Is Anthony Richardson worth pick 5?

godawg

Reaction score
Do people remember that in the 2018, we passed on Lamar Jackson with the 27th pick to take Rashaad Penny?

rjdriver

Reaction score
Do people remember that in the 2018, we passed on Lamar Jackson with the 27th pick to take Rashaad Penny?

So we avoided a QB asking for a trade while demanding 40 million a year.

Every fan of every NFL team could play the draft "what if" game years after the fact. I try not to, even though taking someone way out of place bothers me more than taking the eventual wrong guy. Fans need to have as short a memory as QB's after throwing a pick if they want to have any semblance of sanity.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
and don't forget, they also passed on Chubb. Because we haven't been reminded of this 278,223 times over the years.
Also, the entire league passed on Jackson until pick 32. Not just the Hawks.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Here's a vid by Brandon at Just Good Sports dedicated to....Anthony Richardson.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Watched couple of Hooker's games, I didn't quite like his decision making. It could be him or it could be the system or plays, but guessing that could improve with coaching,?
I think in-play decision making is one of the most important aspects of QB play. Some have it, some don’t. Hard to make chicken salad out of chicken 💩.

toffee

Reaction score
and don't forget, they also passed on Chubb. Because we haven't been reminded of this 278,223 times over the years.
Also, the entire league passed on Jackson until pick 32. Not just the Hawks.
At the time, Hawks had a proven scrambling QB, quite sure Pete didn't want to dealt with the pushing back from Wilson on drafting another scrambling QB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

So did every other team with a top 10 QB.

Jackson also threw for 9,000 yards and almost had 70 TD's at Louisville AND won two Heisman's.

Yeah, REALLY bad comparison.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A lot of people would rather just point out the bad, all while blatantly ignoring the GOOD that the front office has done.
Player x gets passed on: THE HAWKS ARE IDIOTS!!! Yet, the entire league will pass on the same exact guy.
This team has had their share of Duds, obviously. But so has most or ALL front offices.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Richardson might be a really good NFL QB, maybe even great.

But people keep throwing out really bad comps when discussing him. Dude barely played one year, was out of the top 100 college QB's for accuracy stats and is nowhere near a sure thing...........and probably needs YEARS of development.

So it's fine if you want us to risk #5 on him, it might work out great. But don't act like he's the next <proven college QB.>

TwilightError

Reaction score
I have a feeling this is gonna happen and AR15 will be the next great Seahawks QB. There is so much buzz around it. Speculation on trading up for him and Schneider having discussions with his agent… It would be cool to have that to look forward to while watching Geno for a season. Success is really up to having good enough coaches working with him. I think this player just needs the right landing spot and Seattle might be just that.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I'm not sold on AR at all. Athleticism might help you slip a sack or pick up a first down early in your career, but it's not a replacement for being able to read a defense, make good decisions, or throw with accuracy.

(List of 30 athletic 1st round QBs that were busts omitted)

For example, AR had a 54% completion rate, Hendon Hooker 70%. Hooker may not be the athlete Richardson is, but I don't see Hooker having an even TD:INT ratio in the NFL like I do Richardson.

I'd be much happier with a mid/late round pick on someone with a high completion percentage and TD:INT even if they were not in a marquee program. I find that risk/reward much more palatable.

Based on this theory these guys would be worth a 7th/UDFA:

Jake Haener 72% 20:3
Grayson McCall 69.7% 24:2

olyfan63

Reaction score
What I remember is that we passed on RB Jonathan Taylor to draft LB Jordyn Brooks.

Hard to know if Richardson will excel in the NFL. Terrelle Pryor had all the tools, possibly more (faster) and couldn't get it done. Was hella fun watching Pryor's 93 yard run TD vs the Steelers though. I've jumped off the Richardson train for the Seahawks, though I do expect him to turn out much better than Pryor in the NFL.

Vesuve

Reaction score
I'm not sold on AR at all. Athleticism might help you slip a sack or pick up a first down early in your career, but it's not a replacement for being able to read a defense, make good decisions, or throw with accuracy.

(List of 30 athletic 1st round QBs that were busts omitted)

For example, AR had a 54% completion rate, Hendon Hooker 70%. Hooker may not be the athlete Richardson is, but I don't see Hooker having an even TD:INT ratio in the NFL like I do Richardson.
Wise words.

AR getting a lot of attention now....too much I think.

BASF

Reaction score
It's funny that some of you are citing the growing talk of us drafting Richardson as proof. Almost every mock had us taking Malik Willis. Almost all the talk around Willis was that he would go top ten. Actual NFL teams saw through the crap with him and he went third round. Richardson is immensely gifted. He may be a great QB in three years time. At pick five, you do not take a two year project.

WarHawks

Reaction score
It's a shame that the year we finally get a top 5 pick, and the talent level just doesn't seem as high as in previous years. Although, maybe that's just because I'm scrutinizing it much more closely than before, since we have a high pick. High pick bias?

massari

Reaction score
Couch potatoes keep brining up his cmp%, but I've heard multiple former QBs, multiple legit draft analysts, and a scout all say they feel better about the low comp% after watching all his game film. He had terrible receivers, a lot of drops, throw aways, bad play calling ect, but he still needs to work on being consistently more accurate and better ball control like Josh Allen had to coming out.

If Schneider likes Richardson enough to take at #5, I think you all should be happy and exited about that prospect.

Last edited:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
At pick five, you do not take a two year project.
I disagree. Aaron Rodgers sat for three year. Was he worth it?

With the #5 overall pick, I want some serious juice to look forward to for the next ten years.

Carter doesn't do it for me... neither does Tyree Wilson... and neither does Will Anderson, though he comes the closest of those I've listed.

I want AR15... and all of the high hopes that come with him.