Lower Leg Fracture

GeekHawk

Reaction score
2_0_6":tva3cw7l said:
Same leg he broke before..... makes me wonder if this is strictly coincidence or something more telling.

It could be possible that the Hawks knew his leg would not hold up for the long term so that's why an extension was never struck.

Sure are a lot of bone doctors around here. Have you ever broken a bone? Do you know anything about how they heal? Didn't think so.

I've broken more parts than you can imagine over the years, so I know a bit about how it works. I've seen all kinds of crap-talk in this thread. First, after a bone heals it's stronger than before. Second, no amount of un-skipped practices will magically make your bones more unbreakable. Third (the rest of this post is not directed at you, but others in this thread and other threads), if you've never been seriously injured then you have no frickin' idea what emotions are felt in the moment. How dare you talk about how damn "classless" somebody is when they just got a nasty injury?!? All you people moaning about a finger today need to just sit down and shut up, and we'll let you know when you get to talk. Because at the moment you are adding nothing to the collective intelligence of Seahawks dot net with your dumb-ass drivel.

BigMeach

Reaction score
FinNasty":z9gbqgut said:
Scorpion05":z9gbqgut said:
On the one hand, it shows why he held out. Trying to secure and guarantee his future and a future for his family. On the other hand, it shows why the NFL is a cut throat business

It’s a 2 way street though. You can’t demand loyalty from players and then play the cut throat side of the business on the other side...

What do you mean? This happens every day in the nfl. Who has the power in business? The business owner. Who can demand loyalty? The business owner.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Whatever happened to Dr. Diags? Is he still around anymore? I seem to remember him giving accurate opinions regarding player injuries.

AgentDib

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":9athl1gd said:
If your job had a salary cap and you know you have been more productive than your coworker but your coworker is making more than you, and when it came down for you to get paid but people are telling you, you're selfish for wanting so much, you wouldn't give a bleep what other people think, you deserve to be compensated for what you have done/will do.
One of the interesting things about value is that it isn't intrinsic but only exists in the perception of others. My hand made portrait of Mack Strong may have taken 10,000 hours to paint but if nobody is willing to pay me a dime for it then it is still worth $0. Secondly, what somebody may have done is only important in so far as it affects your forecast of what they will do in the future.

In the case of a contract extension the perception of the Seahawks FO is of exactly the same importance as Earl's perception of his own value. It takes both sides to reach an agreement and there's no way of knowing how far apart their own perceptions were. Earl could very well have had his extension if he wasn't looking to set a new high watermark for safety contracts, and from his perceptive with $58 million in the bank he may be more willing to walk away if he feels the offer isn't as good as it should be. Neither party is "wronged" in the exchange or lack thereof and it's simply wrong on Earl's part to feel that he was owed an extension at the exact price he wanted.

peppersjap

Reaction score
The players are correct that they are playing at risk with out the guaranteed money but who is to blame for that? The answer would be them! There union sucks and they continually give into the owners because they are not willing to sit out on strike. I have a feeling a strike will be coming soon but they need to quit complaining about how management treats them when they are not willing to take a stand.

So entertaining recently seeing where Eric Dickerson (who was my favorite player growing up) has decided to push for a $300,000 annual salary for all Hall of famers. he doesn't seem to want anything for those guys that blocked for him though? By the way, during the lock out Dickerson was a scab and crossed the picket line but then refused to play because he might get hurt playing behind a bunch of scab linemen!

peppersjap

Reaction score
The players are correct that they are playing at risk with out the guaranteed money but who is to blame for that? The answer would be them! There union sucks and they continually give into the owners because they are not willing to sit out on strike. I have a feeling a strike will be coming soon but they need to quit complaining about how management treats them when they are not willing to take a stand.

So entertaining recently seeing where Eric Dickerson (who was my favorite player growing up) has decided to push for a $300,000 annual salary for all Hall of famers. he doesn't seem to want anything for those guys that blocked for him though? By the way, during the lock out Dickerson was a scab and crossed the picket line but then refused to play because he might get hurt playing behind a bunch of scab linemen!

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
Quote:

"If your job had a salary cap and you know you have been more productive than your coworker but your coworker is making more than you, and when it came down for you to get paid but people are telling you, you're selfish for wanting so much, you wouldn't give a bleep what other people think, you deserve to be compensated for what you have done/will do.[/quote]

In the 'regular workplace, being paid less than your mediocre co-workers happens a lot. Especially if you're female.

It's a constant negotiation with management and owners for pay, benefits, conditions, etc.

But, this isn't the regular work[place where there's secrecy about salaries and contracts. Most know what others are receiving and use that as a measure for what they want.

The flip side is that the general public also knows and players can be perceived as ungrateful and not based in reality.

Sure, they put their bodies on the line and their careers (in football) are short.

However, they have a job they're passionate about and they make great money. The kind of money that most of us will never see if we added the yearly salaries of our entire working lives.

