Loss totally on Scott Servais

Rainger

Reaction score
That decision to bring in Ray who had given up home runs in the second game to the Jays was a monumental F up. BRING THE DAMN CLOSER YOU MORON!!!

omg that one stupid decision could now lead to the Mariners not getting past the Astros. The Astros have the M's number and the M's could have been up 2 0 going back to Seattle. BUT NO Servais shit the bed!!!

Has he been paid off???? As my wife says smart men don't make stupid decisions!

Last edited:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I actually don't put the loss on Ray. I think going into the series, Scott was set on using Ray in high leverage situations against Alvarez and Tucker. He is the go to lefty in the pen.

I think Scott is at more fault for using Sewald. The guy was awful against Toronto, and was not very good down the stretch of the season.

It's easy to look back and say I would have done this and that. But if it were me, I would have used Swanson in the 8th, and used Munoz in the 9th against the top of the order. Easier said than done, but I don't think Sewald can be counted on anymore. You just can't walk the #9 pinch hitter. That's a big no.

ryank24

Reaction score
The only reason we were able to have that epic comeback from 7 points down on Saturday against the Blue Jays, is because Sewald and Ray pitched like shit and gave up so many runs to put us in that position in the first place. And those are the 2 guys you count on in the 9th today? And with Robbie's known struggles against the Astros? Frustrating. Can't give away a game like that against that team, especially when you get to their best pitcher early. Gonna be an incredible mountain to climb to get past them at this point.

Chapow

Reaction score
That decision to bring in Ray who had given up home runs in the second game to the Jays was a monumental F up. BRING THE DAMN CLOSER YOU MORON!!!

And who would that be? Because Sewald has by far the most saves on the team, and he was already in there not getting the job done. Sewald needed to get the #8 and #9 hitters out and then 1 of either Altuve or Pena, and he didn't do it. He was blowing it and a change needed to be made.

Now, as I've already said, I was shocked he went to Ray there, and I agree that it was a horrible decision. I have no idea why he did that, but he needed to do something because our closer (or the closest thing we have to a closer) wasn't getting it done.

omg that one stupid decision could now lead to the Mariners not getting past the Astros. The Astros have the M's number and the M's could have been up 2 0 going back to Seattle. BUT NO Servais shit the bed!!!

Munoz, Sewald, and Ray also shit the bed. It's not all on Servais. A manager has to be able to trust that his players are going to get the job done, and they didn't. Unfortunately, our once dominant pen, well, hasn't been so dominant lately.

If Munoz doesn't give up 2 runs in the 8th, we probably win.
If Sewald can get the #8 and #9 hitters out in the 9th, we probably win, and there wouldn't have been a need to bring in someone else.
Yeah, Ray never should've been in there in the first place, but he is the reigning AL Cy Young award winner and he was asked to get 1 frickin out and he couldn't do it.

A hell of a lot more led to losing this game than that 1 decision.

Has he been paid off????

Look, I get it, passions are running high... but this is just straight up retarded.

As my wife says smart men don't make stupid decisions!

That's a pretty silly and inaccurate saying. Literally everyone makes stupid decisions sometimes no matter how smart they are. It's part of being a human being. Everyone makes mistakes.

Chapow

Reaction score
Debate team or a lawyer??? Need to have a rebuttal to every sentence? No I don't want another answer from you.

Oh, my bad. Usually when people start a new thread it's because they want to have a conversation. Especially when they respond to posts in other threads with a link to the new thread they just created. But I guess you just wanted call attention to your little tantrum, but not actually have any sort of discussion? Okie dokie ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Crizilla

Reaction score
SS said after game going into the series thats where they were at and that they kind of planned on using Ray in that situation. Ok so it wasn't a spur in the moment thing. Still is a dumb idea. All season they rode their BP but now they are bringing in starters to close games? What's the plan for next game? bring in Marco to close things out? What is this. The Kirby situation was a unique one it made sense there. But tonight that was not what got them here. How does Gilbert get pulled after 85 pitches? BURN OUT YOUR FREAKING STARTERS ITS THE FREAKING PLAYOFFS , AND RIDE THE BOMBEROS YOUVE DONE THAT ALL FREAKING YEAR. SS LITERALLY JUST DID WHAT THE BLUEJAYS MANAGER DID AGAINST THE M'S

Last edited:

