John Schneider

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":3idkztal said:
Well when you think it's bad just look at the Cowboys.

I can't imagine a worst case scenario than an owner who thinks he's a GM bungling and ruining my team for decades.

At least with a bad owner you might luck out with GM and coach hires once every ten or twenty years, but the Cowboys don't have a chance of ever being good as long as Jones is upright.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3tgm5cvr said:
chris98251":3tgm5cvr said:
Well when you think it's bad just look at the Cowboys.

I can't imagine a worst case scenario than an owner who thinks he's a GM bungling and ruining my team for decades.

At least with a bad owner you might luck out with GM and coach hires once every ten or twenty years, but the Cowboys don't have a chance of ever being good as long as Jones is upright.

The saddest part is, they'll sometimes have seasons that are good enough to give the team hope for the future, but invariably they cannot sustain the success and regress back to league average or worse.

It's like purgatory.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think the most credit still goes to Wilson as it's hard to win with a crap QB. But the thing about John is he is pretty relentless at scouring the market. Maybe not the best draft acumen but not the worst either.

But in FA and trades, he comes out ahead more often than not. If you look at the stars of the Carroll era, so many were late round picks, low budget FA's or trades for little capital.

Lynch
Wilson
Wagner
Sherman
Chancellor
Avril
Bennett
Brown
Metcalf
Lockett
Diggs
Dunlap
Carson
Ford

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
sdog1981":3ve87qg4 said:
pittpnthrs":3ve87qg4 said:
I still think he gets way to cute in the draft by not taking some obvious people in areas of need, but I dont know how much of that is on Pete or him. The first round failures have been frustrating to say the least also. I dont think Schneider is Gods gift of GMs, but he isnt awful either.

The Bobby Bethard approach. The Washington Football team went from 1984 to 1990 with 0 first-round draft picks, yet via UDFAs and late-round picks the team won 3 Super Bowls and played in 4.

Well, with Schneider the Hawks have won 1 Super Bowl. He has some work to do.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":13zfds8y said:
I still think he gets way to cute in the draft by not taking some obvious people in areas of need, but I dont know how much of that is on Pete or him. The first round failures have been frustrating to say the least also. I dont think Schneider is Gods gift of GMs, but he isnt awful either.

I suspect part of it is that the Seahawks front office and coaching staff use different measures of value than most teams, so the "obvious" choice sometimes is not at the top of the Seahawks' board. In other words, he's not "get[ting] cute"; he just disagrees with other GMs and especially talking-head draft "experts" on which are the best players available at any given point in a draft.
Analyses of draft behavior and performance that I've seen suggest the Seahawks draft very differently from everyone else, and that overall, their approach is effective. And it's not just that they had one of the best drafts in history in 2012 (and I say "one of" because we can't forget how great the Steelers' 1969-1974 drafts were).

chris98251

Reaction score
sdog1981":ltddfyg1 said:
pittpnthrs":ltddfyg1 said:

The Bobby Bethard approach. The Washington Football team went from 1984 to 1990 with 0 first-round draft picks, yet via UDFAs and late-round picks the team won 3 Super Bowls and played in 4.

But they were also big at signing Free Agents, you know guys like Riggins, Doug Williams and many others. Why when Snyder bought them he figured he knew a formula just sign as many F.A.'S as you need and you will win.

You also needed George Allen and Dick Vermeil to make it work with all those players as well.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Mad Dog":20cmjxs0 said:
I think the most credit still goes to Wilson as it's hard to win with a crap QB. But the thing about John is he is pretty relentless at scouring the market. Maybe not the best draft acumen but not the worst either.

But in FA and trades, he comes out ahead more often than not. If you look at the stars of the Carroll era, so many were late round picks, low budget FA's or trades for little capital.

Lynch
Wilson
Wagner
Sherman
Chancellor
Avril
Bennett
Brown
Metcalf
Lockett
Diggs
Dunlap
Carson
Ford

Part of the reason that JS doesn't shine as much on his draft "acumen" is because of the principles that he and Pete stand by. One example is what a lot of other teams will do, but they won't. They won't draft players that the team doesn't necessarily need, but they know teams behind them covet, to then use as trade bait with those teams. They feel it's a bit of a betrayal to the young man (to have his dreams fulfilled by getting drafted, by a team that he thinks wants him), and then to find out that he's just a commodity being sold to the highest bidder.

Latest posts