Lock Looked Pretty Good

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'd like to see Lock playing the first 3+ qtrs next Saturday vs Packers. No need to throw Geno out there. Ahlers can play whatever is left after Lock comes out.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
Lock is playing himself into a starting role here once Geno is finished.

If he has a consistent scheme to play within and coaches to groom him, I think he will be ok. I don't think he will ever have the smarts of a Rodgers or Brady, but I think his ceiling is close to what Geno was showing at his best last year. And Lock has more raw talent.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score

If he has a consistent scheme to play within and coaches to groom him, I think he will be ok. I don't think he will ever have the smarts of a Rodgers or Brady, but I think his ceiling is close to what Geno was showing at his best last year. And Lock has more raw talent.
Assuming he continues this string of quality play against Green Bay, I think he's gone after this season. Someone will roll the dice with him as their starter and I don't see Lock turning down a chance to start to return as our backup. As far as trading him, unless someone makes a ridiculous offer (like a first round pick) I don't see PC trading Lock. It would mean the end of the season if Geno is hurt.

keasley45

Reaction score
The thing Lock had missed most prior to coming here was stability, consistency, and chemistry with his coaching staff. He was already a starter without those things and he failed. I dont think the chance to start again elsewhere sooner will trump him having the opportunity to start here later if he has the ideal situation.

RiverDog

Reaction score

I disagree. IMO the only way Lock gets another start, whether it be here or with another team, is if a starter gets injured. His career is following a path similar to Geno's, who was benched in 2014 and didn't get another start until 2021 when an injury to the starter gave him an opportunity. Smith played for 4 teams before finally getting the starting gig here, and even that was due to the long time starter getting traded.

Starting jobs for NFL quarterbacks are a very rare commodity, and Lock has had two clean shots at winning one with two different teams. Like Smith, he now has a negative track record that's going to work against him. He had his chance and blew it.

keasley45

Reaction score
I disagree. IMO the only way Lock gets another start, whether it be here or with another team, is if a starter gets injured. His career is following a path similar to Geno's, who was benched in 2014 and didn't get another start until 2021 when an injury to the starter gave him an opportunity. Smith played for 4 teams before finally getting the starting gig here, and even that was due to the long time starter getting traded.

Starting jobs for NFL quarterbacks are a very rare commodity, and Lock has had two clean shots at winning one with two different teams. Like Smith, he now has a negative track record that's going to work against him. He had his chance and blew it.
I think Pete Carroll would disagree with you.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Thank God he won't be here long term because Drew Lock isn't a starting quarterback at this point no matter what kind of koolaid Pete is trying to get everyone to drink. Solid backup yes and someone that can win you a couple games in an emergency yes but starter no not currently.

keasley45

Reaction score
Thank God he won't be here long term because Drew Lock isn't a starting quarterback at this point no matter what kind of koolaid Pete is trying to get everyone to drink.
Im not 100% sold on him yet either. But his processing and touch is leaps and bounds better than it was last year. if that trend continues, i dont see why he couldnt be a starter.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I think Pete Carroll would disagree with you.
I'm with @MizzouHawkGal on this one. I don't care how much smoke Pete Carroll blows, Drew Lock is not a starting quality NFL quarterback. That doesn't mean he'll never get another start, only that if it does happen, it will be by default and not the first option for us or any other team.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Im not 100% sold on him yet either. But his processing and touch is leaps and bounds better than it was last year. if that trend continues, i dont see why he couldnt be a starter.
It isn't about his improved abilities. Teams would rather take a chance on an unproven rookie, say like Will Levis, and give him a chance than they would waste a precious opportunity on a 5-year veteran who has already had multiple chances to prove himself and failed.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It isn't about his improved abilities. Teams would rather take a chance on an unproven rookie, say like Will Levis, and give him a chance than they would waste a precious opportunity on a 5-year veteran who has already had multiple chances to prove himself and failed.
Pretty much this. And the result of him starting had him pretty much league average at best both times.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
With quarterbacks league average doesn't work out because too much money is involved in the position so anything less then top 10 is pretty much unacceptable for any team that's serious about making the playoffs and having any kind of degree of actual success once there.

keasley45

Reaction score
We shall see. Folks were eqaually as down on Geno before he ressurected his career.

