Jamal Adam’s to weakside linebacker?

Echawks

Reaction score
Just saw an article where it looks like love and diggs will get safety duty with Neal as a floater role and Adam’s will plug in at a blitzing LB role.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Neal should get big money somewhere, but otherwise I agree with the thought process.

Mick063

Reaction score
Adams is not a "point of attack" type guy. He makes a living by chasing people down. He doesn't have enough sand in the bucket to hold up against pulling guards and motion tight ends. He is not even close to being in the same stratosphere as Kam Chancellor with respect to taking on blockers at the point of attack. Like I said, he is a pursuit guy.

Here is what will happen, and the opposing quarterbacks will rehearse it the week leading up to the game. Every. Single. Time.
1) Pre snap read to see which side Adams is lined up at.
2) Check into a play to run directly at Adams because running AT him will totally neutralize his effectiveness as a pursuit guy.
3) Put a tight end in motion from the strong side to specifically find the "Will" linebacker (Adams) or conversely pull a guard to serve the same purpose.

If light, fast, undersized guys could routinely deploy as a Will linebacker, the league would be chock full of them and even if it was routinely done, they would be highly specialized in defensive packages intended for use on predictable passing downs only. A player intended to defeat pass blockers, not run blockers. In other words, a highly specialized player, with very little diversity, that is devouring a significant portion of the salary cap.

"Luxury", rotational players are not typically among the highest paid players on a NFL team. Adams can be a blitzing terror. Thats about it. Used as a safety, Adams couldn't find the ball if it stuck in his face mask. HE FLAT OUT SUCKS in coverage.

Last edited:

DJrmb

Reaction score
Adams hasn't been able to stay healthy playing safety. Is he really going to be able to play more than a few games playing linebacker banging with lineman almost every play?

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Doubt it. Adams is still our best safety if he's healthy.
Disagree with that thought. Safety’s need the ability to catch and cover he has neither. Adams is an old school in the box safety that is now a dead breed in todays NFL that discourages hard hitting defenses

nanomoz

Reaction score
He can't stay healthy as a safety. I have a hard time seeing him stay on the field if he's in traffic even more often.

Rat

Reaction score
How the hell did we get hoodwinked into that trade? I still want to know if there were even any competing offers.