Lions going for 2 from the 7…

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
…one of the worst coaching decisions of all time.

Tossing aside the fact that an offside penalty bailed out this one specific bad call and tossing aside that a bad ref call put them in this position in the first place, I think we might have witnessed one of the worst coaching decisions of all time.

Going for 2 from the 7 yard line in a situation where an extra point ties the game. What is the conversion percentage of that? Much worse than going for it from a normal 4th and 7 because you have a confined area to throw it to. I like Dan Campbell but wtf was he thinking?

ccla

Reaction score
…and then he did it a third time. What are the chances?

cymatica

Reaction score
The bigger issue is the ref Brad Allen lied in the presser. He claimed he didn't hear #68 report, but he heard #70. #68 was standing right in front of him, the ref nodded, and #70 was several yards back jogging towards them. The footage shows this.

James in PA

Reaction score
He just had his mind set, "we're going for the win no matter what," which is really idiotic thinking.

ccla

Reaction score
The bigger issue is the ref Brad Allen lied in the presser. He claimed he didn't hear #68 report, but he heard #70. #68 was standing right in front of him, the ref nodded, and #70 was several yards back jogging towards them. The footage shows this.
Really? I missed that! That is why the coach was so pissed!!!

cymatica

Reaction score
Really? I missed that! That is why the coach was so pissed!!!
Yes, you can find it on YouTube easily as well. Several Lions players confirmed it and were hesitant to say what happened thinking they would get in trouble. You can see Goff tell 68 in the huddle to tell the ref, and you can see him go right up to the ref who looks right at him while 70 is several yards back. Brad Allen straight up lies instead of admitting he screwed up

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Lions had better chance of winning in overtime. It was a dumb coaching decision, but it’s Campbell’s style.

rjdriver

Reaction score
The video evidence is clear AF

They both reported.

Campbell has balls the size of grapefruits... I get questioning the decision, but to be fair...

They converted, Legally. They won the game until the refs decided that wasn't possible against Merica's team.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I like Dan Campbell but wtf was he thinking?
He was thinking four things IMO.. (Not saying it was the right choice)

1. We have the division won, this doesn't affect us much
2. I have a play that I feel is 99% likely to work (it did actually)
3. I don't want to take my chances in overtime against the refs on Jimmy Johnson night and when the NFL prefers the Cowboys to win the NFCE
4. This is what we have built our identity on, I need to show my guys I believe in them unconditionally heading into the playoffs.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
He was told to make this call by the nfl...otherwise how do these shitty refs keep their job??? It's the same crew apparently making game deciding calls.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Fact is Campbell didn't wanna go to overtime. What for? They got nothing to play for so why risk injury? Dallas had a lot to lose in this game and that is why the nfl stepped in. It's funny how many think this shit is still on the up and up...oops refs messed up again...give me a break!

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Fact is Campbell didn't wanna go to overtime. What for? They got nothing to play for so why risk injury? Dallas had a lot to lose in this game and that is why the nfl stepped in. It's funny how many think this shit is still on the up and up...oops refs messed up again...give me a break!
They could have still possibly been #1 seed if Eagles lose.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
…one of the worst coaching decisions of all time.

Tossing aside the fact that an offside penalty bailed out this one specific bad call and tossing aside that a bad ref call put them in this position in the first place, I think we might have witnessed one of the worst coaching decisions of all time.

Going for 2 from the 7 yard line in a situation where an extra point ties the game. What is the conversion percentage of that? Much worse than going for it from a normal 4th and 7 because you have a confined area to throw it to. I like Dan Campbell but wtf was he thinking?
just a stupid call(s) - I didn't see the game just the highlight - but kick the points and go to OT - not complicated. I gotta think the percentage of winning in OT are greater than a 2 point conversion -

and the Lions are annoying AF - so there's that.

GemCity

Reaction score
He was thinking four things IMO.. (Not saying it was the right choice)

1. We have the division won, this doesn't affect us much
2. I have a play that I feel is 99% likely to work (it did actually)
3. I don't want to take my chances in overtime against the refs on Jimmy Johnson night and when the NFL prefers the Cowboys to win the NFCE
4. This is what we have built our identity on, I need to show my guys I believe in them unconditionally heading into the playoffs.
Well said!

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
This is a bad look for the NFL as it makes people feel the game is rigged.
Makes people feel or simply demonstrates what we all already know ? Rigged is a strong term and may be correct - I like steered or guided - like the WWE. Amazing athletes. Talent. And a storyline to maximize profit. Sounds very American to me.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
I thought going for two was crazy until I read this morning that the officiating crew really screwed up the call. They got the wrong guy that they thought claimed eligible. The NFL refs have really shown how bad they are and how many games that were decided by egregious calls and no calls. This should never happen. They should never be a factor on winning or losing a game.