Interesting Pete quote on Bump and Stacy today. Thoughts?

King Dog

Reaction score
I thought this quote was interesting. We've heard it now for a minute. I have a lot of thoughts on this, but interested what you think.

"We're feeling really good about the work that we did and we're confident we went thorough the process and really did all the work we did to understand who we're getting. We've had so much emphasis in the last few years really about the character and personality and the make up of the person, almost more so than the numbers and the measures and all that, uh to really know who's joining our club...."

Rainger

Reaction score
I thought this quote was interesting. We've heard it now for a minute. I have a lot of thoughts on this, but interested what you think.

"We're feeling really good about the work that we did and we're confident we went thorough the process and really did all the work we did to understand who we're getting. We've had so much emphasis in the last few years really about the character and personality and the make up of the person, almost more so than the numbers and the measures and all that, uh to really know who's joining our club...."
ME3! About himself and not the team!!!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

I can see that in the last few drafts. Carroll is going back to the pissed off, chip on the shoulder sort of guys that play with a mean streak.

This is exactly why I scoffed whenever I heard people say that we were going to take Jalen Carter. Carter is exactly the type of player that Carroll has been trying to move away from. I've especially seen this shift after Wilson was shipped away.

Carroll got away from what worked for him, got away from what really made his program special back in 2010-2014. The LOB was what it was because of that attitude, that moxie that the secondary brought. Doesn't matter whether it was Kam, Thomas, Browner or Sherman, they were out to prove a point and they were out to mug, and hit opposing receivers at the LOS, after they got the ball, while they were running their routes.

Our receivers, Tate and Baldwin would just as likely to take off your head blocking in the running game as they were to go out and catch a pass. Tate in particular was extremely physical and punishing as a receiver. Punishing whether he was doing a run after the catch, high pointing the ball or blocking.

We really got away from things starting with the Percy Harvin choice.

Last edited:

Okieseahawk

Reaction score
I can see that in the last few drafts. Carroll is going back to the pissed off, chip on the shoulder sort of guys that play with a mean streak.

This is exactly why I scoffed whenever I heard people say that we were going to take Jalen Carter. Carter is exactly the type of player that Carroll has been trying to move away from. I've especially seen this shift after Wilson was shipped away.

Carroll got away from what worked for him, got away from what really made his program special back in 2010-2014. The LOB was what it was because of that attitude, that moxie that the secondary brought. Doesn't matter whether it was Kam, Thomas, Browner or Sherman, they were out to prove a point and they were out to mug, and hit opposing receivers at the LOS, after they got the ball, while they were running their routes.

Our receivers, Tate and Baldwin would just as likely to take off your head blocking in the running game as they were to go out and catch a pass. Tate in particular was extremely physical and punishing as a receiver. Punishing whether he was doing a run after the catch, high pointing the ball or blocking.

I’ll never forget Golden Tate almost decapitating Cowboys MLB Sean Lee on a cut back block. I think it was his rookie year. Definitely a hungry player with something to prove, just like Angry Doug and Russ before he wanted to cook.

bigskydoc

Reaction score

Dead nuts on. I was sitting here trying to think of when we got away from adding the kind of hungry, dedicated, "love of the game," type players that made us so succesful in thr early years of this dynasty, when I read this. I would say that the Harvin and McDowell additions are the bookends on their deviation into recruiting for something other than heart.

They wandered in the wilderness, from 2018 to 2021, but seem to have found their way back in 2022. Let's hope they continue to recruit for the kind of player that does best in a Pete Carroll positivity system.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
…..ahhh, we’re back to the Tim Ruskell philosophy of drafting. Got it!
this front office isn't even close to Tim Ruskell bad. Come on man. Be better.
Back to back killer drafts, and as expected, plenty are not happy. Death, taxes and dot negative......

Oh well, to each his/her own. Meanwhile, I'm digging the last 2 drafts. Keep it rollin.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Dead nuts on. I was sitting here trying to think of when we got away from adding the kind of hungry, dedicated, "love of the game," type players that made us so succesful in thr early years of this dynasty, when I read this. I would say that the Harvin and McDowell additions are the bookends on their deviation into recruiting for something other than heart.

They wandered in the wilderness, from 2018 to 2021, but seem to have found their way back in 2022. Let's hope they continue to recruit for the kind of player that does best in a Pete Carroll positivity system.
And for those who are into mock drafts, when we start doing them again at the end of the 2023 season (or whenever), someone should do one based strictly on BPA, high character, and love of game (rather than stats and talent) and see what we come up with. Would be interesting to compare a few of those for curiosity's sake.

Scout

Reaction score
I think it also speaks about finding players that provide leadership or let their speaking be done on the field. Brooks is an example of a good player but he isn't going to be a leader or alpha prime in the front seven.

For example Witherspoon looks forward to competing against DK Metcalf. That confidence and attitude has been missing for a while. The edge of the Hawks defense is slowly coming back into the fold once more.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Ruskell was focused on moral/social character.

OCJS are focusing on football character.

Big difference.
There's a lot of people that almost seem to refuse to acknowledge the difference. There was so much of it in the lead up to the draft.

chris98251

Reaction score
He is back to drafting Football acumen, performance on the field, not just measurables, they are also looking at the persons drive to succeed against all odds, love of the game. How their personality blends with what the team is trying to do, is it all about me or is it about the team and my success coming with the teams success.

I also think it's about the Chip factor again and physicality. We have some guys now that are great people off the filed, great team mates, but game time they flip a switch and become rabid dog types.

Our LOB in Kam, Sherman, Browner, Marshaun, Earl set the tone with a physical presence and attitude. I see that in many of the last two drafts players.

sutz

Reaction score
I think they got lost in SPARQ scores and non-football related measurables for a couple of years.

Since last year, it looks like they're back to emphasizing football skills and football character in their choices.

I think it bodes well for the near future.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And it's clear that they want guys that actually love football and have a passion for it. Esp. guys with a chip on the shoulder. Carter had a LOT of questions about how much he actually loved football. Just my OWN opinion, but he wouldn't have been a good fit here at all.

Ozzy

Reaction score
This is why it was obvious Carter was never going to be the pick. They dropped this line repeatedly even days before the draft. They want guys who love football and the next wave of leadership. Guys like Witherspoon, JSN and Hall are exactly that. They killed it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

I think Pete and John realized they kinda got away from these draft tenants for a good 4-5 years before last years draft.

Partially because they were desperate to REALLY maximize value over substance due to trading away 1st rounders and not having a lot of picks.

Of course it's easier for Pete to say this when they have a bunch of high picks. So we'll see if this mantra remains going forward, or if they'll revert back to taking more character risks.