Kentucky's Will Levis: Backup QB and unnoticed transfer to top NFL draft prospect

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Vegas has him going pretty high. Most of the draft community has him within the 1st two rounds and usually top 15. He's got unbelievable physical skills but it's the mental side that I'm not sure if he ever gets there. Kind of reminds me of a Carson Wentz/Danial Jones.
We Bears fans recall our physical QB named Bobby Douglas. He was bigger than Levis, and had 900 rushing yards one season. You can look him up, if you’re in love with Levis physical attributes.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
We Bears fans recall our physical QB named Bobby Douglas. He was bigger than Levis, and had 900 rushing yards one season. You can look him up, if you’re in love with Levis physical attributes.
You are going way back lol. I wont lie I had to look him up on youtube. It's actually a really good physcial comparison lol

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
You are going way back lol. I wont lie I had to look him up on youtube. It's actually a really good physcial comparison lol
I remember Douglas very well. Abe Gibron called him a “coach killer” LOL. Gibron was one of the worst-ever Bears coaches, but a colorful guy. He didn’t give boring, cliche-filled press conferences like today’s coaches.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Vegas has him going pretty high. Most of the draft community has him within the 1st two rounds and usually top 15. He's got unbelievable physical skills but it's the mental side that I'm not sure if he ever gets there. Kind of reminds me of a Carson Wentz/Danial Jones.
If I was to compare Levis to an NFL QB it would be Taysom Hill, comparable body a good athlete capable of playing multiply positions I could see him being drafted by a team with an imaginative HC

I wouldn't call his physical skills unbelievable. Pay no attention to Vegas or the draft community they should be thought of as entertainment

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Pay no attention to Vegas or the draft community they should be thought of as entertainment
I use Vegas odds and the draft community's grade when somebody says a top qb prospect should switch positions lol

Hey stick to your own grade on Levis but I'd suggest remaining open to the possibility you are wrong and re-watch the tape to see what you could be missing. Im not the biggest Levis fan but I see why people are high on him.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Man, I might have to be out on Levis. He oozes misfortune when the chips are down.

He doesn't have ice in his veins. His body language gets tense and he gets panicky under pressure.

You might as well just keep Geno if you don't think Levis can change that about himself
First off - might as well keep Geno period.

Secondly... I haven't been able to watch the whole game, but I see that it's a blowout. Tennessee brought balls-out, Martindale-esque pressure against Alabama. I'm assuming the same thing is breaking Kentucky's offense?

Chevy

Reaction score
If I was to compare Levis to an NFL QB it would be Taysom Hill, comparable body a good athlete capable of playing multiply positions I could see him being drafted by a team with an imaginative HC

I wouldn't call his physical skills unbelievable. Pay no attention to Vegas or the draft community they should be thought of as entertainment
So, you have more legit draft authority than people who actually scout players?

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
At this point, how do people still see Levis as a top-10 pick, but Hooker as a 2nd rounder at best? The age thing is no longer a legitimate gripe, at the end of the day, Hooker has that fight in him, Levis doesn't.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
So, you have more legit draft authority than people who actually scout players?
All it takes is the first couple of talking heads to say I like this guy and everybody else follows like sheep, I ignore what else has been said and come to my own conclusions. Don't get me wrong Levis is a good athlete, strong throwing arm, quick release and can run what I don't like his his ability to process and act and this is playing in a pro style offense. Levis situation reminds me of Malik Willis, couldn't crack the starting lineup of the team that originally signed him had to transfer to play had decent stats and going into the draft was expected to be a top 10 pick. The talking heads on NFL Network and ESPN were all shocked when he fell to the 3rd rd

The common comparison that Levis has is to Josh Allen, I think Anthony Richardson is a better comparison, big and tall, good runner with a strong arm that has accuracy issues playing on a team that isn't successful

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
At this point, how do people still see Levis as a top-10 pick, but Hooker as a 2nd rounder at best? The age thing is no longer a legitimate gripe, at the end of the day, Hooker has that fight in him, Levis doesn't.
IMO Hooker benifits in the system that Tennessee runs, its the same that Art Briles ran at Baylor when RGIII was there up tempo and to bracket the WRs on the outside which helps to confuse the defense

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
IMO Hooker benifits in the system that Tennessee runs, its the same that Art Briles ran at Baylor when RGIII was there up tempo and to bracket the WRs on the outside which helps to confuse the defense
I agree that Tennessee's offense can make a lot of QB's look good, but I just don't see how one can say Levis has 1st round potential, but Hooker doesn't. Levis supposedly runs a pro-style offense and struggles mightily, if that's the case at the college level, what makes him worth a 1st round pick in the pros?

I just don't think Levis has earned the hype that Hooker should be getting. If the game were on the line, I know which QB I'd rather have on my team.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I agree that Tennessee's offense can make a lot of QB's look good, but I just don't see how one can say Levis has 1st round potential, but Hooker doesn't. Levis supposedly runs a pro-style offense and struggles mightily, if that's the case at the college level, what makes him worth a 1st round pick in the pros?

I just don't think Levis has earned the hype that Hooker should be getting. If the game were on the line, I know which QB I'd rather have on my team.
I am not on the Levi’s bandwagon think he is overrated people like his physical ability ( strong arm, quick release and can run) it is common that he is compared to Josh Allen which I disagree with. Main thing I don’t like is Levis’s ability to process and react when he decides to throw while under pressure he throws late resulting in interceptions. He is a good enough athlete to play in the NFL and rumored to be a good leader. I like to compare him to Taysom Hill.

Last nights game against Tennessee Levis looked awful and has a game vs Georgia on 11/19 which I am expecting to be an ass kicking

i don‘t expect the Hawks to draft a QB in 2023 but if Anthony Richardson is available in the 3rd round I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting him

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's well and truly falling apart for Levis. He had some eye-popping stuff in 2021, but he's clearly susceptible to pressure - both mental and literal pass rush pressure.