Iowa State Will McDonald the Hawks best 2023 draft prospect

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
I started watching him a lot and I like him. I still don't like him enough to be a top 10 pick. I agree that he has massive upside.

Some of the things I see that are positives:
  1. Explosive: Dude is really athletic and it will probably show up at the Combine.
  2. Bendy: He can definitely turn the corner while engaging with an OT.
  3. Dangerous counters: Because he is so quick, OTs are scared of him. He is able to execute counters (spins, hesi-steps). I'm not sure how much this will work with more athletic and more refined tackles in the league.
The reality is he is still a big project. He's not a plug and play Edge. He doesn't have refined moves other than a spin and a few counters. He can come screaming off the edge with good hand technique. Again...I'm just not sure it will work very much in the NFL. He will also need to get stronger and bigger (which he will do). The tape also shows OTs can neutralize him pretty quickly once they get their hands on him. His best move is the spin move that can become ineffective because he does it randomly at times.

I don't know what the Seahawks are going to do. He does scream Seahawk to me. Someone full of traits. I wouldn't feel comfortable with taking him in the top 10 right now. Top 20? Maybe. I wouldn't hate it given what he has shown he can do and what he can become. It would still make me feel like it was a reach. But with 2 first round picks, you can gamble just a tad bit.
It's obvious that you studied McDonald, but your argument doesn't add up as him being a big project in our scheme. You say he has good hand technique (which is not a given for all 1st round pass rushers), he has a spin move (which most if not all, elite 1st round pass rushers, don't have or can't execute like McDonnald), randomness with pass rush moves is what makes them so effective, and you downgrade him for it.

McDonnald also has good speed to power for his size. That speed/bend, with great spin move have offensive lineman on their heels and guessing...that's when he can change it up and long arm bull rush the o-lineman when they are back pedaling on their heels.

We both like him, if we got him at #20 I would think it would be the steal of the draft. Then at #5 I would be happy with whoever, for the most part.

Last edited:

Seattle Person

Reaction score
It's obvious that you studied McDonald, but your argument doesn't add up as him being a big project in our scheme. You say he has good hand technique (which is not a given for all 1st round pass rushers), he has a spin move (which most if not all, elite 1st round pass rushers, have or can execute like McDonnald), randomness with pass rush moves is what makes then so effective, and you downgrade him for it.

McDonnald also has good speed to power for his size. That speed/bend, with great spin move have offensive lineman on their heels and guessing...that's when he can change it up and long arm bull rush the o-lineman when they are back pedaling on their heels.

We both like him, if we got him at #20 I would think it would be the steal of the draft. Then at #5 I would be happy with whoever, for the most part.

I still think he's a project. Maybe not a huge project but still not a full-time starter in the league yet. He is most likely going to go in the first round because of his traits. His length and raw athleticism is impressive. His hand usage is good when he speed-rushes an OT. There is proof of a rip move. There is proof of a side-swipe. I would like him to be able to use his length and hands even more. He should convert speed to power more because of his superman length arms. I'm not saying he can't do these things but simply stating he hasn't shown it as much in games. Plus the defense they ran at Iowa did not suit him. Maybe he gets unleashed in the NFL. Sometimes that happens. I would be concerned with him being able to hold up and setting the edge at his size. We saw how Darrell Taylor struggled with this. Maybe McDonald is more sound and disciplined in this area.

For a top 10 pick, I would want my prospect to be closer to a Kayvon Thibodeaux. K.T has a more refined set of pass rush moves. Plays the run well and can drop back into coverage. He was a plug and play player. He was really polished coming into the league. He was a top 5 talent. McDonald is quick and bendy. He doesn't have Thib's hands or power.

If we are talking about a player that was a little bit below but not as polished then we're talking about a Josh Allen type out of Kentucky. He was thought of as a speed demon just like McDonald is. Allen also had a lack of refined rush moves but showed that he was very versatile. He was dropping back into coverage 15-20 yards down field. Out of Kentucky he was still more polished than what McDonald is now. He has turned out to be a hell of a player.

Now I'm slowly making my way over to your side of the argument. McDonald actually reminds me of Leonard Floyd when he came out of Georgia. McDonald bends the corner better but both were high motor, quick step, both weren't polished as a rusher, and both have strength/weight concerns in college. Floyd was an older prospect too and was 24 when he entered the league. Floyd went in the top 10... and went to have a pretty good career. He didn't have high sack numbers when he was with the Bears but turned out to be a top Edge player with the Rams. We would want the Rams' version more to justify the top 10 pick.

Again. Overall, I would be pleased with McDonald at let's say #9 if the team trades down. I wouldn't love the pick because I think there are more impactful players that would probably be on the board. McDonald has lots to work with. I do think he's closer to Leonard Floyd (The Bears version) than Josh Allen at this point of his football career. Floyd was really solid his first few seasons but I don't think justified the top 10 selection when he was with the Bears.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
I still think he's a project. Maybe not a huge project but still not a full-time starter in the league yet. He is most likely going to go in the first round because of his traits. His length and raw athleticism is impressive. His hand usage is good when he speed-rushes an OT. There is proof of a rip move. There is proof of a side-swipe. I would like him to be able to use his length and hands even more. He should convert speed to power more because of his superman length arms. I'm not saying he can't do these things but simply stating he hasn't shown it as much in games. Plus the defense they ran at Iowa did not suit him. Maybe he gets unleashed in the NFL. Sometimes that happens. I would be concerned with him being able to hold up and setting the edge at his size. We saw how Darrell Taylor struggled with this. Maybe McDonald is more sound and disciplined in this area.

