JR Sweezy

Hawks46

Reaction score
jblaze":3vjiwvi3 said:
Via twitter today they said Bowie is up to 330, Bailey at 320, Sweezy up to 320 and Carp down to 320 so they've very happy with where they're at.

Also consider this, it's common for linemen to lose weight during the season because they cannot lift as hard during game weeks as they do in the offseason. Regarding putting on 20 pds, a lot of guys are on regimented NFL diets which allow you the best nutrition based on the goal which in this case is bulking up. It is certainly possible, especially given the less cardio they do in the early offseason.

Sweezy specifically has spent the last 5 weeks in Florida on a rigorous workout regime. Read below:

http://www.mooresvilletribune.com/sport ... f6878.html

If that's true about the OL, then we're already going to see improvement, IMO. Sweezy has a hard time anchoring at times; going straight up against DT's in the run (at least good ones) and sometimes in pass pro. Sure, he only allowed one sack, but a lot of that is on Wilson's elusiveness. When I've watched him, a lot of times he holds up fine and a good portion of the time, he's on skates all the way back to the QB. I don't doubt he'll get better, but he's league average right now.

As for Carp, I think his problem is he's carrying too much weight, and trying to do too much with it. When you're seeing a lot of lower extremity injuries, it's typically lack of strength or too much weight up top. If he's at 320, I think that's a great start, but I honestly hope they put someone talented there and compete like hell to see what happens. Other than RT, I'd really like to see some improvement from our interior OL. We're going to have some serious issues if teams can stop our run more than last year, what with all of our WR questions.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I love the way sweezy plays the game. He is going to be one of the best guards, and soon.

Skeeve

Reaction score
On the "man run", when Lynch went in for the TD, if you watch the Sweeze he takes out about 5 defenders with a flying sideways block. Love the way Sweezy plays.

Maybe our line will come together this year, crosses fingers. I really like what I'm hearing. :th2thumbs:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I love how people fuel the PED fire... I doubt any player on this team is stupid enough to mess around with performance enhanchers when the Seahawks literally have the biggest targets on their backs especially after winning the Superbowl.

Fact is its been almost 10 weeks since the Superbowl, if he did 5 weeks of training, maybe he didn't eactly gain all 20 pounds in that time frame but over all of 10 weeks that is what he weighed in at.

I'm excited for the Offensive Line next season... Cable believes in these linemen and I'm sure he lit a fire under all of their asses with some of their sub-par play last season. And he is definately looks to be allowing his youngsters to compete for starts which will only push everyone to be on there toes (except for Okung...lol)

Also, I believe Bailey and Bowie are at their collegiate weight, Bailey is an athletic beast comparable to Sweezy, and Bowie one of the biggest things with him was developing his overall strength. Dude has the frame and attitude to dominate if he can possess elite strength. So hopefully his weight gain is more about losing fat and adding muscle.

Carpenter has impressed me, he impressed me last season just by actually finishing the season healthy, and now if he's actually down to 320, that's awesome news for him. I'm wondering if the team has a target weight for him like 315 or maybe they want him to push hard to get closer to 310, and then build him back up into a more athletic, healthier 320 range. Make him work twice as hard losing and gaining weight but maintaining athleticism. Big year for him, and if he can keep his health, he has tools to be a dominanting left guard.

Seahawks got some dogs and we haven't even drafted anyone yet.

Tical21

Reaction score
I agree, I doubt any of them would do anything now besides HGH. Too stupid to risk playing around with the small stuff.

It will be a learning curve though. I gained about 25 lbs of muscle before my freshman year of college and it took at least two months to get used to the added weight. I was having trouble getting out of my stance and getting my legs under me, I just felt really top-heavy and kind of kept falling forward for a while. I had a bit of a higher center of gravity than he does anyways, so it may not effect him as much, but I can guarantee he'll notice a difference.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":37nfm4u7 said:
Sweezy "won" the starting spot because there wasn't competition.

If you let two bad players compete for the same spot then you're guaranteeing that one of the bad players gets the spot.

Make him compete against an average guard and he will lose and be a respectable backup.

Thanks for the tip. I don't know why the Hawks hired Tom Cable instead of you.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2g00pkye said:
bjornanderson21":2g00pkye said:
Sweezy "won" the starting spot because there wasn't competition.

If you let two bad players compete for the same spot then you're guaranteeing that one of the bad players gets the spot.

