It’s a system thing

nwHawk

Reaction score
For those that complain that Pete’s system is outdated and that he can only win if he has elite players, tell me what other NFL coach is killing it with average talent. What coach is taking average Joe’s and making them champs these days?

I see a lot of “has been” coaches and up and comer failures which leads me to believe you have to have the right system, mindset, leadership and talent to succeed. Even then you need a little luck.

Are fans just wining? Or what?

chris98251

Reaction score
nwHawk":3tjsnd2y said:
For those that complain that Pete’s system is outdated and that he can only win if he has elite players, tell me what other NFL coach is killing it with average talent. What coach is taking average Joe’s and making them champs these days?

I see a lot of “has been” coaches and up and comer failures which leads me to believe you have to have the right system, mindset, leadership and talent to succeed. Even then you need a little luck.

Belichick, Arians, Arians has past their prime talent but gets it done by pushing his no name talent hard as well.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Bill for sure, Arians has plenty of talent. He had it in Pittsburgh, Indy, AZ (at times) and definitely in TB.

I’m not saying you, but I read crap all the time that makes it seem like any coach could get this team to the big dance. I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as many make it out to be.

chris98251

Reaction score
nwHawk":y8i7i4qb said:
Bill for sure, Arians has plenty of talent. He had it in Pittsburgh, Indy, AZ (at times) and definitely in TB.

I’m not saying you, but I read crap all the time that makes it seem like any coach could get this team to the big dance. I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as many make it out to be.

All you have to do is look at teams that assembled supposed Dream teams, Talent that doesn't work together or is forced to play to something that isn't to their strengths have failed many times. That can be coaching and or assembly.

Dream teams Snyder tried to put together, Philly tried it a few times as well and there are others.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Fish rot from the head down, so when I see the leader of the team as weak I expect the team to fail. Great cast of has been or whatever, it take an alpha, or better yet a few, to keep things in check. Every team and organization has a few that run their mouth and you need someone to refocus the crew.

LTH

Reaction score
nwHawk":1aaofykc said:

Yep!

This has been a really bizarre season. I don't think it's typical and I think it's emotionally hard for a lot of fans because it's not what they are used to.

It's just reaction to a disappointing season

LTH

chris98251

Reaction score
LTH":alh9sjup said:
nwHawk":alh9sjup said:

Yep!

This has been a really bizarre season. I don't think it's typical and I think it's emotionally hard for a lot of fans because it's not what they are used to.

It's just reaction to a disappointing season

LTH

New Fans maybe, those of us here from the beginning appreciated it and had foretold this was coming and to enjoy it while it was here.

LTH

Reaction score
Well.... Thanks for sharing LMAO!!!!!

LTH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
When you have a top 5 QB in the league, you need to be able to accomplish more than Pete has the past 6 years.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3tqdrh9j said:
When you have a top 5 QB in the league, you need to be able to accomplish more than Pete has the past 6 years.

When you have a top 5 QB in the league, he needs to get the ball out on time to his open receivers and play like a top 5 QB rather than keeping his offense off balance and off schedule.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":15yct1yh said:
pittpnthrs":15yct1yh said:

When you have a top 5 QB in the league, he needs to get the ball out on time to his open receivers and play like a top 5 QB rather than keeping his offense off balance and off schedule.
:ditto:

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":mnijlklp said:
pittpnthrs":mnijlklp said:

When you have a top 5 QB in the league, he needs tyards.

he ball out on time to his open receivers and play like a top 5 QB rather than keeping his offense off balance and off schedule.

:pukeface:

Northhawk

Reaction score
nwHawk":3qwdim3s said:

Player selection is part of any "system". I don't think you can separate the two. The biggest factor in the team's slight (until this season) drop has been drafting and FA signings. Snyder and Pete have not been able to assemble the team needed for the Carroll's style of play. That goes for most positions.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":2wppz17u said:
Maelstrom787":2wppz17u said:
pittpnthrs":2wppz17u said:

When you have a top 5 QB in the league, he needs tyards.

he ball out on time to his open receivers and play like a top 5 QB rather than keeping his offense off balance and off schedule.

:pukeface:

Yes, I know. You've grown quite fearful of the idea of a quarterback actually spreading the ball out effectively around the field, on time and decisively, to his open receivers.

After all, people tend to fear the unknown.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Football is football.

Play good defense, run the ball effectively, don't turn the ball over, be physical, play great special teams....and you're going to give yourself a good chance to win.

