Johnson Off the Table

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Only if they're stupid, or if their new team sucks.
Here is the thing though, there are a lot of stupid owners in the NFL, some that actively sabotage their teams chances because they want to leave their mark.

Good ownership is actually a rarer occurrence in the NFL. Jody Allen may or may not fall into the bad owner category herself. She definitely has done a bad job managing the Blazers. This right here is her first real, big test with the Seahawks.

The moral of the story is our ownership is in a strange limbo. Washington as well is an unknown.

If you’re a guy worried about legacy, and you’re looking at a team with a weird ownership situation, you better bet it plays into their decision making. You also better bet that following a Pete Carroll figure would also be intimidating along with our salary cap issue.

There is a lot of reasons why Seattle might give some potential coaches a pause.

CPHawk

Reaction score
So when Detroit goes 8-9 next year, will anyone want him? He is taking a big gamble. Most teams who fold like Detroit did, don’t generally bounce back the next year.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I'm not even talking about the on-field/cap situation. That's not a huge problem if a coach is given job security.

I'm referring to the long-term ownership situation, inheriting a GM with total control and a mandate to maintain its prior coach's culture. If you were a young coach with the clout to call your shots, like Ben Johnson, what's appealing about our situation? High expectations, tough division, less control. Johnson probably looked at that and asked for a Sean-Payton-style deal because, in his situation, that's the only reason to risk your long-term future to get into a possibly messy situation.

I never even thought about the ownership aspect. Thats a mystery that could deter some people from signing because you just never know. What you were promised today could be gone tomorrow. Excellent point.

OP
OP
HawkFreak

HawkFreak

Reaction score
I never even thought about the ownership aspect. Thats a mystery that could deter some people from signing because you just never know. What you were promised today could be gone tomorrow. Excellent point.
But why would Jody even begin any of this if the plan was to sell soon? Why not just stick with Carroll until the sale? I think that says something.

If coaches are worried about the team being sold sometime soon and basing their decision on that - I think those concerns are misplaced.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, let's all say she doesn't have the guts to hire Macdonald and/or stay away from Quinn.
Just like most of us said about firing Pete.
Worked last time, it could work again :)

BASF

Reaction score
Thirty-two coaches have been fired after their first season, including one by our organization. Job security in the NFL does not exist. It's one of the reasons I think Johnson wants so much money up front for his first head coaching gig. Also, the team representatives have stated the sale can take from ten to twenty years. If perspective employees are worried about not being employed in ten to twenty years, I would call that paranoia.

One other poster mentioned the possibility that Johnson is hedging his bets that he is the next Lions head coach. Campbell absolutely cost his team the trip to the Super Bowl and if there is a repeat of the same, their ownership may decide it is best to part ways.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
But why would Jody even begin any of this if the plan was to sell soon? Why not just stick with Carroll until the sale? I think that says something.

If coaches are worried about the team being sold sometime soon and basing their decision on that - I think those concerns are misplaced.

You very well could be right, but on the flipside, if Jody got rid of the guy who babysat the entire thing for her, could that mean she's close to selling? It's no secret she has to sell at this point, and with Carroll getting the axe and her having to get her hands dirty now, it might be sooner than later.

Interesting stuff. Fun times.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
IF he is asking 10-15 mil, no thx. But, you make a good point about Detroit. He could be the coach in waiting after Campbell hands another playoff game away next year. And it's real simple for me, I want a coach who WANTS TO BE HERE. If you don't want to be in a Seattle, f off. That's pretty much how I see it.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Also, the team representatives have stated the sale can take from ten to twenty years. If perspective employees are worried about not being employed in ten to twenty years, I would call that paranoia.
Exactly. This is something a rational person wouldn't worry about.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jody doesn't need or have to sell, at some point most teams get sold, the team is an asset gaining in value by the minute Paul paid like 194,000, it's worth more the 5 Billion from what I seen now, she is Paul's heir and administrator of his investments and is charged to manage them. Blazers and Seahawks growing in value without having to do much of anything is better then the Stock Market.

#14 Seattle Seahawks​

Seattle seahawks 416x416
TEAM VALUE
$5BCalculated August 2023
OWNER(S)
Paul G. Allen Trust
CHAMPIONSHIPS
YEAR PURCHASED
PRICE PAID
$194M
REVENUE
$555M
OPERATING INCOME
$89M
DEBT/VALUE
4%
PLAYER EXPENSES
$284M
GATE RECEIPTS
$82M
WINS-TO-PLAYER COST RATIO
REVENUE PER FAN
$41
METRO AREA POPULATION
4M
MEDIA PARTNERS
Tv: King 5; Radio: 710 ESPN, 97.3 KIRO FM

In fact they increased in value over last year 11 %

renofox

Reaction score
Jody doesn't need or have to sell, at some point most teams get sold, the team is an asset gaining in value by the minute Paul paid like 194,000, it's worth more the 5 Billion from what I seen now, she is Paul's heir and administrator of his investments and is charged to manage them. Blazers and Seahawks growing in value without having to do much of anything is better then the Stock Market.

#14 Seattle Seahawks​

View attachment 64196
TEAM VALUE
$5BCalculated August 2023
OWNER(S)
Paul G. Allen Trust
CHAMPIONSHIPS
YEAR PURCHASED
PRICE PAID
$194M
REVENUE
$555M
OPERATING INCOME
$89M
DEBT/VALUE
4%
PLAYER EXPENSES
$284M
GATE RECEIPTS
$82M
WINS-TO-PLAYER COST RATIO
REVENUE PER FAN
$41
METRO AREA POPULATION
4M
MEDIA PARTNERS
Tv: King 5; Radio: 710 ESPN, 97.3 KIRO FM

In fact they increased in value over last year 11 %
This^. Jody has publicly stated 10-20 years to liquidate the Estate and turn the proceeds over to the Trust. She has a duty to maximize return and value before the sell.

I've posted links on a dozen or so threads and just don't understand why so many keep worrying about a sell as though it's happening soon.

BASF

Reaction score
This^. Jody has publicly stated 10-20 years to liquidate the Estate and turn the proceeds over to the Trust. She has a duty to maximize return and value before the sell.

I've posted links on a dozen or so threads and just don't understand why so many keep worrying about a sell as though it's happening soon.
They want an owner with some meat and tubeage.

bileever

Reaction score
I thought this was what probably happened, given the timing of his withdrawal. I suspect that John Schneider told him after their meeting that they were leaning towards Macdonald, and Johnson didn't want to go to Washington, so he called off that interview with the Commanders. He's better off waiting until next year instead of going to a crappy Washington team that gave away two of their better players and has a bad QB situation.

renofox

Reaction score
My theory: JS and BJ did not click on a personal level, and had different philosophies, strategies, and vision on the best way forward.

By the end of the interview, BJ knew he wasn't going to be hired and had no desire to go to WAS (he was using WAS as leverage with JS) so he went into damage control mode and 'decided' to stay with DET another year. Doing this immediately while WAS was on the way to interview him was an attempt to add truthiness to his 'decision' and to wash away the 'stain' of being deemed unsuitable.

These types of actions are a common strategy in failed executive interviews.

Latest posts