Jeff Chadiha article on Wilson (ESPN)

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":3tm9fdy0 said:
He probably gets paid well too, while I'm struggling. I'm better than him!

In life, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Media rhetoric - Two Words: Doesn't Matter.

Just the fact that everyone is comparing Wilson to former #1 and #2 OVERALL picks should be all you need to know about what we have...

With that said...I honestly believe that the sign of a great player is that he also elevates the play of all those AROUND him. When you are surrounded by studs, you get lost in all that studliness!

HansGruber

Reaction score
Stopped reading when I came upon this lovely tidbit in paragraph 4:

"Wilson flew under the radar for at least half the year, while most people around the league slowly discovered how potent the Seahawks really were."

OK, so the author obviously didn't watch any Seahawks games or actually watch Wilson last season. Not even sure how an editor let this one past. I mean is there any field in journalism where so-called journalists are allowed to write articles with such an obvious lack of knowledge of their subject? Maybe the editorial section and that's about it.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2ni8rv7o said:
this idea that defenses weren't "trying hard" or "had no film" on rookie QB's is idiotic at best.

There was plenty of film on wilson by the time the playoffs rolled around, that didn't stop him from throwing for 400 yards against atlanta.

Yep. This argument is inane. I was debating with a few friends of mine a few months ago - one a Whiners fan and one a Viqueens fan (don't judge me, other than those massive character flaws they are good peeps) - and that was there big angle on Wilson, that "he won't surprise anyone, now they have film" blah blah blah. I said that might be almost valid if Wilson started playing in like week 15 last season, not every game...and that teams have a whole week every week to prepare for an opponent, so that garbage is lame.

HansGruber

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2qaxusj4 said:
Hawknballs":2qaxusj4 said:
this idea that defenses weren't "trying hard" or "had no film" on rookie QB's is idiotic at best.

There was plenty of film on wilson by the time the playoffs rolled around, that didn't stop him from throwing for 400 yards against atlanta.

Yep. This argument is inane. I was debating with a few friends of mine a few months ago - one a Whiners fan and one a Viqueens fan (don't judge me, other than those massive character flaws they are good peeps) - and that was there big angle on Wilson, that "he won't surprise anyone, now they have film" blah blah blah. I said that might be almost valid if Wilson started playing in like week 15 last season, not every game...and that teams have a whole week every week to prepare for an opponent, so that garbage is lame.

Yeah, the "we've got film on him now" argument really only applies to one-trick ponies, QBs who do one thing really well or who have habits that you can pinpoint. Guys who are somewhat predictable.

Russell Wilson is not one of those types. In fact, what made him so good last season was his ability to improvise. How do you plan for someone whose best weapon is improvisation? And by improvisation, it's not just his ability to scramble. He's equally as good at reading the defense and audibling to take advantage of what he's seeing. Sure, he's not Peyton Manning yet, but he's pretty good at it. Carroll has said they plan on taking advantage of that, and designing the offense to give Wilson more flexibility with the audibles.

One of the more absurd and lazy points in that article was to compare Wilson to Newton, as if they are anything alike at all. Cam Newton and Russell Wilson are almost polar opposites. Cam is a big athletic freak with amazing speed but a limited skill set and limited intelligence. His own coaches have commented anonymously to PFT that he struggles to remember plays, struggles to read defenses, and has a very hard time adjusting to the game. Wilson is small, has limited speed, but a very strong skill set (play action, throwing accuracy, etc) and a very high intelligence.

But again, what do you expect when you read any national sports articles? They're not written for fans of the teams they're writing about. They're written to feed into national prejudices and thought patterns, because they're trying to sell to the lowest common denominator, and people want to hear things that support their own beliefs, regardless of how mistaken they may be. That's just human nature.

sc85sis

Reaction score
kearly":330ognn8 said:
Scottemojo":330ognn8 said:
He says on air his take was based on stats. Which means he doesn't take into account red zone stats, ypa, or common sense. And this idea that he had it easy because of his team's skill ignores that this team was teetering on missing the playoffs until Russell took over.

And the dumbass admits that if Russell were 6'3" the conversation never happens.

It's not very often I can't sit through an interview on the radio, but I couldn't make it more than 10 minutes listening to him attempt logic. He made several statements that I believe are factually disputable (Wilson vs. Newton's arm strength, size being a form of athleticism, that Wilson faced no adversity(!) etc), but I made it through that. But then he compared Wilson to Alex Smith, and I turned the dial immediately. A statement like that proved that he was a lost cause. How utterly lacking in common sense can you be?

Also, regarding the ceiling comments several people have made as a point against Wilson. Drew Brees is one of the most prolific QBs of all time, and even he's said that Wilson has more potential than he did because of the mobility factor. If you went and said that Newton or Kaepernick had a higher ceiling than Drew Brees, you'd be laughed out of the room, and rightfully so. But it's okay to say that they have a higher ceiling than a QB that even Drew Brees is in awe of? Stupidity at it's finest.
Some of the best athletes in the world are jockeys. They have to be able to stay in a crouched position on the balls of their feet, control a horse at a full gallop and avoid running into the other jockeys who are doing the same thing. And they do it while not being able to eat like regular athletes can because they can't risk any weight gain.

This guy should try to tell a jockey that he or she is too short to be athletic. He'd probably get his butt kicked.