Lions forums....

morgulon1

Reaction score
Per Football Outsiders the teams DVOA's:

Lions #19 against the pass & #21 against the rush
Seahawks #30 against the pass & #14 against the rush

Lions #12 passing & #7 rushing
Seahawks #10 passing & #20 rushing
So you're saying both equally have a suckiness about them? I'm with Soulfish, they still have to play
the game . I like Seattle's chances in this one.

I probably just jinxed any chance of Seattle winning.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Meh, let's rock. I like our chances. Just like I'm sure they like their chances. Still gotta' play the games.
Grind the working short offensive game. "Run the damn ball". Let Geno sling hash on the short routes.

Keep our steaming pile of D off the field as much as possible. I'm not kidding - I was literally yelling that several times during the Falcons game.

Kick the DC in the ass. Kick the DC in the ass again. Kick the DC in the ass a third time. Remind him that it's HIS job to make sure these 24 year old kids actually, oh, I don't know - TACKLE SOMETHING. If he doesn't listen, fire him and put his assistant in charge - 'cause this ain't workin - anything would be better.

Hope for the best. I'm 40/60 to the bad - but hopin. 2-2 would be a nice 1/4 quarter of the season given what we've seen. We can fix a few things on D - but it needs to be done NOW.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Grind the working short offensive game. "Run the damn ball". Let Geno sling hash on the short routes.

Keep our steaming pile of D off the field as much as possible. I'm not kidding - I was literally yelling that several times during the Falcons game.

Kick the DC in the ass. Kick the DC in the ass again. Kick the DC in the ass a third time. Remind him that it's HIS job to make sure these 24 year old kids actually, oh, I don't know - TACKLE SOMETHING. If he doesn't listen, fire him and put his assistant in charge - 'cause this ain't workin - anything would be better.

Hope for the best. I'm 40/60 to the bad - but hopin. 2-2 would be a nice 1/4 quarter of the season given what we've seen. We can fix a few things on D - but it needs to be done NOW.
It's the players job to execute. It baffles my mind why everyone seems to focus on coaching and ignore that the ultimate responsibility is on the players. No coach teaches players to hold (WR's), take bad angles, not wrap up, play out of assignment. These are all things plaguing Seahawks players they have to get it together and play as the scheme is designed to be played instead of freelancing as PC mentioned to the sideline reporter in the last game. I hope they can get it together and play much better this week.

Slick

Reaction score
Neither is Detroit. It's going to be a close game. Either team can win. I think this is a toss-up game.
Absolutely agree. I do think we are less complete in that we haven't established our intended offensive balance yet and our defensive personnel I think will evolve quite a bit this year by either the current guys starting having some rapid improvement or being benched/replaced.

I think the Lions are "closer to who they should be".

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
It's the players job to execute. It baffles my mind why everyone seems to focus on coaching and ignore that the ultimate responsibility is on the players. No coach teaches players to hold (WR's), take bad angles, not wrap up, play out of assignment. These are all things plaguing Seahawks players they have to get it together and play as the scheme is designed to be played instead of freelancing as PC mentioned to the sideline reporter in the last game. I hope they can get it together and play much better this week.
I've run a 20 person company. This is 50/50 in responsibility. The players/employees NOT doing it, and the coaches not enforcing it.

It's a cultural problem. PC is the cool uncle. He's the guy that scores you weed. Belichick is the dad that's the prick.

The problem, with the DC and strategy change, and bobby going, you've got a bunch of 24 year olds who are doing 'best effort to skate under the radar'. There's not leadership. He used to rely on the remnants of the LOB to provide 'troop discipline'. No more.

Where it's the coaches problem is: You need to tell these little pricks that their job is on the line. Other than that - in my experience - not a single one of them gives a shit. Unless it's gonna cost them something - they tune you out. Book it.

"Always compete". That was 10 years ago. Pete's soft now. He keeps running his mouth about "when players know that you actually care about them". Sure. That makes a ton of sense. THAT sounds like addled shit. He doesn't actually care, and neither do they.

What they SHOULD CARE ABOUT if they have any sense of self preservation - is their next contract. THAT should motivate them. If I was their DC, I'd tell them - "Just 'cause Pete thinks he's your 'friend', don't mean you got a job". Period. Numbers rule and bullshit walks. And, if you don't think that's true - check out next year when you had 'promise' and are working 'temporarily' at the Piggly Wiggly. Ask ANY CFL player about this.

I am old school. I don't like people skating with least effort. At least give me middling. 50 50. Both have responsibility, but the coaches have the ultimate responsibility to replace people who can't or won't get with the program.

Cut the non performers and replace them before the culture and process is permanently poisoned. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I lived for a decade with 3 employees that I could not fire for political reasons.

</>rant off.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Mr. Parkinson, tell us again what the team needs to do to win.
Just give me the damn ball. It's all about the ball. If you know football at all, you recognize how feeding me the ball opens things for all of our talent. Defenses key on DK now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's just one of the maddening coaching things. Something is working, let's just stop doing it. Hello, McFly

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I've run a 20 person company. This is 50/50 in responsibility. The players/employees NOT doing it, and the coaches not enforcing it.

It's a cultural problem. PC is the cool uncle. He's the guy that scores you weed. Belichick is the dad that's the prick.

The problem, with the DC and strategy change, and bobby going, you've got a bunch of 24 year olds who are doing 'best effort to skate under the radar'. There's not leadership. He used to rely on the remnants of the LOB to provide 'troop discipline'. No more.

Where it's the coaches problem is: You need to tell these little pricks that their job is on the line. Other than that - in my experience - not a single one of them gives a shit. Unless it's gonna cost them something - they tune you out. Book it.

"Always compete". That was 10 years ago. Pete's soft now. He keeps running his mouth about "when players know that you actually care about them". Sure. That makes a ton of sense. THAT sounds like addled shit. He doesn't actually care, and neither do they.

What they SHOULD CARE ABOUT if they have any sense of self preservation - is their next contract. THAT should motivate them. If I was their DC, I'd tell them - "Just 'cause Pete thinks he's your 'friend', don't mean you got a job". Period. Numbers rule and bullshit walks. And, if you don't think that's true - check out next year when you had 'promise' and are working 'temporarily' at the Piggly Wiggly. Ask ANY CFL player about this.

I am old school. I don't like people skating with least effort. At least give me middling. 50 50. Both have responsibility, but the coaches have the ultimate responsibility to replace people who can't or won't get with the program.

Cut the non performers and replace them before the culture and process is permanently poisoned. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I lived for a decade with 3 employees that I could not fire for political reasons.

</>rant off.
How do you know coaches aren’t enforcing it? Are you in meetings? Mondays are “tell the truth mondays” I guarantee the coaches aren’t ignoring these glaring mistakes. I guarantee they aren’t satisfied with the defensive performance thus far.