Jeremy Lane placed on IR (Designated to Return)

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":1jcatge6 said:
kidhawk":1jcatge6 said:
hawknation2014":1jcatge6 said:
This opens up a spot for a CB. I wonder who it will be . . .

Terrell Thomas
Akeem Auguste
Champ Bailey (God forbid)
Keith Lewis
Someone else

Actually this opens a second spot. Our roster (with the signing of the OL recently) was at 52. This designation should put us at 51 while he's on Reserve. I'm certain we'll get another DB, but I wonder what we'll do with the other spot?

You sure? I show us at 52 with the Bates release, 53 with the McDonald signing today, back to 52 with Lane to IR, leaving us at 52 with a need at corner.

I miss something?

You're right. My Roster list is missing someone. I'll have to compare it to the one on .com and see which move I missed, but on the official roster it still shows Lane, but hasn't added McDonald yet, and we are at 52. If we add a CB, which I believe we will, we will be at 52. I still think we are overloaded on Receivers, so I expect a move to be made there eventually, but for now we just have the one spot open

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":be8sslpp said:
What'd Thurmond sign with the Giants, like one year for 3.5M?

I bet Pete and John wish they had a re-do on letting Thurmond go........should have known Simon couldn't stay healthy if he lived in a bubble.

Hopefully we can hang in there til Lane gets back, but this is much longer than anticipated. One more injury with the DB's and this turns into panic button time.

Somehow I doubt it on the redo. Thurmond had one strke against him on the drug suspension lists, he was a weed smoker and will likely get busted again. They have been burned with injuries to Simon and Lane but will find a candidate like Auguste to fill in for a few games until Simon returns. It is true Simon so far has been pretty injury prone and unreliable. Hope Lane doesn't require surgery for his groin.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1oak847x said:
It is true Simon so far has been pretty injury prone and unreliable. Hope Lane doesn't require surgery for his groin.

If Lane required major surgery I don't think he'd be "designated to return". They would have just IR'd him and moved on.

He'll be back in the 2nd half of the season. Better to have him during the tough divisional games anyway.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
jammerhawk":4z449xfl said:
It is true Simon so far has been pretty injury prone and unreliable. Hope Lane doesn't require surgery for his groin.

Simon wasn't playing last season anyway, he needed a lot of work. They would have stashed him on IR with a papercut if they could.

Calling him injury prone at this point is a pretty big stretch IMO.

northseahawk

Reaction score
Whatever happened to AJ Jefferson? Is he on the IR or got cut? I though he just had an ankle sprain. Liked Him in our system.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
northseahawk":984bsbx9 said:
Whatever happened to AJ Jefferson? Is he on the IR or got cut? I though he just had an ankle sprain. Liked Him in our system.

IR

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Why waste designated IR on Lane? This makes no sense. If Harvin, Wilson, or Russell "made of glass" Okung get significant injuries the team would be in deeper trouble than trying to replace a nickel back CB/solid ST at best. I don't agree with this move with Lane. They should have just IR'd him and told him see you next year.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Really hope a bigger name doesn't go down. Kind of a head-scratcher that they used our one IR-Return on Lane.

drdiags

Reaction score
Guess the team had 5 DBs in for a tryout today. Seems like one guy tweaked their interest

[tweet]https://twitter.com/drocksthaparty/status/509073470681268224[/tweet]

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Hard to predict injuries. The IR to return designation is interesting in that it gives teams a 8 week period with an extra roster spot. Hard to say what a 8 week injury really is. Maybe the FO is banking on any further loses will either be shorter term (a la Simon) or season ending.

Also, some of you may have forgotten that Shead can play corner as well (and held up pretty well in the preseason), but I agree that we're paper thin right now. I expect the Chargers and Broncos to spread us wide to try to soften us up. Burley held up pretty well against the pack and 10 days of coaching will only help. I think we'll sign another corner in the coming days. Hope someone other than Auguste is sitting at home waiting for this call.

I thinking about it, I think we should call champ bailey. Go to the superb owl and let him be on the other side of the a** whipping this time.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
They might just have to roll with Shead playing more dime, I think they'll look to add a guy but doubt he'll play all that much anyway.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't really think the designation for Lane is that perplexing.

They think Lane can return and thus put the designation on him rather than lose him for the entire season. Once one of your "must have" players has this kind of injury, you use the designation right away. It doesn't really matter who it is or if it's one of your elite guys -- at the end of the day, the results are the same. If Lane and Okung both suffer short term injuries, chances are we're not going to DQ either one for the entire season for a 6-8 week injury. What difference does it make if Okung gets the designation or Lane does? Either way, you only get one replacement spot. Basically, you have certain group of players above a certain level of "must-haveness." If any of them suffer a short-term injury, they get the tag. Everyone else you just keep on the roster until they heal.

