Mafe

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I really like the potential that Mafe brings to the team. I have never thought of his potential as that of someone who should be guarding Deondray Hopkins!🤦🏻

JPatera76

Reaction score
I try and wonder why divisional games..... is when Pete chooses to be cute. lol

balakoth

Reaction score
Called a time out to call that play... Good ol Seahawks :LP

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
If Mafe does not show significant improvement in 2023, was it a mistake drafting him in the second round?

GGotskill

Reaction score
If Mafe does not show significant improvement in 2023, was it a mistake drafting him in the second round?

Always amazes me how quickly fans write off players.
Mafe had a decent rookie season at a difficult position.

Also, might get a better response actually posting this in the main forum instead of the game day forum (on a post from last season). It helps to check the dates and forum before responding.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Sorry, I posted wrong place. I only mentioned this because a guy on the Bears forum was telling me that second round was too high to take him. I believe it’s too soon to say, but he needs to show more to justify his draft position. That was the question.

bileever

Reaction score
Mafe had a solid rookie year: 3 starts, 3 sacks, 3 TFL, 4 QB hits. He played a total of 452 snaps, which is about 26 per game. Actually graded higher against the run than as a pass rusher. Definitely would like to see him step up his game this year. Playing with a stronger front line will hopefully make a difference and make everyone better.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Mafe had a solid rookie year: 3 starts, 3 sacks, 3 TFL, 4 QB hits. He played a total of 452 snaps, which is about 26 per game. Actually graded higher against the run than as a pass rusher. Definitely would like to see him step up his game this year. Playing with a stronger front line will hopefully make a difference and make everyone better.
Okay, so what is a realistic expectation for him this year? He should nearly double those pass rush stats to deserve a second round draft position. No?

bileever

Reaction score
Okay, so what is a realistic expectation for him this year? He should nearly double those pass rush stats to deserve a second round draft position. No?
I'll give you a comparison. Haasan Reddick (a first round pick) in his rookie year had 3 starts, 2.5 sacks, 6 QB hits and 4 TFLs, compared to Mafe's 3 starts, 3 sacks, 4 QB hits and 3 TFLs. Very comparable, no?

Year 2, Reddick didn't do much better, with 4 sacks, 6 QB hits and 8 TFLs. Year 3 was worse, with only 1 sack. But by years 4, 5 and 6, he had 12, 11 and 16 sacks.

Leonard Floyd, also a first round pick, didn't become productive until year 5.

So answering your question is a tough one. As much as we would like to see him have a breakout year, even a similar year to last doesn't mean that he's a bust or a wasted second round pick.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I'll give you a comparison. Haasan Reddick (a first round pick) in his rookie year had 3 starts, 2.5 sacks, 6 QB hits and 4 TFLs, compared to Mafe's 3 starts, 3 sacks, 4 QB hits and 3 TFLs. Very comparable, no?

Year 2, Reddick didn't do much better, with 4 sacks, 6 QB hits and 8 TFLs. Year 3 was worse, with only 1 sack. But by years 4, 5 and 6, he had 12, 11 and 16 sacks.

Leonard Floyd, also a first round pick, didn't become productive until year 5.

So answering your question is a tough one. As much as we would like to see him have a breakout year, even a similar year to last doesn't mean that he's a bust or a wasted second round pick.
Your examples of Floyd and Reddick illustrate how getting better teammates raises productivity. Maybe that’s what will happen.

bileever

Reaction score
Your examples of Floyd and Reddick illustrate how getting better teammates raises productivity. Maybe that’s what will happen.
That's true, Reddick had 16 sacks last year playing on the Eagles with Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, Ndamakong Suh and Javon Hargrave. And Floyd really blossomed once he played on the same line with Aaron Donald. Floyd had 4.5, 4, and 3 sacks the 3 years before moving on to the Rams and getting 10.5, 9.5 and 9 with the Rams.

But maybe part of it is just developmental. Reddick did have 12.5 sacks in his last year with the Cardinals (after 3 years of little or no production), and then 11 with the Panthers before moving on to the Eagles.

@Bear-Hawk: so what's your expectations of what you'd like to see from Mafe this year?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Mafe's pre-draft profile lists Rashan Gary as a comp (not too shabby) and includes a best-guess Round 1-2 grade (he was) with a projection of "will eventually be Plus Starter".

I'd say that he's on track.

Latest posts