For a top 10 pick, I would want my prospect to be closer to a Kayvon Thibodeaux. K.T has a more refined set of pass rush moves. Plays the run well and can drop back into coverage. He was a plug and play player. He was really polished coming into the league. He was a top 5 talent. McDonald is quick and bendy. He doesn't have Thib's hands or power.

If we are talking about a player that was a little bit below but not as polished then we're talking about a Josh Allen type out of Kentucky. He was thought of as a speed demon just like McDonald is. Allen also had a lack of refined rush moves but showed that he was very versatile. He was dropping back into coverage 15-20 yards down field. Out of Kentucky he was still more polished than what McDonald is now. He has turned out to be a hell of a player.

Now I'm slowly making my way over to your side of the argument. McDonald actually reminds me of Leonard Floyd when he came out of Georgia. McDonald bends the corner better but both were high motor, quick step, both weren't polished as a rusher, and both have strength/weight concerns in college. Floyd was an older prospect too and was 24 when he entered the league. Floyd went in the top 10... and went to have a pretty good career. He didn't have high sack numbers when he was with the Bears but turned out to be a top Edge player with the Rams. We would want the Rams' version more to justify the top 10 pick.

Again. Overall, I would be pleased with McDonald at let's say #9 if the team trades down. I wouldn't love the pick because I think there are more impactful players that would probably be on the board. McDonald has lots to work with. I do think he's closer to Leonard Floyd (The Bears version) than Josh Allen at this point of his football career. Floyd was really solid his first few seasons but I don't think justified the top 10 selection when he was with the Bears.
Awesome, respectful push back. I still don't think we don't see him exactly the same, but that's scouting...no harm no foul.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Good call Chevy.. I think he will fly up the draft boards. I suspect he will have an elite split.
He looks to have so many elite traits that can't be taught. I agree on his spilt....looks 1.5, and he has elite bend, and elite length!

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
He looks to have so many elite traits that can't be taught. I agree on his spilt....looks 1.5, and he has elite bend, and elite length!
He may end up top 12…. It may come down between a qb and him w our first pick. ( small trade down if for him probably)

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
He may end up top 12…. It may come down between a qb and him w our first pick. ( small trade down if for him probably)
Yeah maybe. Here is a fun evaluation to do back-to-back evaluations of who is the best athlete of the 3...Alabama (OLB/DE) Will Anderson, or Clemson (OLB) Trenton Simpson, or Iowa St (OLB/DE) Will McDonald?

I was so unimpressed (athletically) with Anderson and Simpson after having seen so much of McDonald. Both Anderson and Simpson are rated way higher than McDonald. I also think McDonald is a more refined pass rusher than Anderson. Lazy scouting by scouting people or afraid to go against the grain IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Mel Kiper now has Will McDonald in top-10 of his latest mock draft. If we want Will McDonnald, better get him with our top pick.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I’ve watched this kid wreck the Hawkeyes a few times … imo he’s what PC wanted when we drafted Bruce..

This is the Polished version Bruce who imo will is NFL ready and will start day one. His speed, it’s just amazing. His hand work is amazing like Avril’s. His spin technique is enough he’s not washing himself out of plays like Bruce does. He doesn’t over Pursue and is always around the QB or in his face.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Here is some more ammo to consider drafting Will McDonald at #5, if not taking a QB.

Here is a good, authentic answers to the media, video of OLB/DE Will McDonald. I've seen a lot of combine interviews through the years and guys seem to say all the right things, but it doesn't line up with how they play during games. Will McDonald is soft spoken, but don't let that fool you to thinking he is soft. Former Steelers Safety Troy Polamalu was a soft spoken person during interviews, but he was a menace on the football field. McDonald is that same way on the field. He seems to be a student of the game and doesn't just rely on being athletic., which shows watching his games. It sounds like he is good with adversity, which is trait Pete also like with his players. He does not have the personality to be a team leader, but that can be found with one of the 10 other starters on defense.

Drafting a good but not elite talent because he was the offensive or defensive team captain/alpha dog voice on his college team in the top-10 is bad idea. Former Raiders GM made that mistake when he drafted DE Clelin Ferrell with the #4 overall pick in the 2019 draft. Clemson had a loaded defense and Ferrell was the defensive team captain/alpha dog which Mayock put too much value on and over drafted him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Here is a bit more of him.