It all amounts to the same thing at the end of the day. Personally, I don't think Lane is a guy you can simply IR for a 4-8 week injury, so this move makes all the sense in the world to me. You need him later on.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2r77u94v said:
Really hope a bigger name doesn't go down. Kind of a head-scratcher that they used our one IR-Return on Lane.

The alternative is to keep Lane on the roster and wait to use the IR-designated to return on a "big name" (instead of using it on Lane now and then just keeping the bigger name on the roster later). At the end of the day, it all amounts to the same thing, unless you think they should have just IR'ed him for a 5-8 week injury. Considering our current CB depth, that wouldn't have been prudent.

Cartire

Reaction score
DavidSeven":39vf3h6q said:

They think Lane can return and thus put the designation on him rather than lose him for the entire season. Once one of your "must have" players has this kind of injury, you use the designation right away. It doesn't really matter who it is or if it's one of your elite guys -- at the end of the day, the results are the same. If Lane and Okung both suffer short term injuries, chances are we're not going to DQ either one for the entire season for a 6-8 week injury. What difference does it make if Okung gets the designation or Lane does? Either way, you only get one replacement spot. Basically, you have certain group of players above a certain level of "must-haveness." If any of them suffer a short-term injury, they get the tag. Everyone else you just keep on the roster until they heal.

It all amounts to the same thing at the end of the day. Personally, I don't think Lane is a guy you can simply IR for a 4-8 week injury, so this move makes all the sense in the world to me. You need him later on.

Ummm, the difference for one, Lane is not a "Must Have" guy.

And #2, the difference being, now if lets say a bigger name goes down, thats a roster spot thats gone and cant be replaced if we want him to return this season. Lane is not that big of a player to say we "must have" him later in teh season.

Cartire

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3slloecc said:
HawkFan72":3slloecc said:

The alternative is to keep Lane on the roster and wait to use the IR-designated to return on a "big name" (instead of using it on Lane now and then just keeping the bigger name on the roster later). At the end of the day, it all amounts to the same thing, unless you think they should have just IR'ed him for a 5-8 week injury. Considering our current CB depth, that wouldn't have been prudent.

If its not that big of a deal, then just keep Lane on the roster. But obviously it is, or else they would have decided to put him on it with the need for the roster spot. Now, we have no choices down the road. We either lose a roster spot, or we lose the player for the whole season.

I guess this could be a case of risk vs reward. There going for no more major injuries.

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2fzphry2 said:
Wow.....................this sucks. This really hurts our pass defense. And of course we have to play the Broncos in 2 weeks................ugh..................

Video version of this quote
[youtube]y1gl1hd-Z44[/youtube]

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Cartire":3527y0cs said:
DavidSeven":3527y0cs said:

Ummm, the difference for one, Lane is not a "Must Have" guy.

And #2, the difference being, now if lets say a bigger name goes down, thats a roster spot thats gone and cant be replaced if we want him to return this season. Lane is not that big of a player to say we "must have" him later in teh season.

I think you're missing the point I'm making.

He got the designation because he was simply the first starter to get hurt (in SEA, nickel CB is basically a starter position). Once you start collecting injured starters, whoever gets the "IR-designated to return" is largely irrelevant. You just put it on whoever gets hurt for long-ish period of time first.

If a bigger name goes down later, you just hold him on the roster (just like you're advocating that we done with Lane now). What you're proposing is zero-sum. Assuming you want to save Lane for later, there is no practical benefit of placing the designation on a "bigger name" and holding Lane on the roster versus the alternative of putting the designation on Lane and holding the "bigger name" on the roster.

It all adds up to the same thing (assuming you don't want to sacrifice Lane for the whole season) -- you have Injured Player #1 on IR w/ return; Injured Player #2 using up a roster spot. Doesn't really matter what the names are.

If we were talking about some ST or depth player who we're fine with cutting, then it'd be a different story.

EXAMPLE:

Percy Harvin and Jeremy Lane both diagnosed with 6 week injuries.

Option 1: Put Lane on IR w/ designation to return; keep Harvin on roster.
Option 2: Put Harvin on IR w/ designation to return; keep Lane on roster.

Both options lead to the same road.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven is right. There is functionally no difference between holding an injured Lane on the roster vs. holding an injured star player on the roster. In the end, it's all the same, so you might as well use the IR designation at the first opportunity and enjoy its benefits.

Below is the FULL LIST of all NFL players that have received this IR designation in 2014 so far:

Chicago Bears- Marquess Wilson
Dallas Cowboys- Demarcus Lawrence
Detroit Lions- Kyle Van Noy
Green Bay Packers- J.C. Tretter
Indianapolis Colts- Xavier Nixon
Kansas City Chiefs- Joe Mays
New Orleans Saints- Khairi Fortt
New York Giants- Geoff Schwartz
San Francisco 49ers- Glenn Dorsey
Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Charles Sims
Seattle Seahawks- Jeremy Lane

Not exactly a big list of who's who players is it?