What I see as our problems are;

1. Big decrease in drafting and acquiring players, specifically on the defensive side of the ball. Lack of physicality and playmaker.

2. Lack of finding a dependable and effective RB. We've tried with keeping Carson and drafting Penny, but hasn't worked out due to injuries to regain that Lynch era physical and dependable run game.

3. Disconnect and dysfunction between the QB and head coach. Coach wants to run the ball to open up explosive play action and minimize turnovers, and QB wants the offense to go through him and his perceived strengths.

So no, Pete's schemes aren't wrong. He and John haven't done a good enough job of implementing them, and Pete can't find a happy medium of what that scheme should be and how to make his QB happy.

justafan

Reaction score
Belechik and Brady shouldnt be a comparison. Thats historic.

Even with great talent and coaching, to win a SB you need chemistry,culture,team fabric,fate,luck or call it what you want. Its more than xs and os and it takes more than having a top 5 QB and the best players. Time outs in the 1st quarter dont cost a team SB and saving it doesnt win one. SB winners are more than the sum of the parts.

In 19 and 20 I think Carrol did some of his best coaching. He had this team ready to play almost every week. Winning 23 in the regular season. The 13 and 14 teams won 25 with a huge talent gap.
Who would have thought we would have had a chance to beat the Packers in Lambeau with ML coming out of retirement. We had worse odds against against us with 5 mins left in 2014.
I know we have lost in the playoffs but so have some of the greatest coaches and players in history.

They used to say Madden and Stabler couldnt win the big one.Maybe he wins 2 or 3 if the Imacculate reception never happened. Maybe he wins 0 if Pitt would have had there 2 1000 yrd runners in the playoffs in 76. There was a time Landry couldnt win the big one.
I know people think we should have won 2,3 or even 4. But we were fortunate to win 1 and get into 2. When we won it I remember telling myself it will never get better than this. Im okay with that. Maybe thats why I still love watching them play and dont go crazy when we have A losing season.

AgentDib

Reaction score
chris98251":33fkb15q said:
Belichick, Arians, Arians has past their prime talent but gets it done by pushing his no name talent hard as well.
You have to be either sarcastic or joking about Arians. He went to a team absolutely loaded with good young talent that was only missing a QB, then brought in Tom Brady.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":6ujk7oet said:
1. Big decrease in drafting and acquiring players, specifically on the defensive side of the ball. Lack of physicality and playmaker.
I agree this is the biggest issue, but in my view this failure is largely due to a lack of draft capital. That's partly due to NFL design but also largely due to them trading away draft capital and future talent for the short term gain of current players. The fix that I want to see here is us hanging onto draft capital, trading down, and then generating more draft capital by trading some players before we extend them (ala Frank Clark), and making sure we get our three compensatory picks every season. Our draft return looks solid when you look at it in terms of how much draft capital we've spent (way too little).

2. Lack of finding a dependable and effective RB. We've tried with keeping Carson and drafting Penny, but hasn't worked out due to injuries to regain that Lynch era physical and dependable run game.
RB injuries have been a huge factor against us, but I think we solve it with quantity if you look at how there are no durable RBs around the NFL these days. Bring in two more guys every year, don't pay anybody and take the comp picks when they sign as UFAs elsewhere.

3. Disconnect and dysfunction between the QB and head coach. Coach wants to run the ball to open up explosive play action and minimize turnovers, and QB wants the offense to go through him and his perceived strengths.
The question here is if Russ could be happy in that 25-30 pass range where he's had really effective but lower volume games. Jets last season he was 21-27 with just 206 yards, but converted a bunch of third downs and threw 4 TDs in his best game of the second half of the season. Ultimately I think Russ does want to win, so if we think he can still execute that sort of game plan then we need him to buy into how effective it is.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2qyifekw said:
pittpnthrs":2qyifekw said:

Yeah he's been terrible for 6 years now. Maybe the problem is an Oline that hasent been good for years, a defense thats a laughing stock for half seasons, a coach with entirely way too much power that cant game plan, admits to not understanding what other teams are doing, has been terrible at drafting and over paying for FA's, is always slow to adapt whether its in game adjustments or his entire antiquated, outdated philosophy, has a mindset to play not to lose instead of playing to win, and has no future vision and is convinced the state of the team is just fine going forward.

I am 100% convinced the majority of the coaches in the NFL would have gotten more out of the Seahawks than Pete Carroll did the past 6 years.