Crizilla

Reaction score
Cole with NYY today 101 pitches. Props to Boone for letting his starter do his job. I feel bad for Logan.

cymatica

Reaction score
Astros manager "put the trash can away, they are putting Ray in"

Seriously though, I wouldn't count the M's out. If they fold after a 1 run loss where they took it to the Astros all game, then they don't deserve to advance. If they can put this game behind them and get a win in Houston, then look out.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
From CBS sports:

Reasons to not bring in Ray​

1. He is a starter. Starting pitchers are used to longer, more drawn-out warmups. All players are creatures of habit anyway, so it's always risky to bring a starter in relief. Some handle it well, but you never know until you try it. Ray has only appeared in relief four times in his entire career, with three of them coming his rookie year in 2014 and one coming in 2020. That's it.

2. He gives up lots of home runs. Ray finished second in the AL in home runs allowed this season with 32. Even last year, when he won the Cy Young, he was fourth with 33 allowed. Alvarez is one of the best power hitters in baseball and exactly one play beats you: A home run.

3. He hasn't thrown well lately. Ray had a 5.27 ERA with eight home runs allowed in 27 1/3 innings in his last five regular-season starts. He then coughed up four runs on six hits, including two home runs, in three innings in Game 2 of the Wild Card Series.

4. The Astros have owned him. Ray made three starts against the Astros this season. He gave up 23 hits and 13 earned runs in 10 2/3 innings (10.97 ERA, 2.81 WHIP). Astros hitters slashed .442/.509/.865 against him. Small sample? I guess. Nothing really lines up as encouraging here, though.

5. He's a fastball guy. Ray throws fastballs nearly 40 percent of the time. That's his most frequent offering. Alvarez was the second-most valuable hitter against fastballs this season (behind Judge, unsurprisingly), hitting .355 with a .752 slugging against the heater. The homer came on a sinker, but I'm just talking about the thought process to bring Ray in.

Just on the surface, I've got five pretty good reasons to not use Ray when there was one reason -- albeit a flimsy one -- to use him. It was a no-brainer to avoid pulling the trigger on the move.

"We talked about it coming into the series," Mariners manager Scott Servais said after the game. "We talked about it pregame today. I looked at it in the seventh inning and said, 'hey, this could happen.' So that was the plan going in. End of the day, you have a plan, we still got to execute it."

It's true. It was the plan and they needed to execute the plan better. But it's also pretty easy to argue it was a bad plan.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
SS said after game going into the series thats where they were at and that they kind of planned on using Ray in that situation. Ok so it wasn't a spur in the moment thing. Still is a dumb idea. All season they rode their BP but now they are bringing in starters to close games? What's the plan for next game? bring in Marco to close things out? What is this. The Kirby situation was a unique one it made sense there. But tonight that was not what got them here. How does Gilbert get pulled after 85 pitches? BURN OUT YOUR FREAKING STARTERS ITS THE FREAKING PLAYOFFS , AND RIDE THE BOMBEROS YOUVE DONE THAT ALL FREAKING YEAR. SS LITERALLY JUST DID WHAT THE BLUEJAYS MANAGER DID AGAINST THE M'S
Have Munoz and Sewald do there job and nobody is discussing this.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
Have Munoz and Sewald do there job and nobody is discussing this.
Bullshit total bullshit, the whole thing of the game is when a particular player is not or is on their game for the manager to know when to STAY with someone and to know when to pull them.

Gilbert should NEVER been pulled when he was. You could see as he sat in the dugout how mad he was.

If not then you bring in sewald before Munoz. NEVER even had to get to the Ray decision.

SS had already made up his mind BEFORE THE GAME that he was bringing Ray in the ninth, to get his confidence back after the disaster in TO. Worst decision in many many years. The worst managing decision made by SS.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Bullshit total bullshit, the whole thing of the game is when a particular player is not or is on their game for the manager to know when to STAY with someone and to know when to pull them.

Gilbert should NEVER been pulled when he was. You could see as he sat in the dugout how mad he was.

If not then you bring in sewald before Munoz. NEVER even had to get to the Ray decision.

SS had already made up his mind BEFORE THE GAME that he was bringing Ray in the ninth, to get his confidence back after the disaster in TO. Worst decision in many many years. The worst managing decision made by SS.
Well your wrong. And players need to do there job. Its ok. You want to blame Scott. Do you.

Latest posts