McDonald is a humble down to earth prospect, like the way Bobby Wagner was coming out. Whereas Will Anderson is all talk, fake tough guy. McDonald is the superior prospect by far!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
I would be totatally on board will either AR15 or Will Levis at #5 and Will McDonald at #20.
I doubt Will McDonald will be there at #20. I know thats how the mock draft simulators play it out, but its not reality.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I doubt Will McDonald will be there at #20. I know thats how the mock draft simulators play it out, but its not reality.
Are you somehow related to Will by chance?? ;)

Or possibly on the Iowa State payroll? Because you're one hell of a hype man.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Are you somehow related to Will by chance?? ;)
I just believe in my scouting. I know almost everyone relies on what other people say on prospects, and sometimes give it off as their own evaluation to dismiss what I have said about a prospect.

It's easy to be dismissive, especially when you haven't put in the time/work to evaluate a prospect.

I'm not so much directing this at you CatusJack, but I am at most on here that know they just read mocks and don't look at film.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I just believe in my scouting. I know almost everyone relies on what other people say on prospects, and sometimes give it off as their own evaluation to dismiss what I have said about a prospect.

It's easy to be dismissive, especially when you haven't put in the time/work to evaluate a prospect.

I'm not so much directing this at you CatusJack, but I am at most on here that know they just read mocks and don't look at film.
McDonald has kind of flown under the radar. I discovered him a couple of months ago, when I got heavy into scouting some of the prospects. He's definitely someone who fits the Seahawk profile.

I recently updated my prospect rankings & he made my top 20 list.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
McDonald has kind of flown under the radar. I discovered him a couple of months ago, when I got heavy into scouting some of the prospects. He's definitely someone who fits the Seahawk profile.

I recently updated my prospect rankings & he made my top 20 list.
Oh. You should have been on here in the NCAA football talk. I have been talking about him all during the college football season.

That's nice that you could find him late in the process by yourself.

HawksNation

Reaction score
Iowa State 3-4 DE Will McDonald (6'4" 245lbs) has maybe the highest upside as a 3-4 OLB in the draft. IMO McDonald is the Seahawks best defensive pass rushing OLB target for the 2023. McDonald doesn't have amazing stats, but that's because he is being played as a DE on a 3-4 defense when he is only 245 lbs.! Watching him it's obvious his coaching staff is not utilizing him right. But McDonald may benefit going into the NFL for having the experience of going head up with offensive lineman 80 lbs. bigger than him every rep of his career, and sometimes having to go against double-teams. He has amazing bend and agility to get after the QB. He is not a linear athlete like Will Anderson.

McDonald has long arms (looks 34 inches or 35 inches) for his height, which is a bonus for pass rushers. He also has elite body control/bend for a pass rusher. He is an explosive player off the snap...my comp for him is Steelers OLB/DE TJ Watt. For me McDonald is a top-15 pick (maybe higher after Senior Bowl and Combine). I think he will have much better career than Alabama DE/OLB Will Anderson. Anderson has a higher floor with a much lower ceiling, whereas McDonald has a lower floor, with a much higher ceiling.

Watching his combine drills, he actually looked a little sloppy, slipping multiple times. Byron Young looked NFL caliber, and hopefully we could get him later in the draft. I really like McDonald’s film, but 5 seems like a reach to me.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Here is some more ammo to consider drafting Will McDonald at #5, if not taking a QB.

Here is a good, authentic answers to the media, video of OLB/DE Will McDonald. I've seen a lot of combine interviews through the years and guys seem to say all the right things, but it doesn't line up with how they play during games. Will McDonald is soft spoken, but don't let that fool you to thinking he is soft. Former Steelers Safety Troy Polamalu was a soft spoken person during interviews, but he was a menace on the football field. McDonald is that same way on the field. He seems to be a student of the game and doesn't just rely on being athletic., which shows watching his games. It sounds like he is good with adversity, which is trait Pete also like with his players. He does not have the personality to be a team leader, but that can be found with one of the 10 other starters on defense.
<snip>

It's interesting you pick on McDonald's "personality" from a "team leadership" standpoint. I'm seeing McDonald's "personality" as a huge team leadership asset and definitely a recognized team leader by year 3, if not sooner. A player doesn't have to have a loud voice, be a motormouth, and a big rah-rah guy to be a team leader. Not that you're giving those as a criteria; that's just a stereotype I pulled out of my ass. What "personality" traits do you see as being necessary for a team leader on the Seahawks, and where does McDonald's personality fall short?

McDonald strikes me as a "leads-by-example" kind of guy, who will set an example and influence others with his film study, football intellect, and engage teammates with him in that stuff, and then on the field, lead with his overall high motor, work habits, analyze-and-adjust ability, and (projected) excellent results. I get a Cliff Avril type of vibe from McDonald, in a lot of different ways. Also, McDonald explicitly made a lot of good navigational choices in his life to be in the position he's in, stuck with his choices, did the work, a bloom-where-you're-planted type of guy, now potentially a top-10 draft pick.

I think McDonald will be very successful in the NFL and would love to see the Seahawks grab him. I re-watched some of the Seahawks 2013-2014 games and the "speed and togetherness" of that LOB defense really stood out. Guys knowing their jobs and their fit in the scheme and playing fast. McDonald could be a great asset in Pete's vision of an LOB 2.0 type of elite defense.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I can't remember the last draft where there wasn't a consensus #1 pick. This entire top ten seems like a total crap shoot.