Is the FO cheap?

nwHawk

Reaction score
Cheap, no. They spend top dollar for guys they see as crucial to their system.

They always have a plan, it doesn't always work. Sometimes it does. Last year fans went nuts about how they spent their cap dollar, yet they still squeaked out a 12-4 record.

Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Kevin Williams, Jason Meyers, etc... all worked out just fine. Every now and again this FO takes a risk on JAG, such as trading for a some scrub undersized DE name Chris Clemmons (that everyone on this board was originally pissed about) and that guy blossoms. I think you could put Brandon Shell in the category. Is he Clemmons, nope, but he was underrated last year until he got hurt.

Their moneyball version is a roller coaster ride, but as long as the wins keep piling up I'll enjoy the ride.

TreeRon

Reaction score
For example:
They pass on proven top10 left guard A that wants $10 mil.
They sign mediocre guard B for $3 mil
They sign mediocre guard C for $4 mil
and they sign guard on last legs for $2 mil.
In Hawks world it's always compete.
Opening game we've got B and C for $7 mil neither of whom can play the position worth a dang.

Fade

Reaction score
TreeRon":bzens7rk said:
For example:
Opening game we've got B and C for $7 mil neither of whom can play the position worth a dang.

Yes.

Big Free Agents will not sign a 4 yr deal with rolling guarantees, thus Seattle wind up signing short term rental JAGs instead to fill their needs.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Fade":2d67gdqi said:
TreeRon":2d67gdqi said:
For example:

Yes.

Big Free Agents will not sign a 4 yr deal with rolling guarantees, thus Seattle wind up signing short term rental JAGs instead to fill their needs.

Not to nit pick, but they're not really filling "their needs" they're filling a space. A big body that just might get in the way for a few micro-seconds

Fade

Reaction score
TreeRon":3fujhv1u said:
Fade":3fujhv1u said:
TreeRon":3fujhv1u said:
For example:

Yes.

Not to nit pick, but they're not really filling "their needs" they're filling a space. A big body that just might get in the way for a few micro-seconds

I Agree 100%, but in their minds, they are filling their needs. It is what it is.

getnasty

Reaction score
Can anyone name a team that spends like crazy and is successful?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Fade":2ms3weki said:
TreeRon":2ms3weki said:
Fade":2ms3weki said:
TreeRon":2ms3weki said:
For example:

Yes.

I Agree 100%, but in their minds, they are filling their needs. It is what it is.
The sad part is both Conkin and Glasgow came at reasonable prices and played at very high levels last year, and they were young.

pinksheets

Reaction score
getnasty":1q9luk37 said:
Can anyone name a team that spends like crazy and is successful?
I don't think the line is "spends like crazy". We have some glaring holes and almost no draft capital.

The team needs to get better in a big way one way or another.

AKNFidel

Reaction score
Seahawks would rather send draft pick to other teams and take on bad contract others teams negotiated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fade

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1vy0dfxv said:
Fade":1vy0dfxv said:
TreeRon":1vy0dfxv said:
Fade":1vy0dfxv said:
Yes.

The sad part is both Conkin and Glasgow came at reasonable prices and played at very high levels last year, and they were young.
Conklin was who I wanted, but the big Free Agents want 5 years with the first 2 guaranteed. Seahawks only off 4 years, 1yr rolling, Blue Chips will never agree to that.

Got to hope they get lucky on some JAGs, Shell was descent last year.

Own The West

Reaction score
Fade":3n36bg35 said:
Spin Doctor":3n36bg35 said:
Fade":3n36bg35 said:
TreeRon":3n36bg35 said:

Conklin was who I wanted, but the big Free Agents want 5 years with the first 2 guaranteed. Seahawks only off 4 years, 1yr rolling, Blue Chips will never agree to that.

I don't think it's fair to cite Conklin and Glasgow as fails because they outplayed their contracts. For every Jack Conklin, there's a dozen Jadeveon Clowneys. Anyone want to praise our FO for letting him walk? No?

You can't cherry pick success stories from around the league and say our FO sucks.

Someone complained above that we paid 3 linemen $10M instead of getting 1 marquee linemen for $10M. Great! And what if your marquee lineman doesn't work out? Now you're out $10M, it's mid-season, and your cupboard is bare.

When we went after Duane Brown, we had Joekel or Fant as our LT, and then only risked one year if he didn't work out. Similar situation with Adams this year. We had a plan B at safety, and got him while only risking 1 year (this year has no dead money).

That doesn't sound cheap or dumb. That sounds frugal and smart.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Own The West":3fkshegk said:
When we went after Duane Brown, we had Joekel or Fant as our LT, and then only risked one year if he didn't work out. Similar situation with Adams this year. We had a plan B at safety, and got him while only risking 1 year (this year has no dead money).