Make him compete against an average guard and he will lose and be a respectable backup.

Thanks for the tip. I don't know why the Hawks hired Tom Cable instead of you.
:laugh:

Largent80

Reaction score
I think Sweezy could possibly be our best O-Lineman this coming season.

I love how he has progressed. Kudos to him and the staff.

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1pjqv82q said:
In the picture, it looks like Sweezy is carrying more "good weight" than he did a year ago. He has the upper body build of a taller Richie Incognito. He could stand to add more strength to his lower body, which will make him more explosive off the line of scrimmage.

534c292290685image

082113-9-NFL-Seahawks-Falcons-OB-PI_2013082121083778_660_320.JPG

You can tell from that picture that he needs strength in his lower body?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Smellyman":2mbz45zb said:

He's still got those race horse legs. Guards need a thicker lower base to give them leverage and a low center of gravity. That's an area of Sweezy's game that he could work on. Adding strength to his lower body will help him when blocking more powerful defensive tackles.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
hawknation2014":sdxijqjq said:
Smellyman":sdxijqjq said:

He's still got those race horse legs. Guards need a thicker lower base to give them leverage and a low center of gravity. That's an area of Sweezy's game that he could work on. Adding strength to his lower body will help him when blocking more powerful defensive tackles.

The question was if you could come to that conclusion from looking at that picture. You can't.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1f0bwmt2 said:
hawknation2014":1f0bwmt2 said:
Smellyman":1f0bwmt2 said:

The question was if you could come to that conclusion from looking at that picture. You can't.

534c292290685image

Obviously, it's not just from the picture. Most people find it easier to build upper body mass before they can distribute it to their lower body. Although we cannot see the top part of his legs and thighs, it's very clear that his calf muscles are disproportionately small in comparison to his massive upper body. That is the part of the picture I was initially referring to.

As Sweezy distributes that mass to his lower body, that's going to make him a more compete guard this year with power in his get off to go along with his natural athleticism.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
It cracks me up how so many people here are Know-It-Alls about OL strength, etc... All posted from a keyboard. Hey, I have an idea: Apply for the job with the Seahawks to show how much you know..
(shaking my damned head)

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1xdt59pi said:
It cracks me up how so many people here are Know-It-Alls about OL strength, etc... All posted from a keyboard. Hey, I have an idea: Apply for the job with the Seahawks to show how much you know..
(shaking my damned head)

I played guard in high school, but I'm not claiming to be an expert in NFL conditioning. If my eyesight is not failing me, Sweezy's forearms look nearly as thick as his calves.

Sweezy already looks much bigger in his upper body than he did a year ago, and you can see where that 20 extra pounds went since the season ended. During the rest of this off-season, I expect he will distribute some of that mass so his lower body is proportionately more powerful. There is little doubt that is something Cable and the training staff would like to see from all their young players.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Attributing lower body strength to the size of one's calves is terribly misguided.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":393kbgyj said:
Attributing lower body strength to the size of one's calves is terribly misguided.

You're free to disagree, even terribly, but I'm referring to the mass in his lower body and attaining a lower center of gravity.

Sweezy has struggled with some of the more powerful DTs in the league in his first couple years, but we have seen a steady improvement as he has developed his technique and continued to get bigger and stronger. Some of that weight he has gained this off-season will be redistributed to his lower body. MASS MOVES ASS.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Sweezy in the particular draft that includes many very athletic lineman I've seen in a draft would have ranked
1st in Vertical Jump and tied 3rd Overall in the Broad Jump.

He has a very athletic base, if anything that was a strength coming out of college.

What he did lack, is power posting only 21 reps at the combine and then 18 reps at his Pro Day.

But leg power he does have, and if it does look lacking, it might be because he has a giant pair of shorts on.

And to add Sweezy's broad and vert would have ranked first by far out of all guards in this draft.

McGruff

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":5i0b9y2i said:
Sweezy in the particular draft that includes many very athletic lineman I've seen in a draft would have ranked
1st in Vertical Jump and tied 3rd Overall in the Broad Jump.

He has a very athletic base, if anything that was a strength coming out of college.

What he did lack, is power posting only 21 reps at the combine and then 18 reps at his Pro Day.

But leg power he does have, and if it does look lacking, it might be because he has a giant pair of shorts on.

And to add Sweezy's broad and vert would have ranked first by far out of all guards in this draft.

Stop letting facts get in the way of a good story, um, picture.