Is anyone surprised ?

AgentDib

Reaction score
John63":135b3obo said:
If Wilson is not ready they should hold him out. If he is ready they should not. That's up to PC, that's why he is the coach and if he is unwilling to make the decision then we need a new coach who will.
I've seen a few people suggesting this and it would be nice if we lived in a world where this was the case. I'm perfectly fine with people passing blame upwards to Pete because he is in the one at the top and ultimately responsible. But humans aren't robots, and there isn't a head coach on this planet who would bench a superstar QB if they were fully cleared by the medical staff and adamant about playing.

Just imagine if Carroll had started Geno over Russ's wishes. The offense would have still struggled to some degree given the weather conditions, GBs defense and our other issues. After last off-season, can anybody really say with a straight face that not one person in Russ's camp would have leaked that he had wanted to play but was benched? That would only cause further internal turmoil and nobody would be defending the decision to start Geno.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":swn0cy1z said:
So ......... will Russell be the best choice for the game next week?

Not a "rattled Russ". There was far more than a finger injury going on in that game! He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a pass, and made some ridiculous decisions.

toffee

Reaction score
AgentDib":3mmje5wy said:
John63":3mmje5wy said:
If Wilson is not ready they should hold him out. If he is ready they should not. That's up to PC, that's why he is the coach and if he is unwilling to make the decision then we need a new coach who will.
I've seen a few people suggesting this and it would be nice if we lived in a world where this was the case. I'm perfectly fine with people passing blame upwards to Pete because he is in the one at the top and ultimately responsible. But humans aren't robots, and there isn't a head coach on this planet who would bench a superstar QB if they were fully cleared by the medical staff and adamant about playing.

Just imagine if Carroll had started Geno over Russ's wishes. The offense would have still struggled to some degree given the weather conditions, GBs defense and our other issues. After last off-season, can anybody really say with a straight face that not one person in Russ's camp would have leaked that he had wanted to play but was benched? That would only cause further internal turmoil and nobody would be defending the decision to start Geno.

this

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
AgentDib":8kwj56lo said:
John63":8kwj56lo said:

Yes there is, one is in New England and another is in Tampa.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
You have to factor in, it's different blocking for a mobile guy like Russ, and our line can't block for any QB. It's a bit akin to blocking for Barry Sanders. I also don't know how great he's actually feeling. Sure maybe he can throw, but maybe he's zoned out on painkillers to play?

That wasn't the best RW, I didn't see, but members whose opinions I respect, and members who were there saw it.

He shouldn't have been played. If he's on anything stronger than ibuprofen for pain IMO he shouldn't be playing, not at least at that position.

God I hate saying it but Tom Cable is missed. He wasn't always brilliant but he could work with what he had. The line is horrible, no QB RW or any other is gonna do well with 2nd and 3rd stringers who can't block!

Add RW woes to this and I think why play him? We're not making the playoffs this year. That's essentially over for us. Why waste health and star power on a lost season when there's risk involved?

PNW

Reaction score
getnasty":2cvbs168 said:
If Russell is healthy enough to play you play him.
He couldn’t take a single snap under center, he proved that he was in fact not healthy enough. A healthy Geno would have been better for the team against Greenbay.

AgentDib

Reaction score
chris98251":18ngeidu said:
Name me one instance of any head coach, including those two, sitting their superstar QB in an important game when the QB was medically cleared and wanting to play. It hasn't happened, it won't happen, and it's silly to suggest that it would happen.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
AgentDib":1v5u169b said:
chris98251":1v5u169b said:
Name me one instance of any head coach, including those two, sitting their superstar QB in an important game when the QB was medically cleared and wanting to play. It hasn't happened, it won't happen, and it's silly to suggest that it would happen.

Carson Palmer, Brady when he tried to do more then he was asked to. Oh and Winston also.....

Palmegranite

Reaction score
AgentDib":2rhyxgai said:
chris98251":2rhyxgai said:
Wade Phillips. Sat Doug Flutie, who carried the Bills to a playoff berth, for, wait for it......Rob Johnson.

They did not win the game of course.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Geno isn't winning that game.

That isn't why you play Geno.

You play Geno so that Wilson can heal so he is 100% for the next game.

That ship has sailed.

Sit Wilson for the next game because you know he is going to say he is 100% when he might not be.

Elemas

Reaction score
I’ve never been a fan of the trade Russ talk as I’d like to see him as a Hawk under someone other than PC. But, it’s obvious this team needs a rebuild.

I doubt PC likes that idea. Maybe they’re both gone after this season? Whatever the case, I’m sure they’d get a king’s ransom for RW. Hopefully, we’d draft smarter than we have in these last few years. You’ve got to admit that it’s been very subpar as of late.

