Julian Love on players smoking cigars

Mase

Reaction score
-- As I have said many times on here, I wish some of you could get outside your little sphere and hear how stupid and petty you sound. You are funneling your frustrations on to everything and anything you can.

-- Couple of posts ago I saw these two statements, "Made me think I was right" and "disrespecting the fan base". What a shock, you have decided the team isn't taking it seriously enough, so this cigar thing just reinforces your existing bias. Then of course, the classic. Disrespecting the fan base. What a farce. Most players don't like the "fans", nor should they. Fan is not short for friend of team, it is short for fanatic. Just listen to how you children go on and on about how this guy sucks and that guy sucks. They didn't bring you your personal glory, so they all suck. You certainly disrespect them and their efforts on here constantly, because now you can't brag at work, and that Rams fan is making fun of you. Grow up.

-- It is hard to win in the NFL. If these guys didn't care, they would have lost to lowly Arizona by 40. According to this board we have horrible coaching, terrible players all over the field, no one cares or takes is seriously, but we still ended up with a winning record. It is just an NFL miracle I guess. The bottom line is we are average, just slightly above average. We aren't there yet with players, and I would prefer some coaching changes, but this pearl clutching over cigars is the most childish and petty thing I have seen in a long time. Get over yourselves.

Mase

Ozzy

Reaction score
Mase quit with the insults as JP already said. Someone can disagree with you and we don't need to call them stupid. We're shooting the shit on football and its really ok to disagree on stuff, laugh and move on. Why everyone uses football as a moral compass for another person they've never met is what is actually stupid.

so some in here don't think it was a big deal, some think it was a bad look. Both are reasonable takes so lets leave it at that and move on. Come on guys.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
-- As I have said many times on here, I wish some of you could get outside your little sphere and hear how stupid and petty you sound. You are funneling your frustrations on to everything and anything you can.

-- Couple of posts ago I saw these two statements, "Made me think I was right" and "disrespecting the fan base". What a shock, you have decided the team isn't taking it seriously enough, so this cigar thing just reinforces your existing bias. Then of course, the classic. Disrespecting the fan base. What a farce. Most players don't like the "fans", nor should they. Fan is not short for friend of team, it is short for fanatic. Just listen to how you children go on and on about how this guy sucks and that guy sucks. They didn't bring you your personal glory, so they all suck. You certainly disrespect them and their efforts on here constantly, because now you can't brag at work, and that Rams fan is making fun of you. Grow up.

-- It is hard to win in the NFL. If these guys didn't care, they would have lost to lowly Arizona by 40. According to this board we have horrible coaching, terrible players all over the field, no one cares or takes is seriously, but we still ended up with a winning record. It is just an NFL miracle I guess. The bottom line is we are average, just slightly above average. We aren't there yet with players, and I would prefer some coaching changes, but this pearl clutching over cigars is the most childish and petty thing I have seen in a long time. Get over yourselves.

Mase
Exactly, seasons over. It's not like they can go back in time and not be terrible on defense. Smoke em if you got em.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Not that it matters, but I'm pretty sure that the guys were breaking the law by lighting up indoors. The stadium in AZ is publicly owned, and if the laws in AZ are like those in WA, it's against the law to smoke indoors in a public facility unless it's in a designated smoking area, which the locker room clearly isn't.

This was a really bad look, and the players have spent the better part of the past two days back peddling trying to explain it as it's exploded on social media. You would think that they'd have a little more common sense and understand how easily their behavior could be misinterpreted.

renofox

Reaction score
Mike Dugar was there and went into detail on his man2man podcast. He was present right after they lit up. He said that Love told him they were basically celebrating making it through the season and staying healthy, and taking the opportunity for one last celebration all together as some of them wouldn't be with the Seahawks next year. There was no mention of celebrating the birth of a child.

He also said it was not a good vibe in the locker room. Some of the uninvolved players saw it as inappropriate.

His big takeaway was that he viewed it as a microcosm of the season. "A bunch of guys that were not on the same page". Which is also what he and many of us saw on the field.

I don't think you can blame the players. If they knew what they were doing would be viewed as inappropriate by a significant percentage of the fans, I think they would have waited til the next day while they were cleaning out their lockers.

The problem is that they didn't understand it. They were not hyper-focused on Team First and Unity. That's a failure in organizational culture.

tldr; Leave the kids alone.