Kam Chancellor/ Seahawks agree to 3 year extension

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Excellent move, and he has more than earned it. Especially with how he was AFTER the holdout. He pretty much called himself out on it, and didn't bad mouth anyone. Took it with class, and showed leadership imo.
Great move, and it will make the other players happy to see them taking care of a huge leader in this team.

cymatica

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":2j1m69or said:
Nice move by PC and JS.

With the way the NFL is heading, defenses will have 3 safeties on the field more often than not and Chancellor will be playing that hybrid role. The good thing about Chancellor's skill set is that if his speed does fall off and can not handle the safety position as well that he can be moved to the linebacker unit.

This 100%

mikeak

Reaction score
1) He was going to make $7million this year so that part was pretty much guaranteed

2) No way he plays out his contract so a new 3 year deal would pay him at a minimum $12 million this year

So to me you take the $12million out of the guaranteed -- that is for this year and we were going to give him that money no matter what

So what is left is 2 additional years for $24million with $13million of that guaranteed -- this is not a bad deal

If you make him play out this year then the perspective would have been as follows

He makes $7million now

Then you are banking that you sign him next year for under $29million for 2 years with less than $18 million guaranteed

Now that probably happens BUT you probably get a 3 year contract instead so in the end you will have more guaranteed money just spread on three years and it is doubtful that you want him that last year since it would be four years from now

A nicely structured deal, the guaranteed money looks greater up front than it truly is

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":27y68ikj said:
1) He was going to make $7million this year so that part was pretty much guaranteed

2) No way he plays out his contract so a new 3 year deal would pay him at a minimum $12 million this year

So to me you take the $12million out of the guaranteed -- that is for this year and we were going to give him that money no matter what

So what is left is 2 additional years for $24million with $13million of that guaranteed -- this is not a bad deal

If you make him play out this year then the perspective would have been as follows

He makes $7million now

Then you are banking that you sign him next year for under $29million for 2 years with less than $18 million guaranteed

Now that probably happens BUT you probably get a 3 year contract instead so in the end you will have more guaranteed money just spread on three years and it is doubtful that you want him that last year since it would be four years from now

A nicely structured deal, the guaranteed money looks greater up front than it truly is

Not how it works though. He was already being paid $8M this year in cap space from last contract, so you don't take that money off his new guaranteed $25M, that was already his to keep. If they bump him to $12M this year (cap hit), then they can deduct that additional $4M from the 25M to spread out the next 3.

$25M of his NEW contract is guaranteed. You are trying to apply it to his old contract.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3727ropd said:
$25M of his NEW contract is guaranteed. You are trying to apply it to his old contract.

We don't know if the three years starts now, or it's a true three year extension after this year.

If the final year is voided, then yes he could make the 12M this year. Haven't seen the particulars yet, that I've seen anyway.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
kidhawk":s08s64un said:
Absolutely love Kam and what he brings to this defense, but I have reservations about the amount of guaranteed money.

Depends on the breakdown of fully guaranteed vs guaranteed for injury only.

Usually with NFL contracts, when you hear "$xxx guaranteed" it means that the signing bonus is fully guaranteed and the rest is only guaranteed for injury.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":38ypyf7w said:
Seymour":38ypyf7w said:

We don't know if the three years starts now, or it's a true three year extension after this year.

If the final year is voided, then yes he could make the 12M this year. Haven't seen the particulars yet, that I've seen anyway.

Yes we do. A 3 year extention being announced is 3 additional years. That is the way they all work. Also the article confirms this---signed through 2020.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3dt6psxx said:
Sgt. Largent":3dt6psxx said:
Seymour":3dt6psxx said:

Yes we do. A 3 year extention being announced is 3 additional years. That is the way they all work. Also the article confirms this---signed through 2020.

But like with Bennett's contract extension last year, roster and incentive bonuses can be applied to this year's contract year to push the per year average up to where Kam wanted it to be, around 12M.

Which is why it's being reported that Kam is now the 3rd highest paid safety behind Berry and Mathieu.

Until we see how sites like Sportrac break it down, we won't know how the money's being distributed over the next four years.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seymour":ha0lmq9n said:
mikeak":ha0lmq9n said:

He makes $7million now

Not how it works though. He was already being paid $8M this year in cap space from last contract, so you don't take that money off his new guaranteed $25M, that was already his to keep. If they bump him to $12M this year (cap hit), then they can deduct that additional $4M from the 25M to spread out the next 3.

I went from the OP post that says he was signed to a 3 year deal

I see now that is not correct and you are correct. It is a 3 year extension. Agree that is tacked on to the existing contract

As posted in the first post (not reading the link) it would have been a 3 year deal which would have voided his existing year - which can be done but clearly not what they did

Lets see how the money is spread out but yes my post was incorrect

semiahmoo

Reaction score
25 mill. guaranteed.
Ouch.

Hope it pays off but he's lost a half-step or so already so...

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1wkbrar3 said:
Seymour":1wkbrar3 said:
Sgt. Largent":1wkbrar3 said:
Seymour":1wkbrar3 said:

But like with Bennett's contract extension last year, roster and incentive bonuses can be applied to this year's contract year to push the per year average up to where Kam wanted it to be, around 12M.

Which is why it's being reported that Kam is now the 3rd highest paid safety behind Berry and Mathieu.

Until we see how sites like Sportrac break it down, we won't know how the money's being distributed over the next four years.

A 3 year extension is exactly what it says. The MONEY can be spread out over the 4 years, yes. But you you have to add the $25M guaranteed to his current $8M into contract and cannot subtract it from his new guaranteed $$.

Bottom line. They always use the current deal and final year to help spread out the $$. But simplified he still earns $8M this year, then $12M (if this is new 1st year) next. It is just how they are paying him that helps the team.

In reality, he is a $12M man (next year), finishing out his last year of his deal.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
He signed for less than I thought he would, so I'm happy. We need Kam to be satisfied with his deal to keep things running smoothly, and for this year we should have that at least.

Glad they got it done. Kam needs to retire a Seahawk and this is a step in that direction.

Seymour

Reaction score

Maulbert

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1nxer4tb said:
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/seahawks-kam-chancellor-reach-year-extension/story?id=48967634

3 years, $36 million. $25 million guaranteed

Thoughts to locking up The Enforcer for 3 more years?

Kam is Bam Bam, or Kamtrak. Kenny Easley was The Enforcer.

Kenny easley

Seymour

Reaction score
Maulbert":27kcg262 said:
Jerhawk":27kcg262 said:
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/seahawks-kam-chancellor-reach-year-extension/story?id=48967634

Good catch...but actually you are both right.

https://twitter.com/kam_chancellor?lang=en

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":ll7dvqub said:
Jerhawk":ll7dvqub said:

Kenny easley

Lol good catch man my bad. Not sure where I got that from