Kurt Warner video analysis of Geno

Jville

Reaction score
A really good review from someone who has become quite good at presenting film study to fans. I thought Kurt Warner's film study of Russell Wilson last year was spot on as well.

Geno sees the field better, makes good decisions, demonstrates better rhythm and timing, and uses his blocking. Receivers and offensive linemen (as well as the OC) surely love Geno's disciplined play.

Thanks for posting.

Rainger

Reaction score
Anyone on this board who still thinks Geno is not a top QB and is NOT what the media and his past said he was after watching this is crazy. This is exactly how TB kills teams. The quick understanding of what he sees and the seeing all his reads, and picking apart teams.

I don't think RW ever got to his third read until he had bailed and was running around.

Geno is definitely a very good QB playing within the system. I admit before the season started I too thought the starting of Geno was a mistake, but I know enough to know that Pete knows a thousand times more than me about football.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Great analysis! Really highlights how good Geno is at reading defenses both pre-snap and post-snap, and consistently taking what the defense gives him.

Also love how Kurt repeats over and over again that it's all about "playing the position" and not always looking for the big splash or hero plays that make the highlight reels. Wonder who he could have been referring to in those comments. ;)

toffee

Reaction score
Anyone on this board who still thinks Geno is not a top QB and is NOT what the media and his past said he was after watching this is crazy. This is exactly how TB kills teams. The quick understanding of what he sees and the seeing all his reads, and picking apart teams.

I don't think RW ever got to his third read until he had bailed and was running around.

Geno is definitely a very good QB playing within the system. I admit before the season started I too thought the starting of Geno was a mistake, but I know enough to know that Pete knows a thousand times more than me about football.
Geno IS top 5, that's beyond dispute. Can he stay at that level for 2-3 more years, should be open to debate?

OP
OP
T

Torc

Reaction score
Geno IS top 5, that's beyond dispute. Can he stay at that level for 2-3 more years, should be open to debate?
That's up for debate with ANY player. One of the things I liked about this video is that it isn't just some talking head blowing sunshine, it's someone who played the game at a Hall of Fame level explaining WHY Geno is playing so well, what kind of decisions he is making. From what I saw, these are sustainable things - he's not going to get worse at reading defenses. Maybe his body will start to limit him.....but probably not in the next 2-3 years, especially since he hasn't taken a ton of hits in his career.

Rainger

Reaction score
If Kurt is correct, than I cant see why he would regress. He is seeing the field , diagnosing the defense making good reads, and has all the physical skills. If anything I can only see him improving with more playing until, the body starts to limit him.

But again look at TB, a quick mind, good reads, trusting yourself you can do a lot in this league without Patrick Mahomes physical talents.

I am seeing that Geno sees the defense and plays within the system far greater than ME3 did.

That is why I think Geno will only get better over the next 2 or 3 years. He has a young body with an experienced football brain.

Last edited:

evergreen

Reaction score
We are having trouble believing what we see can last. Like he’ll turn into a pumpkin or something. Geno definitely got his mojo working. We also are inextricably tied to that pumpkin in Denver. But midnight had already struck for him, whether it was the Bills game or Ram playoff game.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
He’s always had the arm talent. Now we’re seeing someone who has studied and mastered his craft.

keasley45

Reaction score
He's been money since his first opportunity with us. It's not an abberation. He might at times hang in too long and can on occassion get too locked in on a guy, but he better than 27 other starters in the game.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
When Warner praised the spacing on the routes on a couple of plays, it made me think of how much credit Waldron, Sean Desai etc should get too. Good play decision and good coaching to have the guys run to exactly where they should be. Add in a QB who understands it, makes the reads and gets the ball out. It's just beautiful how it's all come together

toffee

Reaction score
Warner basically said that Geno's plays may not be flashy to average fans, BUT, to the knowledgeable eyes, Geno wow them .

toffee

Reaction score
He's been money since his first opportunity with us. It's not an abberation. He might at times hang in too long and can on occassion get too locked in on a guy, but he better than 27 other starters in the game.
Why Wilson rushed back from finger injury to deny Geno the opportunity.

sutz

Reaction score
Warner basically said that Geno's plays may not be flashy to average fans, BUT, to the knowledgeable eyes, Geno wow them .
Geno is kind of like Hasselbeck. He works within the system to move the ball downfield and keep the offense flowing. More first downs and more TOP leads to a fresher, rested, more effective defense. He helps the team and himself in the process of winning games.

toffee

Reaction score
Yup. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the qb room as Shane, Russ and Geno went over film together...
More conspiracy lol, why did Pete allow the premature return of Russ and didn't sit him when he clearly struggled?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Yup. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the qb room as Shane, Russ and Geno went over film together...
I'm picturing Shane and Geno totally engrossed in while with Russ on his phone looking to see how many likes his latest IG post had. Yeah probably an off-side shot at Russ but I gotta be me ;)