I love Earl and appreciate his participation in our winning years, but he signed a contract. He should honor it. As others have said, it's a business.

When he flipped off the Seahawks sideline, he disrespected all of us.

OpHawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3ojerw3w said:
2_0_6":3ojerw3w said:
Same leg he broke before..... makes me wonder if this is strictly coincidence or something more telling.

It could be possible that the Hawks knew his leg would not hold up for the long term so that's why an extension was never struck.

Sure are a lot of bone doctors around here. Have you ever broken a bone? Do you know anything about how they heal? Didn't think so.

I've broken more parts than you can imagine over the years, so I know a bit about how it works. I've seen all kinds of crap-talk in this thread. First, after a bone heals it's stronger than before. Second, no amount of un-skipped practices will magically make your bones more unbreakable. Third (the rest of this post is not directed at you, but others in this thread and other threads), if you've never been seriously injured then you have no frickin' idea what emotions are felt in the moment. How dare you talk about how damn "classless" somebody is when they just got a nasty injury?!? All you people moaning about a finger today need to just sit down and shut up, and we'll let you know when you get to talk. Because at the moment you are adding nothing to the collective intelligence of Seahawks dot net with your dumb-ass drivel.

Glad to hear from our very own bone doctor/trauma psychiatrist.

And yes, that was a classless move by Earl today. Showed his true colors.

Cowboynation

Reaction score
Not for nothing but this guy was a major reason the Seahawks even won a Super Bowl. You never know when the next one will happen. He did his best to make as much money he could this past off-season using the only successful methods available when you are still under contract. Hopefully, you guys realize deep down that he is trashing the Seahawks' front office not the fans or his actual teammates.

This was the worst outcome for both the Seahawks and ET though. He will likely get a much smaller one year deal, and the Seahawks get jack shiite in return. I'm thankful that the Cowboys could not make the trade. I didn't want any expensive investment in a season destined for crap or mediocrity.

AgentDib

Reaction score
peppersjap":81c6bcqi said:
The players are correct that they are playing at risk with out the guaranteed money but who is to blame for that? The answer would be them! There union sucks and they continually give into the owners because they are not willing to sit out on strike.
Everybody wants to compare to different sports but the injury rate in the NFL is just a lot higher. A player is worth $X if healthy for 16 games and $Y<$X if healthy for a more typical number. In return, the player could take $Y and have the whole thing fully guaranteed, or $X and have it partially guaranteed. Most NFL players chose to take $X and that's not a failure in collective bargaining but an intrinsic factor of life when one player ends up on IR for every game played.

Making all contracts fully guaranteed ($Y) is entirely possible but it just means the players are making less nominally. If Russ wanted a fully guaranteed extension he could have one next off-season if he picked the right number ($19m per?).

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Quote from Bobby Wagner on Earl’s gesture - Wagner said he didn't think anything of Thomas' gesture and referenced how his teammate floated the idea of retirement after his 2016 broken leg while making the point that players sometimes act emotionally.

"I think we play a very, very emotional game, and I think sometimes you've got to allow people to have their emotions, have their feelings," Wagner said. "Last time he got hurt like this, he retired, and obviously he didn't retire. So you've got to let guys have their emotions. I don't think nothing of it. I think he has a long road ahead of him if it's the injury that he suspects. We're going to have his back and we're going to support him and we're going to be here for him."

Here’s link to the full article - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24852699/earl-thomas-seattle-seahawks-carted-off

2_0_6

Reaction score
GeekHawk":288e4lhe said:
2_0_6":288e4lhe said:

Sure are a lot of bone doctors around here. Have you ever broken a bone? Do you know anything about how they heal? Didn't think so..

Yes actually, I have broken 14 bones in my lifetime ranging from fingers/toes, ribs, ankle, wrist, arm, and dislocations of my shoulder three times which on the last time also included a slap tear of my labrum and a torn rotator cuff. I have seen more than my fair share of injuries, and thanks for the lackluster effort by you to make assumptions about me, but I do know how they heal. Some of my breaks have been fairly bad, and others minor, but nothing like the one he had in the Panthers game. Hell 5 minutes after he was initially injured he Tweeted out talking about retirement. That in itself should tell you he knew it was bad.

He's aging, it's a violent sport, and these guys know if they don't suit up and gut through pain they wont get another deal so rushing themselves back to early or playing when they shouldnt happens. Comparing your past experiences and how quickly you healed to the type of constant wear and tear an NFL player takes over 10 months out of the year with the never ending training is comical.