Joekel and Fant are the reasons Brown was brought in. They are the JAGS we are talking about.

Plan B at safety? What exactly was that? You dont give two 1sts, a 3rd, and a player for a one year rent a player. Adams is pretty much holding the Seahawks prisoner right now. You think people are complaining about Wilsons contract, wait until you see what they end up paying a safety. A safety that cant cover and is going to be coming off of multiple surgeries. It was a horrible trade and if they dont sign him long term after next season, it will go down as one of the worst trades ever. When they do resign him, it will handicap the team for years. Adams was Petes 'going all in' pickup and it failed miserably. Another 1st round exit.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Not cheap. They spend to resign their players. Sherman, Thomas, and Wilson have been the highest paid at their positions for a time and other players they have resigned at high cost. It leaves them trying to fill a plethora of openings with not enough to spend, thus the hunting in the bargain bin for a undiscovered gem which has mix results. More bad then good with the bargain basement deals.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Own The West":p2bg58hx said:
Fade":p2bg58hx said:
Spin Doctor":p2bg58hx said:
Fade":p2bg58hx said:

I don't think it's fair to cite Conklin and Glasgow as fails because they outplayed their contracts. For every Jack Conklin, there's a dozen Jadeveon Clowneys. Anyone want to praise our FO for letting him walk? No?

You can't cherry pick success stories from around the league and say our FO sucks.

Someone complained above that we paid 3 linemen $10M instead of getting 1 marquee linemen for $10M. Great! And what if your marquee lineman doesn't work out? Now you're out $10M, it's mid-season, and your cupboard is bare.

Except it is not frugal or smart, and it's not working for us. How's one of the worst pass blocking lines in the NFL 7 years running treating us? We're filling our line with high priced bodies that aren't doing jack. Our QB is getting destroyed, and we are unable to run the ball consistently.

It's not just Conklin and Glasgow either, it's pretty common highly regarded O-Lineman workout -- in fact Tobeck and Chris Grey were both free agent lineman for the Seahawks back in the day. Tobeck was a pretty large signing. We're trying the same thing over, and over again, and getting the same results, trash lines.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
All i can say is the FO has not done well enough in the draft or in FA the last few years. If i was the owner i would never have extended Pete and John not for 5 years. We have alot of problems in Seahawks land and Ownership needs to get there act together .

I do think that Pete and John have worn out there welcome here in Seattle, to the point that i doubt there will be many defenders of them if this season doesn't go well at least among the fans.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Look, we need O linemen. We need a left guard and possibly a center. Left guard for sure. Can we please sign a quality proven left guard if available. If we do not, our center's play will break down and we'll be facing a gaping hole right up the middle all season long.
I don't give SH-t about anything else right now, just sign a quality LG.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Other than Dunlap im not too fussed on the other players leaving so far. Griffins contract seems an overpay and Carsons probably will be too.

Would like some offensive linemen soon though.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Not sure how many times it's been posted but ill do it again. The teams that spend big in FA, are also the teams that are picking high in the next draft. Spending on high priced free agent never seems to work out. Seattle, Green Bay, before this year New England would always sit out the first phase of FA and have had sustained success.

Also - when paying your QB ungodly amounts of money, it's hard to compete for the big time FA's on day 1. Salary cap is there and is the great equalizer.

Fade

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3i84cksc said:
Not sure how many times it's been posted but ill do it again. The teams that spend big in FA, are also the teams that are picking high in the next draft. Spending on high priced free agent never seems to work out. Seattle, Green Bay, before this year New England would always sit out the first phase of FA and have had sustained success.

Also - when paying your QB ungodly amounts of money, it's hard to compete for the big time FA's on day 1. Salary cap is there and is the great equalizer.

Mahomes is the highest paid QB in the league by a lot. They signed the #1 O-Lineman in Free Agency. The QB making a lot holds no water if you pay attention to the rest of the league. The difference is other teams choose to emphasize and invest in O-Line. The Seahawks clearly do not value O-Line the same way other teams do.

New England are huge spenders in Free Agency this year, and Green Bay were big spenders in Free Agency in 2019 as well.

Your examples are terrible. :D

The Seahawks have spent only a single 1st rd pick on O-Line in the last 8 drafts. (Most of Wilson's career.) And rank 32nd in O-Line spending since 2014.

Furthermore, the actual argument is:

1) Pay 3 journeyman O-Lineman $10M.

-OR-

2) Pay 1 stud O-Lineman $10M.

You're paying the same, just how are you choosing to spend it. The Seahawks continue to choose option 1. It is what it is.