offers very little to no power on offense. And who knows with the bullpen. They probably won’t be as good as last year, but hopefully they will still be pretty good. Bullpen is about as unpredictable as it gets every season.

We are really banking on the young kids to come through. Kelenic, Julio, Gilbert and whoever else we call up.

I think if you are expecting 90+ wins and the playoffs there is a decent chance you will be disappointed.

My point is there is a lot of unpredictability in baseball. The front office can reduce that by adding better players and spending money. They haven’t really shown us that yet.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3owjw4v5 said:
The more I look into this off season the more I don’t like it.

We didn’t spend like the front office said we would. We were suppose to be in on all these big name guys, Bryant, Story, possibly even Correa. And nothing.

Sure we are improved with Winker, Ray and Frazier, but there are still issues. We have no #5 starter. What if last year was a fluke for Flexen? Marco was pretty bad last year, he could improve, but he could also stay the same. While Torro started out hot, he really cooled off in the second half, he hit under .200 in September and October. Suarez is not an upgrade over Seager. While JP has great defense he offers very little to no power on offense. And who knows with the bullpen. They probably won’t be as good as last year, but hopefully they will still be pretty good. Bullpen is about as unpredictable as it gets every season.

We are really banking on the young kids to come through. Kelenic, Julio, Gilbert and whoever else we call up.

I think if you are expecting 90+ wins and the playoffs there is a decent chance you will be disappointed.

My point is there is a lot of unpredictability in baseball. The front office can reduce that by adding better players and spending money. They haven’t really shown us that yet.
I agree with you on the not spending the big $$$ after saying they’d be big spenders in FA.
The Cincy trade filled 2 positions of need, and if Julio likely starts the season in Seattle they have a real solid lineup minus the catcher position.

They have some young great arms that are almost ready, I expect either Kirby or Brash who both touch 100 on the radar gun, to win the 5th spot.

What I’m most concerned about is, I’m not convinced they will spend $$$ on an arm or bat at the deadline if someone in the lineup isn’t producing of injuries happen. I don’t trust this ownership group much, I don’t trust Stanton, the Mather leaked speech last year at the rotary club exposed ownerships mindset.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I said on Twitter, that I believe Rodriguez will be the starting center fielder for game number one for the mariners. I just have a feeling like hes gonna be a superstar.