If RW went to a team like the Saints, that’s an instant contender there. Maybe it would work out all the way around…maybe.

This would also be the time to move Wagz. As much as I like DK, I can’t see him wanting to be here if PC is still running the show. DKs antics are getting tiring as well. Get a first and third…maybe a first and second. I doubt we’d recoup much more than that (if that). He’d likely thrive else where.

If you’re going to rebuild, go ahead and rebuild (clean house). You’d also need to unload JA (if someone would take the bait). Fanbase would need to have patience as THE SUCK would certainly occur. I suppose you could say it would be no different than what we’re seeing now.

I hate the idea of Russ on another team but it’s becoming a bit clearer….and “feels” like it’s destined to happen.

misfit

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":31psszkt said:
Maelstrom787":31psszkt said:
chris98251":31psszkt said:
OrangeGravy":31psszkt said:
I'm fine with the player, just don't want to pay him what he'll ask for during a rebuild

John has liked Mahomes, Tannehill, Wilson, all three have looked to of panned out, I would think he can spot QB talent, we need draft capital to rebuild, we need cap relief to get better, sometimes you bite the bullet to stop the bleeding.

Don't forget all the buzz about him and Josh Allen, who he personally went to go watch.

John knows quarterbacks. Every quarterback he's been really linked to has panned out.
I'm fine keeping John. I want all players that have outside value traded. Few exceptions for 1st/2nd year guys and cheap vets. Turn and burn the roster like the early days until guys stick. Hell, I don't really care if Pete stays or goes. I'm OK going run heavy with good D in a reboot situation. I'm just done watching this offense with Russ. Big plays are great and all, but if I want to see big plays amongst otherwise terrible offense, I'll watch a high-school game

In what world in this a winning strategy? Ship out all the talent? This team has proven they struggle when they have cap room. Young talent should be retained even in a rebuild. Old talent should go? Yes. Run heavy w a good d only works if you have that running back that can carry you and we dont have that either. Terrible contracts like carson are setting this team back more than russ

Elemas

Reaction score
Take what we can but, DK will command a significant amount come contract time. You don’t find 1300 yard, 10 TD receivers every day but, he could bring some capital. If you’re truly cleaning house, you clean house. Big contracts….gone. Recoup as many picks for the first 2-3 years and pray a good QB wants to come your way. Maybe land a middle of the road vet that manages Pete Ball well.

misfit

Reaction score
GemCity":2xszl66l said:
Take what we can but, DK will command a significant amount come contract time. You don’t find 1300 yard, 10 TD receivers every day but, he could bring some capital. If you’re truly cleaning house, you clean house. Big contracts….gone. Recoup as many picks for the first 2-3 years and pray a good QB wants to come your way. Maybe land a middle of the road vet that manages Pete Ball well.

Damien Lewis gonna command a big salary in a few years too so lets trade him as well. Lockett has a big salary lets trade him as well and get value as well. Lets get rid of all our talent and only have draft picks and money. Lets have as little talent as possible so we can be good in 10 years hopefully

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
You kind of need a few key Vets, they don't have to be big name guys but guys that lead by example and can teach players how to be pro's. Then load up on draft picks, you need a core within a few years of each other to build a long lasting team. One player at a time doesn't do it. Oh and hit on a large percentage of those picks also.

Elemas

Reaction score
misfit":m5khc0rk said:
GemCity":m5khc0rk said:

Damien Lewis gonna command a big salary in a few years too so lets trade him as well. Lockett has a big salary lets trade him as well and get value as well. Lets get rid of all our talent and only have draft picks and money. Lets have as little talent as possible so we can be good in 10 years hopefully

You can hold Lewis for a few…and he’s also a lineman. He won’t get DK dollars.

DKs going to command a big contract. Tyler was held at a reasonable price. I thought the main beef with folks around here is the big $$$ contracts??

Linemen and defense….if we’re playing under PC, the best chance at future success is bolstering these positions. If it’s not PC, why not keep Russ?

misfit

Reaction score
GemCity":38ll5uah said:
misfit":38ll5uah said:
GemCity":38ll5uah said:

You can hold Lewis for a few…and he’s also a lineman. He won’t get DK dollars.

DKs going to command a big contract. Tyler was held at a reasonable price. I thought the main beef with folks around here is the big $$$ contracts??

Linemen and defense….if we’re playing under PC, the best chance at future success is bolstering these positions. If it’s not PC, why not keep Russ?

If thats the mentality that were not going to pay anyone and just stack money and picks and suck at drafting with no qb I guess we can just turn into the New York Jets :cry: