JJ McCarthy Just Declared for the Draft

Ozzy

Reaction score
I’m warming up to him. He doesn’t seem to have that special arm but then again a lot of guys are studs at the next level with high IQ play. If John takes him early I’ll be excited about it because that means he’s fully sold on him

12forlife

Reaction score
Can't take anyone serious who doesn't think that guy is tough. You clearly didn't watch him this year.
I did watch a handful of Husky games, he always seemed humped over grabbing at his ribs. Plus his injury history??? He seems to risky, ild rather see him elsewhere. I'm not a Husky fan so might cloud my judgment?

Mick063

Reaction score
I HATE this idea.

He is a much lesser version of the Patriot's Mac Jones. His college career was carried by an NFL caliber defensive front that consistently gave him good field position. A game manager that will fold at the first moment he has to go off script. He isn't going to bring you back from a two-score deficit. His absolute ceiling is less than the Giant's Daniel Jones because NFL linebackers will have no problem chasing down his designed runs. I couldn't say NO more emphatically. He is one of those guys that will be in constant panic mode once the league figures out that he can't deal with a disguised blitz. I think he is the worst 1st round mock pick in the last decade. Not just at quarterback but for ANY position. He will be out of the league within four years (once his rookie deal turns into something more expensive). There are at least ten college quarterbacks that I would much rather prefer. I wouldn't even waste a sixth-round flyer on him just because of the media distraction he would unintentionally albeit inherently create for the quarterback room. He would be the worst first round selection since Aaron Curry. Trust me on this one. John Schnieder is much smarter than this. He wants a quarterback that will "tip the table".

Last edited:

12th_Bob

Reaction score
God no, barf

Luckily, nothing screams a Schneider pick to me from what I've seen from JJ. None of the mega arm or supreme athleticism he liked about certain prospects more recently.

Last edited:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I HATE this idea.

He is a much lesser version of the Patriot's Mac Jones. His college career was carried by an NFL caliber defensive front that consistently gave him good field position. A game manager that will fold at the first moment he has to go off script. He isn't going to bring you back from a two-score deficit. His absolute ceiling is less than the Giant's Daniel Jones because NFL linebackers will have no problem chasing down his designed runs. I couldn't say NO more emphatically. He is one of those guys that will be in constant panic mode once the league figures out that he can't deal with a disguised blitz. I think he is the worst 1st round mock pick in the last decade. Not just at quarterback but for ANY position. He will be out of the league within four years (once his rookie deal turns into something more expensive). There are at least ten college quarterbacks that I would much rather prefer. I wouldn't even waste a sixth-round flyer on him just because of the media distraction he would unintentionally albeit inherently create for the quarterback room. He would be the worst first round selection since Aaron Curry. Trust me on this one. John Schnieder is much smarter than this. He wants a quarterback that will "tip the table".
But he has 4.4-4.5 speed Mick .. :D

IndyHawk

Reaction score
My concerns over Penix have nothing to do with his abilities and everything to do with his durability. 2 ACL tears and 2 shoulder injuries in the span of 4 years is a little concerning. He has been mostly healthy since so it may just be bad luck/timing.

As a Michigan fan I've seen Penix play for a number of years while at Indiana. His passing has become even more dynamic but he doesn't seem to have the mobility he once displayed with regularity. Two ACL surgeries can do that. Unfortunate since the constant threat of his legs made him even more dangerous.
Didn't IU upset Michigan one year with Penix?
Yes they did .. Granted that was Penix with wheels.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I’m warming up to him. He doesn’t seem to have that special arm but then again a lot of guys are studs at the next level with high IQ play. If John takes him early I’ll be excited about it because that means he’s fully sold on him
I can't argue with that as John knows QB's

WarHawks

Reaction score
I don't know Jack, but to me he seems like a taller version of Purdy. He has moxy.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score

Ozzy

Reaction score
I honestly thought he would be a 2nd or 3rd round guy but I agree, it seems like a lot of draft guys have him in the first. This year is kind of fascinating because I think a few of these guys could move way up or down depending on what happens at the combine. JJ wasn't asked to do much, doesn't mean he cant though, so he could skyrocket once teams get close to him. Penix could be a top 5 guy or fall to the 3rd depending on what he does at the combine too because of his question marks. I'm excited to see how this all plays out. IF John falls in love with Mcarthy I'll be exicted about it even if I was skeptical as he is a much better QB evaluator than I am lol.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Remember at the combine when Stroud was just casually throwing darts all over the field, effortlessly and accurately? That's what we need. Not sure if JJ is that guy, but maybe he is. Time will tell.

Weadoption

Reaction score
i think he moves around in the pocket well and definitely can create plays with his mobility. I like him in the late first, ideally Hawks can trade down a bit for McCarthy.

12forlife

Reaction score
i think he moves around in the pocket well and definitely can create plays with his mobility. I like him in the late first, ideally Hawks can trade down a bit for McCarthy.

If J/S thinks he's our guy, then please don't get cute, and move down and someone swoop in and steal your guy.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Remember at the combine when Stroud was just casually throwing darts all over the field, effortlessly and accurately? That's what we need. Not sure if JJ is that guy, but maybe he is. Time will tell.
Stroud is an accurate thrower and if your looking for a prototypical pocket quarterback he's great. If you're looking for something more like Lamar Jackson but don't have a top 10-15 pick then McCarthy may be a better option.