Kentucky's Will Levis: Backup QB and unnoticed transfer to top NFL draft prospect

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Will is as talented as anyone I've evaluated the last five years. The only two guys I would compare him to, where you could see it clearly, would be Joe Burrow and Josh Allen," said Scangarello, who spent the previous five seasons in the NFL and was the Denver Broncos' offensive coordinator in 2019.

"I think he will be the first overall pick in the draft."

On his Big Board for the 2023 draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper has the 6-foot-3, 235-pound Levis rated as the No. 4 player overall and the No. 2 quarterback behind Ohio State's C.J. Stroud.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Levis' offensive line isn't helping him out much this year. He doesn't look as good as he did last year. I still want him over the rest of the QBs.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well so far, kid from Carolina has a long windup, Daniels from Kansas looks like he is throwing the ball on with the film slowed down (it gets where it needs to and he puts the ball exactly in the right place, but man that thing looks like the opposite of a bullet/rocket) but he does a great job as a runner, Penix fell apart tonight (admittedly getting zero help from his team though), and Stroud looks iffy no matter when I watch him.
Assuming some of these will pop into great QBs, but nobody is screaming surefire hit this year.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Stroud just seems underwhelming anytime he is interviewed. QB has to be the leader, I’d be concerned if that could be him.

Give me the top DE/ OLB and some DL.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Man, I might have to be out on Levis. He oozes misfortune when the chips are down.

He doesn't have ice in his veins. His body language gets tense and he gets panicky under pressure.

You might as well just keep Geno if you don't think Levis can change that about himself

W

Welshers

Will Levis is THE GUY. I don't care that they lost today. This kid is ELITE

Chevy

Reaction score
He looked good to me. I just think he needs to stop being reckless when he runs with the ball...he needs to focus on winning the war and not the battle.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Man, I might have to be out on Levis. He oozes misfortune when the chips are down.

He doesn't have ice in his veins. His body language gets tense and he gets panicky under pressure.

You might as well just keep Geno if you don't think Levis can change that about himself
He did have a bad game today. His first pass should have been a TD, but he badly overthrew the receiver. On the safety, he should have thrown it away. At worst, he gets sacked on the 2-yd. line. No excuse for running back into the end zone and getting sacked. He had two other turnovers — a fumble and a strip/sack at end of game.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
You can only have your best day once.
The thing about this QB class this is that it is deep in viable prospects. 2024 will have quite a few as well. It's really hard to pick the best piece of candy in a jar full of the same stuff. That's why I include off field quality as a prime consideration. Technique can be taught, but character and natural leadership need to be ingrained. Those things tend to narrow the field.
As for grading performance level, I like the premise of throwing out the best and the worst and averaging the rest.

Last edited:

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Levis is working behind a terrible OL. He has taken a lot of hits but he is built for it. Dude is a leader, from what I can tell and in interviews with coaches, he seems like a foundational QB. If we want to look at a few missed throws or "cowboy" antics of recklessness... I'll just re-direct attention to Josh Allen when he played at Wyoming. It comes down to leadership, physical talent, and leading on the field. I take Levis over anyone in this draft class.

I love the kid at Kansas...but I don't think he's available in this draft. I like the kid from USC, but he's still young.

The only other QB I would want as the face of the Seahawks is Jaren Hall... who may sneak into round 1.

I take either one with the first pick or second 1st round pick and build around them.

Chevy

Reaction score
If we take a QB in the top-5 of 1st round, IMO it's Levis or Stroud no other QBs for me that high at this point.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
After watching the Kentucky vs Ole Miss i wouldn't draft Levis higher than the 3rd round
I think I read he completed just 3 passes thrown over 5 yards in the air, which matches what I saw on tape. A lot of short passes or tucking and run at the first sign of pressure.

I won't act like I've done a crazy amount of tape study on Levis but I would think a potential top 5 pick would be allowed to do more from his coaches then screen passes all game. It's strange.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I think I read he completed just 3 passes thrown over 5 yards in the air, which matches what I saw on tape. A lot of short passes or tucking and run at the first sign of pressure.

I won't act like I've done a crazy amount of tape study on Levis but I would think a potential top 5 pick would be allowed to do more from his coaches then screen passes all game. It's strange.
I was thinking the same thing, There is a good reason Levis wasn't starting at Penn State and now isn't much of a QB in a Pro style offense, he might be destined to be a TE/ H back in the NFL

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I'll say this about Levis, if the Giants have the opportunity to take him, they'll do it. I'm sure Brian Daboll would love to have a QB like he had in Buffalo. Plus, Levis would reunite with Wan'Dale Robinson. It makes too much sense.

Chevy

Reaction score
Levis is defiantly a polarizing prospect.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, There is a good reason Levis wasn't starting at Penn State and now isn't much of a QB in a Pro style offense, he might be destined to be a TE/ H back in the NFL
Vegas has him going pretty high. Most of the draft community has him within the 1st two rounds and usually top 15. He's got unbelievable physical skills but it's the mental side that I'm not sure if he ever gets there. Kind of reminds me of a Carson Wentz/Danial Jones.