Carry on. :lol:

OxwUJmR

The Breh

Reaction score
I used to take offense when people bashed Hawks fans. But FB and this here site has given me a lot of perspective as to why they talked about us the way they did.
A bunch of entitled folks who think they have the right to judge people based on the decisions they make in a career they've worked their whole life getting to.
I would have a serious problem being in the same room with a major percentage of the "fans" from both here and FB. There's no point in engaging with those whose minds are unable to see things from another viewpoint.
That goes for various topics. Certainly about the departed players not afraid to voice displeasure over everything over the recent years.
If this offends you, it's probably for you.
First, I'm not for, or against holding out. I'm for the players doing what's best for themselves.
Sadly, we now see why both parties held true to their stances.
And one of the best players in our teams history has a future in jeapordy and lost a ton of money he'd get from somebody. And a lot of people personally offended by a middle finger that wasn't intended for them.
I respect the shit out of Earl and wish him the speediest of recoveries. I also hope he gets to finish his career on his terms. He's earned it.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
If Thomas had taken what the Seahawks were giving on an extension he'd be in a much better position right now. There's a pretty good chance he's not going to get the sweet deal he wanted this offseason, either. Even though it seems like an injury that can be fully recovered from, there will likely still be enough questions that he doesn't see superstar safety money like he was going for.

He gambled and now he's eating a lot of the risk.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
GeekHawk":cjn9g5u1 said:
2_0_6":cjn9g5u1 said:

Sorry but your last part has no merit since Earl has already shown no class prior to the injury...the Dallas incident...the tweets...the no show for practice. This was his parting shot and yes I am sure he was emotional. This isnt how a supposed team leader handles situations like this. Others have been in his exact situation but I cant think of anyone that did what he did. He had all the talent in the world but in the end he showed his true colors.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well they expect a full recovery, Earl isn't going to help us this season, if your John do you go and see him and have a contract offer that is competitive ? Earl wants to know he is appreciated and respected, he never let any of this show up game day. Earl would have a offer in hand before anyone else can approach him, you let him play his cards after that but at the minimum you still show your value for him and the desire for him to finish his career a Seahawk.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
BleuEyedHawk":1hpl9l5q said:
Quote:

"If your job had a salary cap and you know you have been more productive than your coworker but your coworker is making more than you, and when it came down for you to get paid but people are telling you, you're selfish for wanting so much, you wouldn't give a bleep what other people think, you deserve to be compensated for what you have done/will do.

In the 'regular workplace, being paid less than your mediocre co-workers happens a lot. Especially if you're female.

This isn't actually true or even backed by any kind of statistical research. In fact there are a number of variables that lead to a variance in pay among male and female coworkers including hours worked and the willingness to negotiate for higher pay. I wish people would stop peddling this idea as if it were pragmatic fact. It's been disproven multiple times and yet it seems to still be a rallying point for some.

I agree with most of your other points, outside of disagreeing with this first example.

This isn't actually the point either, as someone else said an employer owes nothing to an employee based on their perceived worth, just look at any other business. The problem today is that we have these spoiled selfish athletes who weren't put on their ass enough as children and so they think the world owes them. Nah, it doesn't and never will. The earlier you learn this the better, and this coming from a fellow millennial. This also relates to coaching people the "right way" in my opinion letting your players run the team instead of yourself as a coach causes this toxicity. Pete may be a good coach in some areas but he is glaringly deficient in some as well, but he doesn't see it or refuses to see it because of his inflated ego.

Anyway, his style coaching got us a super bowl but it's not sustainable in the long run anyway imo. Which is why he was so good in college.

I also think Earl may have some psychological issues, based on his abhorrent behavior and lack of pragmaticism surrounding this issue. The world doesn't owe you child. I'm sorry you only make 8 million a year.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
chris98251":38ieegbv said:
Well they expect a full recovery, Earl isn't going to help us this season, if your John do you go and see him and have a contract offer that is competitive ? Earl wants to know he is appreciated and respected, he never let any of this show up game day. Earl would have a offer in hand before anyone else can approach him, you let him play his cards after that but at the minimum you still show your value for him and the desire for him to finish his career a Seahawk.

No you let him leave. He made his feelings known, if he really wanted to be a part of the team he wouldn't have behaved the way he did. Keeping him here prolongs the toxicity that has surrounded this team for now 3 full years. I also think this is why it's time for Pete to call it quits but I guess we will just have to see how things play out.

I don't necessarily group JS in with Pete in this sense either. I think we could keep JS around and just replace the coach.

Just my take.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Earl was primarily holding out to be traded. His current contract was $58 million for 6 years. He probably asked for more, but what he really wanted was to go back to Texas.

The top NFL safety contract belongs to Eric Berry who is getting $78 million over 6 years. So Berry earns a little more per year ($13M vs. $10M), but Earl's deal is still one of the highest for his position.

sutz

Reaction score
Tusc2000":2yj0ola4 said:
Earl was primarily holding out to be traded. His current contract was $58 million for 6 years. He probably asked for more, but what he really wanted was to go back to Texas.

The top NFL safety contract belongs to Eric Berry who is getting $78 million over 6 years. So Berry earns a little more per year ($13M vs. $10M), but Earl's deal is still one of the highest for his position.
Everybody's deal gets surpassed, usually within a single season. Nobody stays "highest paid" for very long.

Latest posts