Im not saying Lock will ever be a franchise guy. Just saying that he is just now getting the coaching and consistency he needed to flourish. Prior to being here, he was in Denver. Denver. When was the last time that franchise developed a quality starter? You'd have to go back to Mike Shanahan and Dan Reeves. THAT was the crap machine Lock wasted his first three years in. No one came out of there ready to do anything but move on to their post football careers or at best, become a perennial backup. That he landed on a team where Qbs go to die wasnt his fault.

I'm not closing the door on him yet. I mean in Seattle, Trent Dilfer went from perennial laughing stock to 'who the hell is that throwing the ball for Holmgren's offense?' overnight. Unfortunately for him, Hass was ready and waiting to take his spot when he blew out his knee and achilles. His first year here he bested his career rating by almost 20 points. And how many years had he looked like hot garbage before that happened? To what did he credit his success here in Seattle? coaching, chemistry.

I think if most had not known who it was who was qb'ing saturday night, or had the name on the jersey belonged to someone wothout Lock's bagage, his perforance would have been seen with a glass half full perspective.

Put another way, the Carolina fans would be over cloud 9 right now if their coveted QBOTF had given the performance drew did on saturday. the media would have been swooning over him, with declarations of how gifted he is.

There is such a thing as a reset. Hopefully Lock has found his, whether he ends up here or not. Pulling for the dude.

RiverDog

Reaction score
We shall see. Folks were eqaually as down on Geno before he ressurected his career.
And how was it that Geno resurrected his career? He got lucky. He was considered a backup and bounced around 4 teams until the starter in his last team got traded with no viable quarterback in the stable and a poor QB draft class to choose from.

That's what Lock is looking at. He doesn't have control over his destiny. As Tom Brady would tell you, so much of this game, particularly at the QB position, is dependent on being in the right place at the right time.

bileever

Reaction score
I think Lock might get another shot, even next year. @RiverDog said that starting QB jobs are a rare commodity, but I see it the other way--starting caliber QBs are the rare commodity. I suspect that jobs will open up in a number of places next year, in Washington, Atlanta, Tennessee, Houston, and maybe in Green Bay and New York. In the last couple of years, players like Marcus Mariota, Teddy Bridgewater, Andy Dalton, Davis Mills, Sam Darnold, Carson Wentz and Taylor Heinecke have all been starting QBs. You don't think that someone might think that Drew Lock might be a better bet than one of them?

keasley45

Reaction score
And how was it that Geno resurrected his career? He got lucky. He was considered a backup and bounced around 4 teams until the starter in his last team got traded with no viable quarterback in the stable and a poor QB draft class to choose from.

That's what Lock is looking at. He doesn't have control over his destiny. As Tom Brady would tell you, so much of this game, particularly at the QB position, is dependent on being in the right place at the right time.

I guess if you wanna qualify the work and prep that Geno put in as 'luck', you can. Geno stuck here because Pete saw what he was capable of well before he took over. So did his teammates. That's why Pete was getting clobbered when fans and media thought he was crazy for seemingly handing the starting job to him. He knew what he could do. And then, he did it.

Lock was brought here with the thought that he could be the future of the franchise. He won't need 'luck' to get an opportunity if he wants it. Pete and John will give it to him.

Mick063

Reaction score
Lock is showing extremely well. I absolutely trust what my eyes are showing me. Productivity is a quantifiable measurement, and that measurement involves the uses of numbers. It is not based upon belief or faith in what may possibly happen in the future. It is scientific in nature. There is a saying in my former occupation; "What gets measured, gets done." Hence, telling me what you believe about Lock has zero persuasive power with me. Show me what you have measured, with numbers, with Lock as a Seahawk, in relative comparison to past Seahawks. That is the scientific method I believe in. Further, along with the performance measurements that are taken into account, the amount of salary compensated is absolutely part of the final measurement as well. It is called relative VALUE. Are we getting our money's worth?

Folks that tell me not to believe what my eyes are showing me are doing nothing to further their personal credibility with me. I know value when I see it and value is the absolute bottom line for effective roster construction.

Last edited:

Latest posts