Jarran Reed is playing like one of the best - film study

Lagartixa

Reaction score
That makes two film-study videos saying the same thing that have been posted here in the last few days.
Both must be clickbait nonsense, because experts around here have been assuring us that Reed is playing out of position and the Seahawks need a "real" NT.
Further, in this video, "Griff" (whoever that is - this is on Matty F. Brown's channel, and Matty F. Brown is the English dude who looks and sounds like a fourteen-year-old (but that doesn't mean his analysis isn't good), while "Griff" sounds like an adult American man) says that some of Reed's outstanding performance this year, as opposed to how he looked for the Packers last year, is Hurtt scheming the defense in a way that allows Reed to take advantage of his strengths. I know that's impossible, because several experts around here have stated repeatedly that Hurtt doesn't know how to scheme a defense.

Crazy. If I were to pay attention to these videos, I might almost actually start to wonder if the Seahawks coaching staff might possibly know more about football than the experts posting here. I mean, that's obviously impossible.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
When Pete said Jarran Reed would be one of the best nose tackles in the game, I thought he was crazy. Pete got that one right. Reed is playing out of his mind.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A LOT of people in here told us that Reed was an over the hill journeyman and we should have kept Al Woods.

Good to see Reed is proving those doubters wrong. Jones should be giving Reed some of his salary, cause he's not playing nearly as well as Jarren.

Reactions: LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm pretty much X's and O's illiterate but when I found out we got Reed back I was thrilled. He's exactly what we needed at that position.

Health and wearing down due to his age is all we have to worry about Reed, and that is a real concern. With Morris going down, it's imperative as much as Pete and Hurtt love how Reed's playing? They need to keep his snap count down.

What did Pete say Monday, Reed was playing with a grade 2 groin strain? So he's already getting dinged up.

Rat

Reaction score
A LOT of people in here told us that Reed was an over the hill journeyman and we should have kept Al Woods.

Good to see Reed is proving those doubters wrong. Jones should be giving Reed some of his salary, cause he's not playing nearly as well as Jarren.
Was there really anything to suggest something like this was probable though? I didn't hate the signing (didn't cost enough to preclude further upgrades), but I thought it was nowhere near enough and that he would top out at average rotation piece.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Was there really anything to suggest something like this was probable though? I didn't hate the signing (didn't cost enough to preclude further upgrades), but I thought it was nowhere near enough and that he would top out at average rotation piece.

Not sure what fans were expecting after handing over so much to Jones, and still needing to sign more players because you turned over your entire interior D-line.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Health and wearing down due to his age is all we have to worry about Reed, and that is a real concern. With Morris going down, it's imperative as much as Pete and Hurtt love how Reed's playing? They need to keep his snap count down.

What did Pete say Monday, Reed was playing with a grade 2 groin strain? So he's already getting dinged up.
Reed played about half the defensive snaps (42/79), so they are trying to keep him fresh. Cam Young played the other NT snaps. Bryan Mone should return after the bye, so we will have the option to spell him more as the season wears on.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
IDL snap percentages per OTC thru 3 games .......

Jarran Reed ........... 63.3%
Dre Mont Jones ....... 61.5%
Mario Edwards JR ... 41.6%
Cameron Young ...... 17.7%
Myles Adams .......... 11.9%

JPatera76

Reaction score
I'm pretty much X's and O's illiterate but when I found out we got Reed back I was thrilled. He's exactly what we needed at that position.
not to mention all he did was go back to his natural position he played in college. So he’s playing in a position of strength and familiarity for him

Polk738

Reaction score

I think that is mostly because we were expecting the Seahawks to run more of a 3 man front on the D-line where a traditional NT is upwards of 340lbs, but that is simply not the case because Reed is playing more of a 1-tech in a 4-3 style out of the 2-4-5 nickel base front with a 2 high shell.

renofox

Reaction score
I think that is mostly because we were expecting the Seahawks to run more of a 3 man front on the D-line where a traditional NT is upwards of 340lbs, but that is simply not the case because Reed is playing more of a 1-tech in a 4-3 style out of the 2-4-5 nickel base front with a 2 high shell.
This is what I am seeing, also.

JR is basically playing DT in a 4-3, lining up in 1tech and 3tech, and doing a great job.

The OLBs are playing as 4-3 DEs nearly every snap - extremely rare to see one of them drop into coverage and it appears they're focused on setting the edge nearly every play.

In other words, PC is basically running a 4-3 in nickel almost every down, which means our basic alignment is 4-2-5 with undersized DEs. If you're asking undersized DEs to make setting the edge their #1 priority, you're doing it wrong. Why are you acquiring twitchy (but smaller than DE) OLB/EDGE across the board if you aren't focusing on rushing the passer? Makes no sense.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Not buying it, dude is old and washed. Isn't a good fit and will be out of position. PCxJS ignored the interior DL and deserve to get axed as a result.

Ha.

Polk738

Reaction score
This is what I am seeing, also.

JR is basically playing DT in a 4-3, lining up in 1tech and 3tech, and doing a great job.

The OLBs are playing as 4-3 DEs nearly every snap - extremely rare to see one of them drop into coverage and it appears they're focused on setting the edge nearly every play.

In other words, PC is basically running a 4-3 in nickel almost every down, which means our basic alignment is 4-2-5 with undersized DEs. If you're asking undersized DEs to make setting the edge their #1 priority, you're doing it wrong. Why are you acquiring twitchy (but smaller than DE) OLB/EDGE across the board if you aren't focusing on rushing the passer? Makes no sense.
I don't believe that is true, Boye Mafe has been great so far at setting the edge, if anything they all have been better at setting the edge this season compared to last year, that and the nickel is getting involved in the run fits as well, this is huge as it essentially allows them to cover all gaps while staying in a 2 high shell- I'm curious to see if they will use Jamal Adams as a big nickel in this role like they did with Devin Bush against the Panthers

renofox

Reaction score
I don't believe that is true, Boye Mafe has been great so far at setting the edge, if anything they all have been better at setting the edge this season compared to last year, that and the nickel is getting involved in the run fits as well, this is huge as it essentially allows them to cover all gaps while staying in a 2 high shell- I'm curious to see if they will use Jamal Adams as a big nickel in this role like they did with Devin Bush against the Panthers
Yes, our DEs have been doing a good job of setting the edge, BUT it has severely hampered their ability to rush the passer.

Sacks after 3 games, all DEs;
Mafe 1
Taylor 0
Nwosu 0
Hall 0

Extrapolated to 18 games would be a total of 6 sacks for all OLB/EDGE.

Against the passing game, having 2 ILB, 3 Saf, and 2 CB in coverage is a good thing, in general. But when a decent NFL QB knows he will have 2+ seconds before even a hint of pressure, his confidence and ability to execute will skyrocket.

Seahawks have guys who rely on speed/twitch to get to the QB (OLB/EDGE) but they're consistently being given assignments more suited to larger guys with more power (4-3 DE). It's like they think these guys all have Michael Bennett's level of skill and athleticism. MB was a rare dude.

iow, I just don't think the sceme/philosophy actually fits the personnel we currently have.

Last year, they got hammered by trying to run a 3-4 while having mostly 4-3 personnel. This year, they got rid of those guys and acquired 3-4 personnel but basically are running a 4-3.

I may be wrong, but I've kept an eye on formations trying to pay attention to their 3-4 philosophy and seeing 3 IDL on the field at the same time has been basically non-existent. I'm just trying to figure out wtf they are doing because it makes no sense.

LTH

Reaction score

I think a factor that is being over looked is that Reed thrives in Carroll's culture. Also nose is his natural position.

LTH

Polk738

Reaction score
Seahawks have guys who rely on speed/twitch to get to the QB (OLB/EDGE) but they're consistently being given assignments more suited to larger guys with more power (4-3 DE). It's like they think these guys all have Michael Bennett's level of skill and athleticism. MB was a rare dude.

You do realize that Boye Mafe and Cliff Avril are basically the same size right?

Boye Mafe 6-4 265
Cliff Avril 6-3 260

Uchenna Nwosu 6-2 251
Chris Clemons 6-3 255

Bruce Irvin 6-3 250
Derick Hall 6-3 254

This is just a small sample size but my point is, is that the guys we have now aren't drastically different than the players we had before, there is more to a pass rush than just sacks, yes sacks are great but so are pressures, hurries and QB hits as well, Andy Dalton threw the ball 60 times last Sunday, NO team wants to do that, it is very unbalanced and risky, they made them very one dimensional that game which is good.

Michael Bennett was a rarity as he was probably the closest thing they had to an Aaron Donald type of player, he could basically line up anywhere on that D-line and give teams problems, Darrell Taylor was maybe supposed to be this type of player for PC but I don't think it panned out that way.